(Topic ID: 3310)

Transporting pins with the legs on. And/or the head up.

By erak

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Santeh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you transport with the legs on?”

• All the time. 1 vote
      2%
    • Never 44 votes
      96%
    • only short distances or in a van 1 vote
      2%
    • The legs come off? 0 votes

(46 votes)

#1 9 years ago

Is it just me or am I the only one who thinks that this is a BAD idea.

The last few weeks the weather around here has been getting nicer and I have seen some pins being transported in the back of pickups. I live near the niagara falls border and these have all been seen on the highway on exiting off the highway locally. All with the legs on and heads up. So far a Bride of pinbot, SWE1, and grand prix. Dont these people know to fold or take off the head. It only takes one sharp turn, or hard stop, like a highway on or off ramp for the pin to flip over the side. or strip or bend a leg bolt or damage or break the head hinges/bolts if it shifts or slides.

Just thought I would ask opinions.

#2 9 years ago

NEVER EVER !!! ... even the idiots who are clueless and brought me machines took off the legs and the playfield and backglass out after I told them if it arrives damaged the deal is off. Only one didn't lower the head.

#3 9 years ago

Is it just me or am I the only one who thinks that this is a BAD idea.

It's a horrible idea. Pins are really heavy, and if you have have them on their legs with the head up, they have a very high center of gravity. Just not a smart thing to do at all.

#4 9 years ago

wouldn't fit in the back of my car , but this is a very, very, very, bad idea....

#5 9 years ago

Seen way too many bad mishaps with the legs on. I will leave the head on (but covered) if the legs are off. Drop it if it's hinged.

We used to use a large flat bed truck that worked fine for transporting them with the legs. But, this had side rails that the Pins could be tied to to keep them from tipping.

Never in a pickup. Even if I'm only going 1 mile. It only takes a few minutes to take them off and on after all...

G

#6 9 years ago

If you do it your are lazy, stupid and deserve whatever comes. Unfortunately the pin pays the ultimate price.

#7 9 years ago

100% on never, I like that....

#8 9 years ago

Oh wait... You mean your NOT supposed to put "playfield" side down???
    I thought that was what the steel rails were for!

Schadenfreude!

#9 9 years ago

Only once did I do this, luckily for me there was no horror story. I now always take legs off, backbox down with padding everywhere and straps too.

These puppies don't travel well, and a lot of these games are old and fragile. The slightest knock can mean hours of troubleshooting.

#10 9 years ago

NEVER EVER a good idea wayyyyyy to much to lose when she dumps!

#11 9 years ago

you might as well throw your money out the window while you goin down the road lol.

#12 9 years ago

You should always leave the legs on, and the heads up, as long as you have great insurance, with the replacement value clause in place(don't forget the zreo deductible). Do this with your crappy broken machines, and find the bumpiest road you can find.

#13 9 years ago

A local retailer transports his machines legs on, head down. Saw a very nice AFM last summer legs and head up strapped to the inside of a pickup. I wanted to follow, but I was on the clock!

#14 9 years ago

NAVL ships with the back box down and legs on. They strap it to the side of the truck so there is no tipping or bumping. All the machines they have shipped to me have been blanketed and strapped. I have had 3 machines shipped to me this way and I have had no problems. Knock on wood, because i'm having one shipped this way to me this way this week. I use NAVL because I hear they are the only shipper that pays claims.

I prefer to get a machine with the legs off as they are much easier to handle with a two wheeler and navigate stairs. I also prefer to pick up the game myself when possible and would never never have one standing in a pickup even with the top down.

I have had 3 machines shipped to me with the legs off sitting on a pallet. These were not shipped NAVL. 2 of them were damaged from being bumped during shipment. The cause is dolly trucks and pallets that are moved and bumped. I filed a claim but got the run around and was never paid...yet.

I found that NAVL uses two people to move a machines by hand with the legs on. They use this same method to move other things around in the truck. They move quite a bit of furniture and antiques and they take very good care of thier items....after all they do pay claims...and they don't want to. They also make detailed notes of the condition of the machine and where scratches are located if any when the machine is picked up. They are alway blanketed and strapped.

So as much as I don't like them being shipped with the legs on...sometimes you got to do what you got to do to get your pinball machine.

#15 9 years ago

So as much as I don't like them being shipped with the legs on...sometimes you got to do what you got to do to get your pinball machine.

This is true in my case as well. I got a project pin off CL (Bally Black Jack), and the seller did not have the key, nor did he have any tools to drill the locks. I only paid about $100 for it, so figured what the heck - tied it down as good as I could and drove carefully.

#16 9 years ago

This is true in my case as well. I got a project pin off CL (Bally Black Jack), and the seller did not have the key, nor did he have any tools to drill the locks. I only paid about $100 for it, so figured what the heck - tied it down as good as I could and drove carefully.

I've never owned a pin from the 70's, so perhaps they are different, but why would you need to open the lock in order to remove the legs or fold down the backbox?

#17 9 years ago

I've never owned a pin from the 70's, so perhaps they are different, but why would you need to open the lock in order to remove the legs or fold down the backbox?

pre 70's and many early 80's pins heads do not fold. They unbolt and unplug. But the legs come off the same, unless the threads were stripped and someone bolted them on the inside of the cabinet.

#18 9 years ago

Uh oh... I just shipped a pin via NAVL-STI and was told by the seller that NAVL took the legs off, put the head down, and then wrapped everything and put the game on a pallet. Yet after hearing wesperron's story on how 2 of 3 pins were damaged this way I am a bit concerned. Thankfully I have the game fully insured, yet i really do not want the hassle of claims and then, maybe, looking for a new game.

Great. The game is due in tomorrow and I know I am going to fret about it all night.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 103.00
    $ 3.49
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Plastics
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 13.00
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 174.99
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 45.00
    $ 199.99
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 3.50
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 10.00
    $ 41.00
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside