(Topic ID: 307284)

Transporting a pin in a pick-up truck in cold weather

By Angel

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I plan to pick up a pinball machine (MMR) later this week and will be transporting it in my pick-up truck. I will wrap, strap and fully cover it with a weather proof tarp and blankets. My concern is it will be around minus 4 degrees celcius or 24 degrees farenheit, will the machine be affected, electronics wise/do damage to the circuit boards, chips and other components? It will be a 3 hour trip.

#2 2 years ago

My thought is that the temperature is not as much of a factor as moisture. Keeping the electronics dry will be the main objective. I think having the electronics get cold is not a big deal. The wood and paint could be affected by cold temperatures, but for a 3 hour trip, I would not be concerned. Make sure to pick a day when there is no rain, so moisture is not an issue. That would be my advice.

#3 2 years ago

That won’t be an issue. You should see where/how some operators store/transport their games.

Now that being said - do not plug in the machine for24 hours. Unwrap it shortly after getting it inside and let it acclimatize to ensure any moisture escapes. You could set it up and take the playfield and back glass out if you have severe condensation. But do not turn it on. Condensation on your electronics is not your friend. Other that that you should be good to go.

#4 2 years ago

I rolled three 90's pins in the back of a pickup truck unwrapped but covered with plastic in -36F blizzard, was dead stopped on I65 for 6 hours, took 22 hours to get home. Pins were FINE.

Do what he said and you have no worries:

Quoted from PBFan:

do not plug in the machine for24 hours. Unwrap it shortly after getting it inside and let it acclimatize to ensure any moisture escapes. You could set it up and take the playfield and back glass out if you have severe condensation. But do not turn it on. Condensation on your electronics is not your friend. Other that that you should be good to go.

#5 2 years ago

i would take the back glass out and put it in the cab with you. all that rattling in freezing weather could shatter it

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

i would take the back glass out and put it in the cab with you. all that rattling in freezing weather could shatter it

Thats a great idea, never thought about the backglass.

#7 2 years ago

I beg to differ - the safest spot for a backglass is ALWAYS inside of the game. if you are worried about it rattling around stuff some kleenex or paper towels around the trim to keep it from rattling.

In over 20 years moving hundreds of pinball machines around, Ive never broken or damaged a backglass that was installed where it belongs. I have, however, broken two backglasses that weren't inside a game. So there's some anecdotal math for you.

#8 2 years ago

Done it a few times up here. Let it warm up in the garage overnight before you set it up, you will be fine.

As long as you don't transport it with a few gallons of water inside the game, that is.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

No, wrong, never... respectfully disagree.

As long as the back box locks the glass in place correctly and the backglass has edge protectors, that's the absolute best place for it.

#10 2 years ago

NEVER move a machine with backglass removed - you take more chance of damage with it in the truck than in the machine.

As far as temp change it will not hurt a thing but as stated before once unloaded unwrap it ASAP and let it sit at least a few hours before plugging it in.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from pb456:

No, wrong, never... respectfully disagree.
    As long as the back box locks the glass in place correctly and the backglass has edge protectors, that's the absolute best place for it.

Just going by experience, admittedly just one experience. Someone bought my Scared stiff a few years ago and transported it home in a pickup in cold weather. When they got home the trans glass was cracked. Usually they rattle around even when locked. I supposed if you pad it well to keep it from rattling it would be ok.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Just going by experience, admittedly just one experience. Someone bought my Scared stiff a few years ago and transported it home in a pickup in cold weather. When they got home the trans glass was cracked. Usually they rattle around even when locked. I supposed if you pad it well to keep it from rattling it would be ok.

I'll bet that the BG was not locked in place, or had existing hairline fracture, or didn't have edge protectors.

#13 2 years ago

Like I said just stuff a little foam or something in the crevices around the backglass and it won't rattle around. I routinely do that anyway on certain EM games (williams multiplayers come to mind) where the backglass tends to rattle around just from standard nudging during play.

#14 2 years ago

4 pieces of blue painters tape (one on each side of the glass) solves everything. Glass will not rattle around, can't move, etc. Typically I use 2" wide tape and with glass in place I just put about 8" of tape on each side with half the tape on the backglass and half on the inner frame of the head. I always have backglass locked in place first & always do this before folding head down.

Be sure to buy top quality tape and buy fresh every year or so. Keep your tape out of the sun and someplace cool like in a basement when you are not using it!

With over 600 pins moved this way I have never had even one small issue!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transporting-a-pin-in-a-pick-up-truck-in-cold-weather?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.