Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 days ago by NC_Pin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C6C0670A-CDF7-4744-9FEB-1B60D4574094 (resized).jpeg

#1 51 days ago

Will be traveling to Charleston South Carolina and Charlotte North Carolina.

Looking for ideas on places to visit, eat and play pinball.
    Or tourists traps to avoid.
    Google only gets you so far.

#2 51 days ago

Super Abari's grand reopening is soon in Charlotte. Also check out Paranoia Pinball in Charlotte.

#3 51 days ago

Charleston is loaded with things to do and see.

Southend Brewery was a favorite when I lived there, pizza and 2 story brewery. Battery Park by the water is cool. Tons of shops and restaurants downtown, taking a carriage ride around is a fun way to see it. Weekend flea markets. James Island has a cool waterfront and nice beaches and shops. A visit to one of the plantation houses is a walk back in time, checking out the grounds and gardens. There was a cool bar downtown, Vlad the Impaler or something, that was like walking into a movie set from the original Dracula movie - dark velvet on the walls, very gothic.

I left there around 2000, and started seriously collecting shortly thereafter so not really sure about arcades etc but there must be a barcade somewhere in a resort town like that.

#4 50 days ago

Will definitely check out Southend brewery and pinball locations in Charlotte.

#5 50 days ago

I did a ghost tour in downtown Charleston last year. It was a lot of fun! This bar in an old church was worth it too.

https://churchandunioncharleston.com/

#6 50 days ago

Was it the ghost tour in the dungeon?
    That looked cool

#7 50 days ago
    Quoted from Madmax541:

Was it the ghost tour in the dungeon?
    That looked cool

I think it was supposed to be but it was peak covid at the time. It was still really good without it. We got a lot of the history of the city by walking around the streets. There was also a bar with a few games we went to but I’ll have to dig around to figure out what it was called.

#8 50 days ago

Right outside of Charlotte in Concord there is the best arcade around. “The Basement” a lot of super clean and well maintained pins and arcades.

#9 50 days ago

Ironically going to pick up a pinball here in a few weeks. Definetly watching this thread.

#10 50 days ago
    Quoted from KongDonkey:

Right outside of Charlotte in Concord there is the best arcade around. “The Basement” a lot of super clean and well maintained pins and arcades.

I second this recommendation. Typically has a great collection.

#11 50 days ago

Lots of good eats in Charlotte.
    My fav is City Barbecue
    Brisket sandwich and corn pudding.

C6C0670A-CDF7-4744-9FEB-1B60D4574094 (resized).jpeg
    #12 50 days ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

Lots of good eats in Charlotte.
    My fav is City Barbecue
    Brisket sandwich and corn pudding.[quoted image]

City barbecue is a big chain. There are lots of great local bbq places if you do a little research in the areas you’ll be visiting.

#13 50 days ago

Basement Arcade in Concord, NC. Owner is long time collector and games are always in tip-top shape.

#14 50 days ago

I read that Super Abari is now open! Gotta check out their new spot for myself.

#15 49 days ago

Shouldn’t let this get out, but Madra Rua in North Charleston is the best Irish pub this side of the pond.
    Park at Battery Park in Charleston, there’s always parking there and it’s a beautiful short walk to the market district.
    There are some great breweries in the CHS area, Holy City and Coast being my two favorites. Can’t help ya on an arcade there though, I’ve never seen one in the 100+ times I’ve been to Charleston.

#16 49 days ago
    Quoted from sidetrackedbrew:

Shouldn’t let this get out, but Madra Rua in North Charleston is the best Irish pub this side of the pond.
    Park at Battery Park in Charleston, there’s always parking there and it’s a beautiful short walk to the market district.
    There are some great breweries in the CHS area, Holy City and Coast being my two favorites. Can’t help ya on an arcade there though, I’ve never seen one in the 100+ times I’ve been to Charleston.

Excellent, thanks for sharing info.
    Really like to get local perspective , places off beaten path

#17 49 days ago

My vote is the National White Water Rafting Center in Charlotte. You can walk the whole course. They have dozens of ziplines, rock climbing walls, kayak rentals, bike trains... and you can go whitewater rafting on a pretty insane manmade course.

For pinball... The Basement arcade in Concord is great... super clean. I do believe Abari is open...so that is another great option.

#18 48 days ago

Any thoughts on outer banks or kitty hawk?

Smoky mountains?

#19 48 days ago

Where are you coming from? Smoky Mountains to Kitty Hawk is about 8 hours, and another 7 hours to Charleston, so you are casting a really wide net.

If you are heading west, Asheville has the pinball museum and a couple of great pinball/retro arcade bars in addition to some great breweries. There's an arcade in Gatlinburg too.

#20 48 days ago

Starting out in Charleston SC, Charlotte NC,
    Followed by Smokey Mountains

kitty hawk & outer banks are up in air

#21 48 days ago

Super Abari is open 33 pins on the floor and as others have said The Basement Arcade in Concord is another fantastic location.

#22 48 days ago
    Quoted from Madmax541:

Starting out in Charleston SC, Charlotte NC,
    Followed by Smokey Mountains
    kitty hawk & outer banks are up in air

If you go to the outer banks, then Flippers in Grandy is the place to go. In Charlotte (Concord) The Basement is great. In Charleston, I just eat, then eat some more.

#23 48 days ago

Haven't been to Charleston in a couple years, hoping to get back this year, but here are a couple places there that I like.

https://westbrookbrewing.com/
    Excellent beer.

https://palmettobrewery.com/
    Good beer and a good bar scene that usually has some live music.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBreakJamesIsland
    Sports bar that has a solid lineup of pins.

https://melvinsbbq.com/
    Excellent bbq.

#24 48 days ago

Reds Ice House in mount pleasant is a great outdoor spot to throw back some brews. Page’s Okra Grill is great for Brunch. I second finding a ghost tour or pub crawl in the evenings in Charleston. Stay away from any sort of old jail tour, unless you want to lose 10 pounds in an hour from sweating your ass off. Just like the old days, there is no AC in the jail!

#25 45 days ago

If you only have time for either Basement Arcade or Super Abari which would you chose?

#26 45 days ago

Hey Dude what’s best BBQ in Fayetteville?
    Might be there one night

#27 44 days ago
    Quoted from Madmax541:

Hey Dude what’s best BBQ in Fayetteville?
    Might be there one night

My opinion might not match with locals... I am not particularly fond of Carolina style BBQ. Depending on what time you are in town, the Airborne and Special Operations museum is worth checking out. It is free admission with donations appreciated.
    https://www.asomf.org/

For arcades, Stop_Button has a handful of pins (many that used to be mine ). The owner and I buy/sell/trade pretty regularly.

#28 44 days ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

My opinion might not match with locals... I am not particularly fond of Carolina style BBQ. Depending on what time you are in town, the Airborne and Special Operations museum is worth checking out. It is free admission with donations appreciated.
    https://www.asomf.org/
    For arcades, Stop_Button has a handful of pins (many that used to be mine ). The owner and I buy/sell/trade pretty regularly.

This is a good point. Carolina BBQ is different - it definitely isn't the same as Memphis or Texas. The issue is the sauce - around us it is mostly vinegar based. It is an acquired taste. The good news is that most places have memphis style red sauce just in case you are down with the local flavor.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!