Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spacer_(resized).JPG
    tube_(resized).jpg
    image-907.jpg
    image-928.jpg
    image.jpg
    chute post.png
    v4 wire chute 3.png
    v4 wire chute 2.png
    v4 post with wire chute.png
    post_mod.JPG
    wire chute post v2.png
    wire chute 2.png
    wire chute 4.png
    wire chute 3.png
    wire chute 1.png
    625x465_1440514_1511709_1429693611.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tmezel.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Replace the 6-32 metal hex posts with translucent and solid color hex posts. We will be offering most standard sizes, with combinations of female and male ends. The pricing on these will be lower than the metal hex posts. Will be linking these to our website early next week.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Interesting but how are they for screw in strength. You can torque the metal ones pretty good when needed and not strip anything. That's why I like the steel ones.

They self thread so they hold nicely. I also sell hex nuts on the site that increase the surface area to not let the post turn.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

good, can you make one so that we can pass the wires inside, not sure if you did something like that?

I can try

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from judremy:

But you have to be able to feed the wires in from the side and not just another gap. What I am thinking is a second gap but with a slit along it to feed the 18 (16?) gauge wire into so it will hide it, but you can still get the wire out without cutting the wires or unsoldering. This is necessary as many of these wires go to spotlights.

I may have to use magic.

#21 9 years ago

Yes, Rock is the man. He had me make these so he could light them up. Maybe between the two of us we can figure something out. We may have to make them a bit bigger to get them illuminated. I owe you dinner in Chicago this year.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

I have a cart ready to pay on your site but I'd like to buy a few of these first. What sizes will they come in? They would go in my IM and maybe my Avengers.

I have to get the male post designed this weekend and we will offer all sizes. There are so many we may have to have a custom selection so you can let us know if there is a size we don't list. Listing will be available next week with pics of all the colors.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from callmesteam:

Ultimately, they don't need to have a hex shape. They could look like flames on MET or ACDC, be a bit larger without obstructing the players view, illuminated, and possibly hold the wires without needing to unsolder. The side facing away from the player could be completely slotted.

I had the same epiphany when I was installing them...so much for a simple replacement. We will try out some ideas for certain games. More to come...

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Come on Tim. All these cool mods you have going on and yet you are still keeping the ugly metal washers under the slings. At least put some clear or color matching ones in there

Check out the ACDC photo, it has red and white translucent ones. Got ya.

#38 9 years ago

I gotta get the 8-32 size finished this week. Kristin is a bit grumpy that we have to list about 20 sizes and a bunch of colors on the site.

1 week later
    #44 8 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

What about including a channel for running wires up to a spotlight? Pretty please?
    I see this has already been requested.

I think I may have a solution. I will make a regular hex post and then make a larger sleeve with a channel inside it to hide the wires.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

How about this Tim, Hex post with a extension for the wire to travel up through. Happy to give you the design as STL's to help you out or at least try. This is a 1 inch tall transparent red version with a cut out at the top and bottom for the wires to enter and exit without the need to drill holes into plastics etc. Happy to do a bunch of stl files at all different heights for nothing.

wire hex post 1.png (Click image to enlarge)
    wire hex post 2.png (Click image to enlarge)
    wire hex post 3.png (Click image to enlarge)

I think this is a good start. The problem is you have to spin the hex post on the screw.

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

you are correct and I experimented with this about 18 months ago and straight slits tends to allow the wires to fall out where as angled slits is effective like this hex post wire restraint I designed and have available on shapeways. The thing with slits on a long post is that they can't be flexed so it must be wide enough to suit the gauge of the wire hence the angled cable restraint is more effective.
    625x465_1440514_1511709_1429693611.jpg

So similar to this but full length to the inside hex post to hide the wires completely. Maybe a zigzag opening so the wires fit snug.

#59 8 years ago

I tried to use round posts and found they just don't print as well as a hex shape. The round one was to have two interlocking round shapes. The center post has to be pretty much the same size of the hex post for strength.

Swinks, If you want to send me the .stl I can tweak it to its minimal size and we can see what it looks like. Metallica has real small wires, my RFM and SWT has thicker wires. Up these will make good tests.

#61 8 years ago

Yeah, I probably will make just a larger full hex post with a slot for the wires to hide in.

#67 8 years ago

Give me a couple games to think about, Donny.

#71 8 years ago

What size hole did you use? I found 3.8 mm works the best.

#77 8 years ago

Here we go. Bottom line, these light posts are ugly as everyone knows and I think this is the best we can do for a mod. At first, I was thinking it was more of a PITA to get them aligned and was not impressed at first. The more I look at them, the more I think it's much better. The wires on MET are small diameter, I need to check the fit for thicker wires.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#78 8 years ago

I will print these in any color you want to match the playfield. Yes sir.

1 month later
    #80 8 years ago

I want to sincerely thank Swinks for the hidden wire design. I work with him on where this will be offered.

1 year later
    #85 7 years ago

We just don't have enough time to do these at this point.

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Would you be willing to release the STL file so that those with access to a printer could make their own?

Swinks gave the okay, so I will do that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tmezel.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/translucent-and-solid-color-hex-posts-by-mezelmods?tu=Tmezel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.