6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tslayer71
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Folks:

Back a long time ago I worked in the telephone industry. There, we commonly found wires buried deep in cable bundles with a tone probe. This was a 2 piece setup with a tone generator and a tone probe. I'm wondering if this concept is used when tracing wires in pinball wire bundles? If yes, any recommendations as to specific equipment?

#2 6 years ago

Progressive electronics makes the generator and wand that most people use in the industry. You could probably get something cheaper at Lowe's or home Depot. You'll definitely hear the tone with the far end open. If far end is terminated with molex to PCB you may not hear it - don't know. I would tone a pair of wires that you know where the far end goes to and test it out... I've thought of that before, but never tried it. I use the schematic's....

#3 6 years ago

A DMM will do the same thing and more and likely cheaper.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from bkbirge:

A DMM will do the same thing and more and likely cheaper.

Don't know of any multimeter's that generate an inductive tone...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/traxing-wires-with-a-tone-probe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.