Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 39 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMDN_TARGETS (resized).JPG
    IMDN_TARGETS2 (resized).JPG
    RedSternDrop (resized).jpg
    52168895946_4e15653297[1] (resized).jpg
    image_64848_1[1][1] (resized).jpg
    5341FCFA-3FD5-4234-B319-141655D0ED57 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6774 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6780 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6772 (resized).JPG
    kIMG_4912 (resized).JPG
    kIMG_4914 (resized).JPG
    kIMG_4911 (resized).JPG
    kIMG_4932 (resized).JPG
    kIMG_4934 (resized).JPG
    03-9848 (resized).jpg
    9 (resized).jpg
    There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You can scan the set, then make a translucent set in PhotoShop, for extra pop

Yeah I think I'm going to try that for my IMDN ones.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You can scan the set, then make a translucent set in PhotoShop, for extra pop

Should we be anticipating 'Vid's Guide To Translucent Drop Target decals'?!

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

I used a 3 segment 5v LED strip directly behind the targets to light them up, connected to the nearby GI bulb. They go on and off with the GI as well which is nice for Fear of the Dark mode and others. They are bit bright at the moment so may experiment with other LED colours and placement in the future to refine the look a bit.
    Overall these are fantastic and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them!

Looks awesome! Check out Comet dimmers if you want to dial that light strip down.

https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/mtxbriteadj.htm

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Should we be anticipating 'Vid's Guide To Translucent Drop Target decals'?!

Scan, import into PS (or whatever program you like), use Quick Selection Tool to encircle areas, hit Delete key to remove color, print on clear adhesive film, cover with Mylar to protect ink.

You can also fill areas with translucent colors for stain glass look, if you don't want it black&white

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Scan, import into PS (or whatever program you like), use Quick Selection Tool to encircle areas, hit Delete key to remove color, print on clear adhesive film, cover with Mylar to protect ink.
    You can also fill areas with translucent colors for stain glass look, if you don't want it black&white

Yeah I'm going to scan mine and then try printing them on clear labels in colour. Should look pretty good and still let some light through.

#56 5 years ago

I guess that's a pretty quick guide - Thank you, Vid!

1 month later
    #57 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

#A-3944 is not currently available from Pinball.Center in Clear.

A-3944 (Classic Bally Drops) is currently being manufactured in Germany in the same frosted material as our other drops reviewed here. I hope to have some good news in a month or two.
    Right now; I don't foresee needing to do another order in a month... but we'll see.

#58 5 years ago

I will be in for about 10 x 80's bally drops

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

A-3944 (Classic Bally Drops) is currently being manufactured in Germany in the same frosted material as our other drops reviewed here.

Nice, I hope they are just as durable as the existing ones are!

1 month later
    1 week later
    #61 4 years ago

Bally Drops are on order and should ship on Monday (Germany) our Sunday.
    I'll let ya'll know when they go in stock on my store.

Also have some other unique product on order as a market test; I'll do a separate announcement when I have the products on site and ready to order.

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Bally Drops are on order and should ship on Monday (Germany) our Sunday.
    I'll let ya'll know when they go in stock on my store.
    Also have some other unique product on order as a market test; I'll do a separate announcement when I have the products on site and ready to order.

You always have cool stuff Zitt.

#63 4 years ago

A-3944 (Classic Bally Drops) are now in stock:
    http://pinball-mods.com/url/ClrDropTarget
    and are the same price as the WMS/DE drops.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

A-3944 (Classic Bally Drops) are now in stock:
    and are the same price as the WMS/DE drops.

How great would it be to find someone to hot stamp the generic artwork onto these? For instance the Bulls eye targets were used in several games.....be great to get these lucid drop targets with the hot stamped artwork!

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

How great would it be to find someone to hot stamp the generic artwork onto these? For instance the Bulls eye targets were used in several games.....be great to get these lucid drop targets with the hot stamped artwork!

Not something I'm going to do as I have no contacts to get this done.
    Given there are already stickers available from Marco; I don't see the value.

1 month later
    #66 4 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

How great would it be to find someone to hot stamp the generic artwork onto these?

Your post got me to thinking... which is usually very dangerous.
    I'm seeking advice from the community at large in the Lounge:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/talk-me-off-the-ledge-high-end-uv-printer
    Feel free to drop in and give your 2cents... and/or cast your vote.

8 months later
    #67 4 years ago

Ok going to bring this back from the dead...anyone put these in a stranger things? I am thinking about it in fact already ordered 4 but was curious before i jumped into it.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from KTruax:

Ok going to bring this back from the dead...anyone put these in a stranger things? I am thinking about it in fact already ordered 4 but was curious before i jumped into it.

I’m thinking about that as well. Here is what they would look like by the way from Mezel mods website

5341FCFA-3FD5-4234-B319-141655D0ED57 (resized).jpeg5341FCFA-3FD5-4234-B319-141655D0ED57 (resized).jpeg
    #69 4 years ago

Someone posted about using them on stranger things don't remember where... maybe facebook.

8 months later
    #70 3 years ago

Now in stock:
    Standard Flat Williams Drops in Frosted Clear.
    Compare to Bally/Williams part number 03-8749 or 03-8036

Available here:
    http://Pinball-Mods.com/url/WMS03-8749

image_64848_1[1][1] (resized).jpgimage_64848_1[1][1] (resized).jpg
    1 year later
    #71 1 year ago

After many months trying to line up a new manufacturer for these drops; I'm happy to report that the Stern Drops (used in most modern games) are finally back in stock:
    http://pinball-mods.com/url/545-6305-00
    and we also have a limited edition "Clear" available for the Stern machines.
    Clear Stern Drops - 545-6305-00Clear Stern Drops - 545-6305-00

All of our drops are in stock and available for immediate shipment:

6 months later
    #72 1 year ago

Any interest in Translucent Red Drop Targets for Stern?

RedSternDrop (resized).jpgRedSternDrop (resized).jpg
    2 months later
    #73 1 year ago

Im adding one to my T2.

Wish me luck..lol !

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Any interest in Translucent Red Drop Targets for Stern?[quoted image]

Could be interesting in The Walking Dead (Pro)

8 months later
    #75 3 months ago

I’ve had 3 of these frosted targets crack on the bottom in a Stranger Things so I just went back to the stock ones.

#76 3 months ago

This is the first I've heard of cracking.
    I have been selling these for YEARS and they haven't been reported as breaking in most games.
    Maybe there is something specific about Stranger Things.

#77 3 months ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I have been selling these for YEARS and they haven't been reported as breaking in most games.

Quite possibly. I had ordered these not long ago and ordered more maybe thinking a bad batch of plastic then it happened again. I added in a note when I ordered the last batch of 5 I got.

#78 3 months ago

Could be just too brutal an angle in Stranger Things, head-on. Most modern Stern drops I can think of are off-angle.

#79 3 months ago

I went ahead and added a note to the product page:
    https://pinball-mods.com/oscom/drop-target-stern-p-48.html
    that these drops are not recommend for Stranger Things.
    I probably didn't need to put a note on the page; but, I wanted to be open and direct with future customers so they aren't disappointed.

#80 3 months ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I did have one crack in a Stranger Things, but I replaced it with the same translucent one and it's been fine for about a year and counting... Not going back to black I've been spoiled by how great they look.

#81 3 months ago

They do look great in Stranger Things the black ones are so difficult to see

2 months later
    #82 20 days ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

I was inspired by this thread to order up a set of these to install on my IMDN.
    The black drop target from the factory are hard to notice on IMDN due to the sharp angle that they are at vs. the players view. You basically don't see the target faces at all unless you view the game from the left side. So I wanted to spruce things up a bit by using these transparent targets and some additional LED lighting to make the targets pop a bit.
    These targets work well, no strange bricking or other noticeable differences in play behaviour vs. the stock black ones. If anything I'd say these are more durable feeling in the hand as well. They are a "milky white" transparent, not perfectly clear, which is fine for my scenario.

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    ...and you thought I was kidding!
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    I used a 3 segment 5v LED strip directly behind the targets to light them up, connected to the nearby GI bulb. They go on and off with the GI as well which is nice for Fear of the Dark mode and others. They are bit bright at the moment so may experiment with other LED colours and placement in the future to refine the look a bit.
    Overall these are fantastic and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them!

Can I ask how to get this lighting component? Who sells? Thanks in advance. Figuring out the world of modding lighted toys/ add ons rather than buying from places

Thanks all

#83 20 days ago
    Quoted from JorgesArcade:

Can I ask how to get this lighting component? Who sells? Thanks in advance. Figuring out the world of modding lighted toys/ add ons rather than buying from places
    Thanks all

Not absolutely positive, but seems like it is most likely from Comet.
    https://www.cometpinball.com/products/lighting-strips

#84 19 days ago

Do we really need to "Pinstadium" a lighting solution for these drops?
    I'ven't done it because I just think most solutions should be based on the KISS principle and be super simple to implement (thereby keeping costs down).

That's said I know that Mezel Mods uses these drops in their kits for specific games. Might want to look there if you need a more turnkey solution.

#85 18 days ago

I have an interesting problem. I installed one of them in my STpro. It started acting funny. It has a opto fin in black, but wouldn’t lock the ball, score properly etc.(it’s been a while so I’m not sure of all the problems). I put the original back in, no problem. Install the translucent again, problems. This was not purchased from you. I’m thinking of adding more black to the fin.
    Any ideas?

#86 18 days ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I went ahead and added a note to the product page:
    that these drops are not recommend for Stranger Things.
    I probably didn't need to put a note on the page; but, I wanted to be open and direct with future customers so they aren't disappointed.

Zitt Do you have drop target options for Stern Jaws? I want the "fish finder" targets to light up green. Thank you.

#87 18 days ago
    Quoted from izzy:

I have an interesting problem. I installed one of them in my STpro. It started acting funny. It has a opto fin in black, but wouldn’t lock the ball, score properly etc.(it’s been a while so I’m not sure of all the problems). I put the original back in, no problem. Install the translucent again, problems. This was not purchased from you. I’m thinking of adding more black to the fin.
    Any ideas?

The opto flag HAS TO BE OPAQUE from a IR perspective.
    Every time someone report they put some black on the opto tab and have problems; they reapply another layer or three of paint and the problem goes away.
    Seriously; I've had about two people report problems and they both have come back and said "you were right" in no so many words.
    So yeah; more paint/finger nail polish.

Quoted from Ghostfist:

Zitt Do you have drop target options for Stern Jaws? I want the "fish finder" targets to light up green. Thank you.

Ghostfist
    I would be SHOCKED and amazed if Jaws didn't use the standard stern drop target:
    Every modern stern I'm aware of uses that target.

That said; you'd want to confirm on your game. Please report back; either way - I'm curious.

#88 16 days ago

Thx, that’s what I thought. It does work fine in switch test. Very odd.

#89 13 days ago
    Quoted from JorgesArcade:

Thanks all

My first crack at this I just had the strip braced directly behind the targets on top of the PF, but I have since moved them to the underside of the PF. Going from memory, but I think I ended up making a small led strip "bar" out of some tin I had laying around, mounted a Comet 3 led strip to it via the glue on the back, and then bent the tin in a few spots and drilled out some holes so that existing holes in the bottom of the PF for the drop assembly could be run through them to hold it in place. The comet is just connected to a nearby PF GI LED.

Truthfully it's a bit mickey mouse but hasn't moved or failed me in several years now. I can try to take a pic if you're interested.

This reminds me that I still haven't added the semi-translucent decals to the targets. I have them designed but need to find an appropriate clear decal material that I can print on with a laser printer. Any suggestions?

#90 13 days ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

My first crack at this I just had the strip braced directly behind the targets on top of the PF, but I have since moved them to the underside of the PF. Going from memory, but I think I ended up making a small led strip "bar" out of some tin I had laying around, mounted a Comet 3 led strip to it via the glue on the back, and then bent the tin in a few spots and drilled out some holes so that existing holes in the bottom of the PF for the drop assembly could be run through them to hold it in place. The comet is just connected to a nearby PF GI LED.
    Truthfully it's a bit mickey mouse but hasn't moved or failed me in several years now. I can try to take a pic if you're interested.
    This reminds me that I still haven't added the semi-translucent decals to the targets. I have them designed but need to find an appropriate clear decal material that I can print on with a laser printer. Any suggestions?

I'm looking into decal options as well. Going to Staples soon maybe they have somethin. I will share what I find out. My project is Jaws. Mind if I ask what pin your working on?

#91 12 days ago

Get the Avery clear laser printer decal sheets.

These only work on laser, you will have a mess in an inkjet

#92 6 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Get the Avery clear laser printer decal sheets.
    These only work on laser, you will have a mess in an inkjet

I couldn't find the Avery Decals locally so I went with these: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/avery-rectangle-clear-labels-with-easy-peel-1-x-2-permanent-adhesive-for-laserinkjet-printers-white/6000200935776

Here is how they turned out:

IMDN_TARGETS (resized).JPGIMDN_TARGETS (resized).JPG
    IMDN_TARGETS2 (resized).JPGIMDN_TARGETS2 (resized).JPG

Colors could be a tag more saturated, might try a reprint at some point. But these are fine.

#93 6 days ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Colors could be a tag more saturated, might try a reprint at some point. But these are fine.

I would have double printed them and then lined them up on a usb light board before installing them.
    I've done these with some other decals where the black wasn't black enought.

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/translucent-drop-targets-from-pinball-mods-vid-s-review/page/2?hl=ktruax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.