(Topic ID: 139844)

Transparent tv...replacing playfield glass?

By flashinstinct

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by cougtv
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

samsung-transparent-oled01.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I don't know about you folks but it would be awesome if this technology could be applied to playfield glass somehow. No need to put scores on targets. Actual flames coming out of dragons mouth....explosion....instructions, score displays etc... This would add another dimension.

samsung-transparent-oled01.jpgsamsung-transparent-oled01.jpg
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/10/samsung-mirror-transparent-display/

#2 8 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

I don't knwo about you folks this would be awesome if this technology could be applied to playfield glass somehow. No need to put scores on targets. Actual flames coming out of dragons mouth....explosion....instructions, score displays etc... This would add another dimension.
    samsung-transparent-oled01.jpg
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/10/samsung-mirror-transparent-display/
    » YouTube video

Has been tested by Heighway I believe, 46 inch display as playfield cover. I believe Andrew said that the technology is not for now. But maybe in the future the are going to use it.

#3 8 years ago

Love this idea! I have seen arcade games that utilize a see through LCD screen.... this has got to be possible....

#4 8 years ago

Here is a quote from an article concerning Heighway Pinball:

'Deluxe models, due later this year, will have a 46" transparent screen that resides over the playfield surface and below the top glass. With images and video appearing and disappearing during play, the transparent screen will reportedly provide truly immersive experience. But core gameplay remains true to tradition with plenty of ramps and drop targets. The digital technology, Heighway explained, is intended to enhance traditional play, not replace. - See more at: http://vendingtimes.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=EB79A487112B48A296B38C81345C8C7F&nm=Vending+Features&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=D7587242D4C24F48A59309F15CD7DBB0#sthash.MQF20Wjv.dpuf

#5 8 years ago

smart glass, been around a while, my friend barry been doing neat things with it . he did bathroom partitions in a restaurant that shaded out when you close the stall door.
    this would have been awesome on the Hobbit, smaug multiball , flying dragon breathing fire all across the playfeild .

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from ls1chris:

smart glass, been around a while, my friend barry been doing neat things with it . he did bathroom partitions in a restaurant that shaded out when you close the stall door.
    this would have been awesome on the Hobbit, smaug multiball , flying dragon breathing fire all across the playfeild .

/yeah I remember seeing all this stuff at CES 2012 and automatically thought about pinball. The privacy glass you are talking about is even older. An lectrical current flows throught the glass to make it opaque. It's really cool stuff.

#7 8 years ago

I wonder how expensive the tech is. It seems like it would depend on the height of the person and viewing angle could impact alignment, right? Might it also be detrimental to have a lot of GI light shining up through the glass when there's an image being displayed?

I personally would rather see Augmented Reality integrated into a physical table that involved a headset.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

I wonder how expensive the tech is. It seems like it would depend on the height of the person and viewing angle could impact alignment, right? Might is also be detrimental to have a lot of GI light shining up through the glass when there's an image being displayed?
    I personally would rather see Augmented Reality integrated into a physical table that involved a headset.

in a HUO environment that could work but would be messy on route.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from ls1chris:

in a HUO environment that could work but would be messy on route.

A home environment is all I care about!

Honestly, though, route pinball isn't big in my area, so it's not like if anything with AR or even this transparent TV was introduced into pinball that I'd ever see it in person locally on route.

Besides, with the right setup, a headset can work on route. I remember a Doom arcade game with a headset at my local arcade in the 90s. You would just have to set it up in a way where it's not just a headset on a cord that can be tossed around. It would have to be mounted to some kind of frame in front of or surrounding the pin. Then there could be a separate screen that shows bystanders what the player is seeing.

#10 8 years ago

I believe the screen is a little foggy and dark and you'd need crystal clear for a playfield glass.

#11 8 years ago

This is really cool on slot machines. I think I would hate it on pinball machines. We pay $300/sheet for invisible playfield glass, do we want to pay even more than that to put a bunch of semi transparent crap blocking the view of the ball?

#12 8 years ago

Doesn't interest me. You're going to run into some issues with varying heights of the player and images lining up.

#13 8 years ago

Ball strikes could be very expensive...........Don't F'Up while rebuilding a flipper............

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transparent-tvreplacing-playfield-glass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.