(Topic ID: 158944)

Transporting a Pin in a Utility Trailer

By Bigbossfan

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

trailer_(resized).png
    #1 7 years ago

I recently traded in my 06 Santa Fe which easily held a pin for a 16 Santa Fe Sport, which does not fit it a pin, much to my chagrin. So now, for future transportation of pins, I have to either rent a trailer, or a vehicle that will fit a pin. Naturally, renting a trailer will be much cheaper, however, I'm concerned that with the lack of suspension/cushioning you would get from a vehicle, that the bouncing around you would get in a trailer will (or might) lead to issues with connectors coming loose, or other problems.

Of course, I would be strapping the pin down to ensure it wouldn't bounce around terribly, but I'm sure it would still be subject to a lot more bumping than in a vehicle.

So my question is this, anyone regularly transport pins via a utility trailer that can comment on if it creates any issues. Any advice is much appreciated! (Attached is the trailer I'm looking at renting).

trailer_(resized).pngtrailer_(resized).png

#2 7 years ago

At Uhaul, look at AV series trailers. They are covered and lighter. U can haul a pin on its legs, or stand it upright. Its a 5x8 trailer...very economical.

#3 7 years ago

Yep, that's my other alternative. Still wouldn't want to transport on it's legs though. But suspect transporting a pin in that type of trailer would still subject it to more bouncing around than what would be typical in the back of a vehicle.

#4 7 years ago

In my enclosed trailer I have E Tracks down the sides and I use heavy duty straps to secure the games to the sides. The sit where put, and always arrive safe.

#5 7 years ago

I have a 6X12 enclosed trailer with E-track I ordered installed when I ordered the trailer and I have a ramp door. I have them wrapped and strap them down securely ...I take my pins to shows in it all the time, and no issues. If you rent that particular trailer, you also have to worry about weather issues that you don't have to worry about with an enclosed trailer... I would not suggest transporting pins with legs on ever (but that is just me) I also generally do a check of connectors and such when I arrive and unload/set up the pins at the show to insure that anything that might have worked its way loose gets re seated to not cause any issues. These are electronic devices and things do happen, but with a certain amount of caution and "common sense" (not sure that is the correct phrase but if you wrap it strap it and check things out) when you set it back up then you should be good to go!

Phoebe

#6 7 years ago

If you have room to store it, a 6x12 enclosed trailer with a ramp door is awesome for transporting all kinds of stuff.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks for the comments so far. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Don't really want to invest in buying a trailer, so my only options are to rent a utility trailer as pictured above or a regular covered U-Haul trailer. Obviously these wouldn't have any extra cushioning or E Tracks.

So am I asking for trouble by transporting pins in just a regular trailer?

#8 7 years ago

U-haul trailers are the only way I've ever transported my pins since none of my cars have ever been pin-friendly. But they've all had hitches installed. I use their enclosed trailers for one-way and longer distances but 95% of the time I use their standard 5x8 AV open trailer.

I have a stack of packing blankets and ratchet straps to safely secure the game at the front end of the trailer. If I don't mummify the game in packing blankets and shrink wrap before I load it on the trailer, I'll put a packing blanket under the machine to help slide it onto the trailer and so the underside doesn't get all scuffed up. I'll the use plenty of blankets between the game and the trailer sides and underneath any of the strapping if necessary.

Quoted from Bigbossfan:

But suspect transporting a pin in that type of trailer would still subject it to more bouncing around than what would be typical in the back of a vehicle.

Just make sure the game is properly secured toward the front of the trailer so it won't budge and you should have no problem. They don't bounce around as much as you might think, if at all. Those trailers are actually very stable with a 250+ pound machine strapped in them.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

U-haul trailers are the only way I've ever transported my pins since none of my cars have ever been pin-friendly. But they've all had hitches installed. I use their enclosed trailers for one-way and longer distances but 95% of the time I use their standard 5x8 AV open trailer.
    I have a stack of packing blankets and ratchet straps to safely secure the game at the front end of the trailer. If I don't mummify the game in packing blankets and shrink wrap before I load it on the trailer, I'll put a packing blanket under the machine to help slide it onto the trailer and so the underside doesn't get all scuffed up. I'll the use plenty of blankets between the game and the trailer sides and underneath any of the strapping if necessary.

Just make sure the game is properly secured toward the front of the trailer so it won't budge and you should have no problem. They don't bounce around as much as you might think, if at all. Those trailers are actually very stable with a 250+ pound machine strapped in them.

Awesome. Thanks so much for the input!

#10 7 years ago

Transport in an open trailer is fine as long as you wrap up the body of the game. to keep the weather off.
    I would not recommend it for a long distance during winter. and I highly suggest putting the backglass inside the vehicle.

#11 7 years ago

We used to transport games all the time in an enclosed utility trailer.

Legs on or off, nothing ever happened to the games. They are tough.

#12 7 years ago

Thanks again folks. I feel much better now renting a closed trailer when required. Only reason I was going with the open trailer was I was looking at transport short notice and that's all they had available. Definetly my preference is enclosed trailer. Now hearing a few of you say no issues with bouncing, much more confident in utilizing a trailer now.

Thanks again!

#13 7 years ago

Most rental yards have trailers cheaper than Uhaul does (at least in the States).

#14 7 years ago

How many williams DMDs would fit in a 6x12 enclosed trailer?

#15 7 years ago

I have a couple single mattresses the kids use for sleep overs etc, and I lay one down in a small enclosed uhaul. Then strap and put packing blankets around the sides. They sleep like a baby!

#16 7 years ago

As long as it's wrapped correctly, you will be fine. Use moving blankets, tarps and shrink wrap. You will need able to drive through rainstorm fine. Also if strapped against side, legs off, you should have no issues. Just inspect connectors upon arrival and you should be fine. Go for it.

#17 7 years ago

U-Haul open trailer or enclosed are about the same price ,so why take a chance with the weather?

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from ShaunoftheDead:

How many williams DMDs would fit in a 6x12 enclosed trailer?

I can fit 8 in my 6X12...I have a side door on mine, so fitting 8 is a bit tight with 1 overlapping the side door a bit.

Phoebe

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

I can fit 8 in my 6X12...I have a side door on mine, so fitting 8 is a bit tight with 1 overlapping the side door a bit.
    Phoebe

I assume then you have a tandem axel trailer Phoebe?

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from paragon66x:

I assume then you have a tandem axel trailer Phoebe?

Nope it is a single (Dexter) axle. Looked at the double axles, but did some research and decided that for the extra expense and what I wanted it for, the single Dexter axle was just as good ride wise (IMO). I haven't had any issues with it and I've had it since 2009.

Phoebe

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transporting-a-pin-in-a-utility-trailer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.