Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 39 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMDN_TARGETS (resized).JPG
    IMDN_TARGETS2 (resized).JPG
    RedSternDrop (resized).jpg
    52168895946_4e15653297[1] (resized).jpg
    image_64848_1[1][1] (resized).jpg
    5341FCFA-3FD5-4234-B319-141655D0ED57 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6774 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6780 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6772 (resized).JPG
    kIMG_4912 (resized).JPG
    kIMG_4914 (resized).JPG
    kIMG_4911 (resized).JPG
    kIMG_4932 (resized).JPG
    kIMG_4934 (resized).JPG
    03-9848 (resized).jpg
    9 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

I used a sharpie first and it still didn’t block the light, so I went with electrical tape.

Fingernail polish might work. Has to be hot pink though.

2 weeks later
    #31 5 years ago

I was inspired by this thread to order up a set of these to install on my IMDN.

The black drop target from the factory are hard to notice on IMDN due to the sharp angle that they are at vs. the players view. You basically don't see the target faces at all unless you view the game from the left side. So I wanted to spruce things up a bit by using these transparent targets and some additional LED lighting to make the targets pop a bit.

These targets work well, no strange bricking or other noticeable differences in play behaviour vs. the stock black ones. If anything I'd say these are more durable feeling in the hand as well. They are a "milky white" transparent, not perfectly clear, which is fine for my scenario.

Quoted from Fytr:

Fingernail polish might work. Has to be hot pink though.

kIMG_4911 (resized).JPGkIMG_4911 (resized).JPG

kIMG_4912 (resized).JPGkIMG_4912 (resized).JPG

...and you thought I was kidding!

kIMG_4914 (resized).JPGkIMG_4914 (resized).JPG

kIMG_4932 (resized).JPGkIMG_4932 (resized).JPG

kIMG_4934 (resized).JPGkIMG_4934 (resized).JPG

I used a 3 segment 5v LED strip directly behind the targets to light them up, connected to the nearby GI bulb. They go on and off with the GI as well which is nice for Fear of the Dark mode and others. They are bit bright at the moment so may experiment with other LED colours and placement in the future to refine the look a bit.

Overall these are fantastic and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them!

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on whether they are easier to knock down... I'm not familiar enough with IMDN to know whether you can sweep the drops (Knock all 3 down at once) or not but I pretty sure something is different with these drops or how I installed at the least that is making them easier to sweep.

IMDN drops are very sweepable in general. I haven't played that many games yet since switching them out but they are working as expected. In my opinion, drop targets need to do two things:

1. When the ball touches/hits them they drop down (don't brick).
    2. When the ball hasn't touched them, they don't.

If you are finding them more sweepable it may just be that they are more visible now than they were in black so you're noticing them / aiming more?

So long as none of the targets are falling on their own when a mech fires (flippers, pop bumpers) or you bang the side the of the cabinet you're golden - those sweeps are due to your amazing skillz!

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I am; but I am not the manufacturer, only the exclusive distributor for North America.
    #A-3944 is not currently available from Pinball.Center in Clear.
    I have a email to them to see if they can do them... We'll see.

Replacements for Classic Stern targets (in white and clear) would be excellent.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from toasterman04:

are you installing the light strips under the play field or just behind the targets on the top side?

1st cut I just added a 3 LED strip behind the targets on to of the playfield. They are secured with zip-ties around the two plastic posts on either side.
    It's not ideal as I find them a bit too bright and the "finish" of the LED strip mounting isn't great. When the targets are down you can see the LED strip behind them which might bother some people. I'm thinking of trying maybe a single spotlight pointing out from under the plastic a bit further back, and playing with different colors.

#51 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You can scan the set, then make a translucent set in PhotoShop, for extra pop

Yeah I think I'm going to try that for my IMDN ones.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Scan, import into PS (or whatever program you like), use Quick Selection Tool to encircle areas, hit Delete key to remove color, print on clear adhesive film, cover with Mylar to protect ink.
    You can also fill areas with translucent colors for stain glass look, if you don't want it black&white

Yeah I'm going to scan mine and then try printing them on clear labels in colour. Should look pretty good and still let some light through.

5 years later
    #89 12 days ago
    Quoted from JorgesArcade:

Can I ask how to get this lighting component? Who sells? Thanks in advance. Figuring out the world of modding lighted toys/ add ons rather than buying from places
    Thanks all

My first crack at this I just had the strip braced directly behind the targets on top of the PF, but I have since moved them to the underside of the PF. Going from memory, but I think I ended up making a small led strip "bar" out of some tin I had laying around, mounted a Comet 3 led strip to it via the glue on the back, and then bent the tin in a few spots and drilled out some holes so that existing holes in the bottom of the PF for the drop assembly could be run through them to hold it in place. The comet is just connected to a nearby PF GI LED.

Truthfully it's a bit mickey mouse but hasn't moved or failed me in several years now. I can try to take a pic if you're interested.

This reminds me that I still haven't added the semi-translucent decals to the targets. I have them designed but need to find an appropriate clear decal material that I can print on with a laser printer. Any suggestions?

1 week later
    #92 6 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Get the Avery clear laser printer decal sheets.
    These only work on laser, you will have a mess in an inkjet

I couldn't find the Avery Decals locally so I went with these: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/avery-rectangle-clear-labels-with-easy-peel-1-x-2-permanent-adhesive-for-laserinkjet-printers-white/6000200935776

Here is how they turned out:

IMDN_TARGETS (resized).JPGIMDN_TARGETS (resized).JPG
    IMDN_TARGETS2 (resized).JPGIMDN_TARGETS2 (resized).JPG

Colors could be a tag more saturated, might try a reprint at some point. But these are fine.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/translucent-drop-targets-from-pinball-mods-vid-s-review?tu=Fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.