• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jp1985
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DFA583F0-A7E5-40C6-BBC0-9C8F6B095A4F (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I am planning on transporting a TAFG tomorrow and I need to buy or rent a local dolly. It is important that I do not damage this pin. Some have recommended a horizontal dolly as some of my door frames are 28.5-29” wide. I can take off some doors or rotate the head of the pin a bit. I would like to avoid detaching the head unless there are clear diagrams to know how to rewire it.

Any recommendations on a local place to buy or rent a dolly? Home Depot or similar.

Links or specific models are ideal so I know I get the correct one.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

#2 5 years ago

Find a harbor freight and get one of the blue hand trucks with the big wheels. Make sure to search for a 15% off coupon. Also pick up 3 packing blankets.

Find a roll of 80 gauge stretch wrap--18"x1500", if possible. Home Depot should carry it, but you can get it cheaper per roll from uline.com if you can wait. Wrap the game and back box in about 3 layers to help protect it from scratches.

At home depot, get a small packing box (put the foot of the game on this), and use it to protect the bottom of the cab when moving with the hand truck. The cardboard is also helpful for sliding the game around on floors.

Get 3 large packing boxes, and fold them in half. Use one in the hand truck. When packing the game in your vehicle, use them to protected the sides of the cabinet after covering the cab and backbox in the packing blankets.

Also, get 3-4 medium boxes, put them on the floor of your vehicle, and layer them so they slide over each other when you push the cabinet in. Much easier than brute forcing it, and also helps protect both the game and your vehicle's interior.

Don't be afraid of detaching the backbox if you need to. Just take lots of clear photos of each connector, and double check them when plugging them back in later.

Obviously, it's easiest to be able to just fold the game up and go, but if you don't have space, it's easier to remove the backbox entirely instead of trying to maneuver the cabinet and the backbox. There would also be a lower risk of damaging the cabinet/backbox when trying to juggle/maneuver both at the same time.

#3 5 years ago

I would recommend investing in a good pinball jack /coffin jack (your gonna need it again & again if you stay in this hobby) or at least try & borrow one

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

I would recommend investing in a good pinball jack /coffin jack (your gonna need it again & again if you stay in this hobby) or at least try & borrow one

Or lift cart.

#5 5 years ago

I'm in a similar problem. My exterior doors are all 27" wide and a pain in the butt. I'm having French doors installed in the next few weeks as I'm tired of taking doors off and holding my breath every time I move a game in or out (which happens a lot according to wifey)

#6 5 years ago

Also don't forget to take out the balls!

#7 5 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your help. I ended up taking off doors, door frames and ended up having to unbolt the head and turn it slightly to make it through since my house was built in the 1800s. We managed to transport it without damaging anything and it powers on fine.

Thanks again!

DFA583F0-A7E5-40C6-BBC0-9C8F6B095A4F (resized).jpegDFA583F0-A7E5-40C6-BBC0-9C8F6B095A4F (resized).jpeg

#8 5 years ago

TAFG is the holy grail of collector pins for me. What number is yours? I for one would leave it as close to original as possible, great find.

#9 5 years ago

It’s number 996 which I believe would be the 5th to last made. Certificate has all but two signatures which seems to be common. All serial numbers match and everything I’ve been told to look for on these is perfect.

I will not be buying any pins unless it’s a killer deal for a long long time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

30,000 (OBO)
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 159.00
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 1,159.00
Cabinet Parts
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transporting-taf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.