(Topic ID: 81820)

Treasure Cove 1/Light cut 1 alternative?

By NJGecko

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by NJGecko
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

My treasure cove powercut 1 has settled in the last few months. The top two layers I can shake back into mix, but there is a fine layer of something on the bottom that won't re-mix, so I'm not planning to use it.

I hate waiting for Treasure Cove to mail them a check, wait for him to process, and send it out to me.
    Pinrestore won't be carrying their light cut 1 any more, but recommended that I pick up an auto polish/swirl remover.

Any recommendations?

#2 5 years ago

Nudge. Anyone?

#3 5 years ago

I use automotive products like Meguir's and Mothers with good results.

#4 5 years ago

I've heard that 3M Finesse It II works well for this.

amazon.com link »

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

My treasure cove powercut 1 has settled in the last few months. The top two layers I can shake back into mix, but there is a fine layer of something on the bottom that won't re-mix, so I'm not planning to use it.

Noticed that on mine as well this past weekend...I flipped the bottle over to see if it will settle back down. I was kinda bummed seeing that too

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

Noticed that on mine as well this past weekend...I flipped the bottle over to see if it will settle back down. I was kinda bummed seeing that too

Yep. I asked TC about it and he said he hadn't heard of it happening, but wasn't sure about products over a year old. Weird.

Was really looking to TC my TZ playfield.

#7 5 years ago

Finesse It products are great, I've also used Menzerna products with good results.

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-intensive-shine-kit.html

1 month later
    #8 5 years ago

Gecko...what direction did you go in? I was just going to order another powercut 1 from TC but wanted to see what you ended up doing.

#9 5 years ago

I picked up some swirl remover from autozone. Pretty sure it was Meguiars. Worked well for me actually!

#10 5 years ago

Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 80 Diamond Cut Compound
    3M 06064 Perfect-It Machine Polish
    3M 06068 Perfect-It Ultrafine Machine Polish
    and for routine cleaning ......
    Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer

I originally purchased the Treasure Cove kits but found the 3M products are great and cheaper than TC. Not certain what TC uses as I assume they're just repackaging their product but I have seen other polishes separate over time.

#11 5 years ago

I feel like if this is happening TC should stand behind their product. Glad that I saw this, will now know what not to order. For the price of it this shouldnt happen...

#12 5 years ago

When I reached out to TC, he actually said to me that he had never heard of it separating, but he didn't know since he had never heard of anyone leaving it sitting for a few months. Little surprised by that.

He did offer to send me a replacement (i'd pay for it) but with free shipping. I didn't want to bother.

#13 5 years ago

I glanced at my TC bottles the other day and noticed they were all seperated. I haven't used them since last fall. Guess I need to polish up my machines more but I've just been using Novus2 and 1 lately.

#14 5 years ago

Same here. Got mine out this past weekend to find that after six months the #1 had separated and could not be mixed again. Looks like this is not an isolated incident. Given the cost of the kit and the availability of more than adaquate alternative products I would not recommend the Treasure Cove Polishing Kit.

#15 5 years ago

Just to make sure no words are mis-taken here, below is what Allen said to me

Those products are from 3M …
    Never heard of any problems, but anything is possible after a year or more…
    I don’t know if it’s useable or not , to be honest.

I CAN GIVE YOU FREE SHIPPING OF YOU PURCAHSE A REPLACEMENT.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

So the treasure cove kit is relabeled 3m products? I guess I was naive and thought they made their own blend of stuff.

#17 5 years ago

for me, the only one that will not mix back together is light cut 1. (and mine had only been sitting for 6 months or so, not a year) seems like 2 and 3 will remix with a little shaking.

I will pick up some of 3M 06068 Perfect-It Ultrafine Machine Polish as MeSz metioned as a replacement for my light cut 1.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

So free shipping if you bought more of a the product that will be messed up in the same way and is just a rebranded 3m product any way. Sounds legit. Now we just have to wait for the sleuths to figure out what 3m products these are...

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

So the treasure cove kit is relabeled 3m products? I guess I was naive and thought they made their own blend of stuff.

You were not naive, they said on their site they formulated it. That is really low...
    "We even formulated our own PowerCut compounds to do the job right, with the least work, while providing the highest possible shine."

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

"We even formulated our own PowerCut compounds to do the job right, with the least work, while providing the highest possible shine."

I used the TC kit once and switched to the 3M and Meguires products above and the end result is the same. The big difference is, when you purchase the 3M and Meguires products off of Amazon you will pay about the same as the TC kit BUT 3M comes in quart size and TC comes in 8 oz size! So if you go with 3M product you will get more for your money.

In all fairness to TC the 3M polishes also separate over time. I contacted 3M about this and was advised "all polishing compounds will separate over time but if you shake it vigorously it will still be effective"!

Lastly, if you go on ebay you can find the 3M polishing pads for less than most other places! The 3M pads last longer than the ones that TC sells.

I hate to steer people away from TC as I would prefer to support a pinball business but if you can save cash and get better quality products (pads) it's hard not too!

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

I used the TC kit once and switched to the 3M and Meguires products above and the end result is the same. The big difference is, when you purchase the 3M and Meguires products off of Amazon you will pay about the same as the TC kit BUT 3M comes in quart size and TC comes in 8 oz size! So if you go with 3M product you will get more for your money.
    In all fairness to TC the 3M polishes also separate over time. I contacted 3M about this and was advised "all polishing compounds will separate over time but if you shake it vigorously it will still be effective"!
    Lastly, if you go on ebay you can find the 3M polishing pads for less than most other places! The 3M pads last longer than the ones that TC sells.
    I hate to steer people away from TC as I would prefer to support a pinball business but if you can save cash and get better quality products (pads) it's hard not too!

Care to make a post about all of the products you use and order you used them? Im sure many would be grateful.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer

I found this product to be greasy . Like using Pledge . But if it works for you . I only use it on the side art. And stay away from the flipper button areas as it makes them sticky.

#23 5 years ago

I think mine has settled too. Maybe stick in a paint shaker??

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Care to make a post about all of the products you use and order you used them? Im sure many would be grateful.

The order in which I posted them above is the order I use them in
    "Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 80 Diamond Cut Compound
    Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer"

I don't have a lot of experience with other products as the only other products I have used is Novus, TC and a Carnauba wax. I felt using Novus did a nice job but when it came to doing machines with heavier dirt on it, it just didn't clean it good enough. This is what prompted me to try the TC kit. I really like the results with this kit but the price was, I felt, too high so it made me look for other products. I was referred to the Meguiar's and 3M products by someone who works with them exclusively. I get the same results as TC so thus the reason I switched over.

Quoted from RobKnapp:

I found this product to be greasy . Like using Pledge . But if it works for you . I only use it on the side art. And stay away from the flipper button areas as it makes them sticky.

I never had this issue. When I use it I spray a micro fiber towel with it and then wipe. When it comes to spraying a playfield with anything liquid I hate to spray directly on it as I can't control where the spray is going. Now that you said this though I will look closer the next time I use it so thanks for the input!

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

The order in which I posted them above is the order I use them in
    "Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 80 Diamond Cut Compound
    Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer"

Some expensive stuff - is it that much better than novus?

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

Some expensive stuff - is it that much better than novus?

Expensive, a little bit but if you're buying TC you're buying 8oz bottles so purchasing the 3M stuff actually is cheaper as you're getting qt. IMO this stuff is a lot better than the Novus but to each their own!

#27 5 years ago

Thanks, disappointing if true about Treasure Cove kit. It does mention on his website, that he help formulated the polish.

#28 5 years ago

It could very well be a mix of multiple 3m products to create the formulation.

#29 5 years ago

Hey all,

Just checked my power cut 1 and it has also settled as well. I opened the bottle and drained the liquid then reached in with a metal prod. The layer at the bottom is hard as a rock. No wonder it will not mix back in. I was able to break off a chunk and remove it from the bottle. With a little working between the fingers I was able to get it back to a powder form. I may try and remove the entire hardened bottom, smash it up fine, then add it back to the liquid and see if that works.

p.s. as long as the alternatives smell like circus peanuts I'm in !

#30 5 years ago

was going to order the 3m product today...does anyone have the link to where I can get new pads that fit the velcro adapter that came with the TC kit?

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

was going to order the 3m product today...does anyone have the link to where I can get new pads that fit the velcro adapter that came with the TC kit?

The 3M pads will work with the adapter that came with the TC kit as it's also a "hookit" Disc Pad! When I purchase my stuff last year I found a guy selling the pads on ebay cheaper than anywhere else I could get them. The polishes I ordered through Amazon as it was the cheapest at that time. Do a little looking around or if price doesnt matter order everything off Amazon!

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from ranchdrsn:

It could very well be a mix of multiple 3m products to create the formulation.

deceptive if that is what they really did... If that is the case I custom formulate alcoholic drinks all the time!

#33 5 years ago

Well...I like the TC kit. The first time I used it I was really impressed with the results. If the contents of number 1 are seperating after sitting for 6 months (thats how long my sat) then it would appear that each batch is "formuatled" as they are ordered.

I'm just glad to see others have had this same problem. Almost wished we had a powercut 1a and power cut 1b. Kinda like epoxy...mix 8 parts of 1a with 1 part 1b before use. This would extend the life of powercut 1 until you used to entire amount rather than trying to get all your machines done before the contents crap out...

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

deceptive if that is what they really did... If that is the case I custom formulate alcoholic drinks all the time!

I don't think that's deceptive at all.

It's no secret that all the ingredients of their kit could be purchased elsewhere and likely at a savings.

Their time to *figure out what worked*, package it, make the video, ship orders, answer questions, etc is worth *something*

After all, it *is* how Allen makes his living.

The fact that it separates does kinda suck. I don't argue with that.

But it's not like we all expected Allen to be sitting somewhere in a lab in a white coat, pocket protector in pocket, safety glasses on, and a vial in each hand, carefully mixing ingredients and measuring results.

2 months later
    #35 5 years ago

Just figured I'd bump this again to see if any new opinions have come out!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 41.00
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 40.00
    Metalhead Pinball
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 999.00
    € 59.80
    Lighting - Backbox
    Freddys Pinball Paradise
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 34.50
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.99
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rods Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside