3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG-20161102-WA0000 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

My wife and I are currently planning our trip to New Zealand in February 2018. Neither of us have been there previously.

Wondering if any "natives" would be willing to chat with me about things to see/do/etc.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Thanks.

Robert

#2 3 years ago

I am going too. Please post. It would be very useful to me.
    Thanks

#3 3 years ago

Lots of us on here, I'm sure we can give you some ideas

If you can push it back to March you could attend Pincade:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiwi-pincade-2016-dates-announced

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiwi-pincade-2017-offical-thread

Don't think the dates have been set for 2018 yet

#4 3 years ago

Good question.
    Ill be coming for the America's cup in 2020.
    We will look into housing soon, probably there a good 30 days.
    By the way.
    Congrats to team New Zealand for winning the cup again. Fast boat and worthy Champions.

#5 3 years ago

Spent 3 weeks there...loved it! 1 week North island, 2 weeks South.

#6 3 years ago

RD... calling RD

#7 3 years ago

Probably did all the touristy highlights. Hiked(?tramped) in Taupo so I could climb Mount Doom and throw the ring in, drove through the Shire, checked out some hot springs and falls somewhere around there I think, stayed in Napier--art deco town, spent some time in Picton hiking/camping/kayaking, climbed a glacier on the West coast near Greymouth I think, hung out in Queenstown a bit before spending a bunch of time in Fiordland National Park--hike/kayak/camp etc. Drank a bunch of Speight's.

Didn't spot a pinball machine anywhere but I wasn't looking. Did play several mini golf courses along the way.

Edit: if you go through Picton be sure to hit up Seumus' Irish Bar if you like a good Guinness.

#8 3 years ago

Appreciate the inputs so far.

Robert

#9 3 years ago

Soo much to see. On north island: Waitomo caves with glow worms, Rotorua and Taupo with all the thermal hot pool stuff (search for 'kerosene creek") and Maori cultural experience. Napier (of course I live there) art deco capital, wineries and nice cycling. Also an out of this world experience is the Tongariro crossing: walking on a sleeping vulcano in a moon landscape. O yes, hot water beach is also an special experience.
    And on the south island so many things.
    But be carefull on the sometimes very windy roads. And keep driving left....

#10 3 years ago

Also the gannet colony and Te Mata peak near Napier are well worth a visit.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from DDDwingmaster:

the gannet colony and Te Mata peak near Napier are well worth a visit.

Forgot about that! Did that hike at low tide to check out the birds and the awesome cliffs along the way. That is a fun one.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Probably did all the touristy highlights. Hiked(?tramped) in Taupo so I could climb Mount Doom and throw the ring in, drove through the Shire, checked out some hot springs and falls somewhere around there I think, stayed in Napier--art deco town, spent some time in Picton hiking/camping/kayaking, climbed a glacier on the West coast near Greymouth I think, hung out in Queenstown a bit before spending a bunch of time in Fiordland National Park--hike/kayak/camp etc. Drank a bunch of Speight's.
    Didn't spot a pinball machine anywhere but I wasn't looking. Did play several mini golf courses along the way.
    Edit: if you go through Picton be sure to hit up Seumus' Irish Bar if you like a good Guinness.

I was there a couple of years ago & am ready to go back.

#13 3 years ago

plenty to see and do here. the south island is more picturesque than the north (colder too). you will want to tie in a visit to rotordave's games room if possible

#14 3 years ago

Appreciate the inputs so far, thanks.

Robert

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

My wife and I are currently planning our trip to New Zealand in February 2018. Neither of us have been there previously

Don't tell anyone, but Pincade is going to be March 8th to 11th next year. Slated to start in Wellington OR Christchurch on Thursday 8th and come up to Auckland Friday afternoon 9th-11th.

Pincade gets attendees from all over the world ... last year there were 110 people at my place on the Sunday. Worthwhile timing your trip around that if you can.

As far as pins in the wild, they are few and far between. CLG is doing his best to reverse that in Wellington, and there is a new arcade opening in Chch soon. But most pins are in peoples houses these days.

NZ has become one of the tourist "must go" places, with a wide variety of things to do. So it very much depends on what you want to do ... if you want to bungy off a bridge, we got it. If you want to tour wineries, we got that too. World class restaurants .. come on down.

The downside of NZs popularity is that some places are now very busy. When Ben Heck came to stay at my place last year, we tried to book him into Queenstown, but the whole place was booked up for the whole of February!

Everyone is different, and it depends on tastes, but some things I recommend:

Auckland: Waterfront dining and drinking
    Hobbiton: LOTR sets and hobbit beer
    Rotorua: thermal area and Maori villages
    Queenstown: lots to do there

Driving around NZ is cool, but challenging for Americans used to wide, straight roads. NZ has only one wide straight road .. the rest are narrow and winding, and we drive on the other side of the road.

Hope all that is a little bit helpful.

rd

#16 3 years ago

Thanks RD I am trying. As to pincade next year it could still be Wellington, looks like we are not missing any key players, we are going to get back to Yee soon. If all goes well an existing venue in Wellington is going to have a decent sized regular line up from next month so there will hopefully be a few places with pinball in Wellington.

As to general ideas on what to do it would be helpful to know what you are looking for. Cities, natural scenery sorts of things, food, wine, adventure sports, mountain biking, surfing?

All good suggestions so far from others. I would add to it Wellington is good but I am biased

Look into some of the great walks if you like that sort of thing. Some are multi day some single day. http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/things-to-do/walking-and-tramping/great-walks/

Agreed on booking Queenstown early, we are headed there late this year and when I booked 6 months out options were getting limited. SI has some pretty spectacular scenery. Milford Sound is worth the visit but a bit of a drive, you can fly from Queenstown though.

Driving places is going to take you longer than you think it will, look at drive times not distances. The road may well be empty but you may not be able to go much faster than 50k on some roads.

#17 3 years ago

OP, you need a travel odyssey thread on here when you go to NZ like Rotordave has when he comes to the US.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Rotorua: thermal area and Maori villages

Rotorua rocks - we stayed here - https://www.treetopshunting.co.nz/ & took the helecopter tour out to White island-
    http://www.volcanicair.co.nz/ - Damn impressive!

& I was sworn in as an honorary Maori chief for good measure.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Rotorua rocks - we stayed here - https://www.treetopshunting.co.nz/ & took the helecopter tour out to White island-
    http://www.volcanicair.co.nz/ - Damn impressive!
    & I was sworn in as an honorary Maori chief for good measure.

When Ben couldn't get into Queenstown, he stayed in Rotorua (or RotoVegas as we call it..) and helicoptered to White Island.

Not cheap, but it's not every day you land on an active volcano.

rd

#20 3 years ago

Used to live in Granity. (South Island west coast) Make sure you sip a Good Bastards! My son will be in Christchurch next month. He will be headed to Antarctica for a summer tour. Really loved that Randy's Pizza in Queenstown. If its a good day the roof will be open!

#21 3 years ago

If you go to Lake Taupo, take advantage of the double deal package where you get chucked out of a plane over Lake Taupo at 16000 ft which is something spectacular with the views and then get thrown down a the Grade 5 Kaituna river over a 10M waterfall.

Be wary of the Hobbiton tour though if you're thinking about it as it's expensive for what it is. I thought it was a let down.

Driving the Desert Road is a good one. Very strange road. I'll just leave it at that for you to find out. you can do that from Taupo on the way to the Tongariro crossing (Mt Doom)

If you get a chance to drive Arthur's Pass in the South Island, it's worth it.

Franz Josef Glacier is awesome in the South Island

Round boulders on the beach in Motueka South Island is a decent stop off to look at and stretch the legs on the drive (think I spelt that wrong)

Dunedin is a nice town with old buildings and a stately home with the steepest street in the world

Christchurch, lovely town.

Milford Sounds is breathtaking

Plenty of uncrowded waves if you surf. If Indicators at Raglan is on you can get a ride up to 1-2 Km long

Queenstown is a great spot with heaps to do

Cage diving with Great White Sharks in Stewart Island. Stewart Island has the highest amount and largest size Pointers per capita. Even more than Seal Point and Port Elizabeth in South Africa. (I'm doing it for my 40th birthday)

not sure if that helps at all?

get yourself a lonely planet and then you can plan the trip. I have been around NZ 3 times now surfing in a campervan and can whole heartedly recommend if you want to see NZ, then get one. You'lkl just have to get used to driving on the correct side of the road

#22 3 years ago

Oh and also for pins in the wild, get the pinfinder app. It's not too bad for hunting down pins.

having said that, I only have two pins and a couple of vids but you're more than welcome to stop in for a game if you wanted to. I'm sure the other NZ boys will offer too. they are a lovely welcoming bunch

#23 3 years ago

No trip to New Zealand would be complete w/o a stop at the Hunderwasser toilets...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundertwasser_Toilets

Yes, we stopped there. Breathtaking.

#24 3 years ago

Thanks for the updates.

Robert

5 months later
    #25 3 years ago

Hello Everyone!

And another one:

Our son will be in Motueka for the next half year and we my wife and me will visit him during the second half of April 2018.
    Thus we will probably be around the north part of the south Island most of these two weeks.

It would be great to get a chance to meet some of you local folks down there. My wife will clearly find a ton of nice places to visit and my son will show me the whole area - but I personally would really meet you from the local scene there!

And yes, from reading your posts above it looks like I will miss a lot of fun on the north island during March - too bad.
    Happy to help with some pinball parts from Germany - as long as they are Bally or Williams EM from about 1967 till 1977. As you can see from my collection, I am mainly into Bally EM games from 1969-1972 - and even have a few duplicates

Looking forward to hear from you!
    Axel

IMG-20161102-WA0000 (resized).jpg

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from EM-fan:

Hello Everyone!
    And another one:
    Our son will be in Motueka for the next half year and we my wife and me will visit him during the second half of April 2018.
    Thus we will probably be around the north part of the south Island most of these two weeks.
    It would be great to get a chance to meet some of you local folks down there. My wife will clearly find a ton of nice places to visit and my son will show me the whole area - but I personally would really meet you from the local scene there!
    And yes, from reading your posts above it looks like I will miss a lot of fun on the north island during March - too bad.
    Happy to help with some pinball parts from Germany - as long as they are Bally or Williams EM from about 1967 till 1977. As you can see from my collection, I am mainly into Bally EM games from 1969-1972 - and even have a few duplicates
    Looking forward to hear from you!
    Axel

Just saw this - when you get a bit closer to your trip, send me a PM and I’ll hook you up with the guys in Christchurch.

Mainly modern pins, but still a good time.

rd

#27 2 years ago

In a little less than 4 weeks, I'm on my way...New Zealand, Australia and Fiji.

I could have bought "many" pinball games for the cost of this trip!

Robert

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

In a little less than 4 weeks, I'm on my way...New Zealand, Australia and Fiji.
    I could have bought "many" pinball games for the cost of this trip!
    Robert

Well if you’re coming all this way, you may as well do it all while you’re here!

rd

#29 2 years ago

Somebody needs to start a New Zealand travel odyssey thread!

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

Somebody needs to start a New Zealand travel odyssey thread!

I did a mini one a couple years ago ... took a group of Pincaders down the north island.

Starts about here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiwi-pincade-2015-the-biggest-weekend-of-pinball-on-the-planet-/page/3

rd

#31 2 years ago

Maybe I'll bring some "Cliffys" to trade for food...

Robert

#32 2 years ago

rotordave: thanks for reply. ChristChurch will be on our way indeed and it would be great to meet you!
    Will reach out!
    Axel

3 months later
    #33 2 years ago

rotordave - thanks a lot for your effort to connect me to the scene in Christchurch! It is really amazing, what you have there!
    All the best and give me a shout if you ever make it over to Germany!
    Axel

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from EM-fan:

rotordave - thanks a lot for your effort to connect me to the scene in Christchurch! It is really amazing, what you have there!
    All the best and give me a shout if you ever make it over to Germany!
    Axel

No worries, always here to help.

rd

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Maybe I'll bring some "Cliffys" to trade for food...
    Robert

mrsanramon did you end up making the trip in Feb as planned?

rd

#36 2 years ago

Dave- Americas's Cup Here I come!!! I want my Cup back!
    We are starting to book this trip 18 months in advance. Do you have any recommendations on places to have extended stay, rental houses?
    Such a pleasure to have you and family over in Jan.
    Cant wait to see you down under.
    Eric

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Dave- Americas's Cup Here I come!!! I want my Cup back!

Good luck with that, champ!

“The America’s Cup ... is now .... New Zealand cup!” Lol

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Such a pleasure to have you and family over in Jan.
    Cant wait to see you down under

Thanks for having us around.

Have they already set the dates for it?

Pop me a PM and I’ll help you get all sorted out.

rd

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 29.00
    $ 69.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 107.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    2step’s shop
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 8.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    $ 24.50
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 29.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 235.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 109.99
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.00
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinwize.com
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 199.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside