Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spacer_(resized).JPG
    tube_(resized).jpg
    image-907.jpg
    image-928.jpg
    image.jpg
    chute post.png
    v4 wire chute 3.png
    v4 wire chute 2.png
    v4 post with wire chute.png
    post_mod.JPG
    wire chute post v2.png
    wire chute 2.png
    wire chute 4.png
    wire chute 3.png
    wire chute 1.png
    625x465_1440514_1511709_1429693611.jpg
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 9 years ago

Some nice design ideas. I personally own Swink's CFTBL snack bar mod, so I can vouch that he does extremely high quality work. I'm eager to see what comes out of this meeting of the minds. Whatever it is, I'm sure my wallet will be a bit lighter because of it.

#52 9 years ago

I have I think a very simple solution to this and will model up, post and then can give Tim the designs to go for it if he wants them.

#53 9 years ago

not to take credit away from Tim's idea, as the guys at Mezelmods do nice stuff but just trying to help - bounce a few ideas and then you run with the best.

This idea for you is keep the original post to maintain strength and then you can introduce an additional post that adds the custom colour, hides the wires, no de-soldering. It has a 0.35mm gap between the original post and the chute post and then a wall thickness of 1.25mm as strength is not an issue rather looks and wire hiding function is. The customer can dis-assemble their particular post, slide the wire chute post over the wires and then slide the wire chute post over the original metal post and then reassemble.

The wire chute post can have the cut outs for the wires to enter and exit top and bottom. This also means you don't have to tap the 3D printed chute - simply print, pack and send.

Downside is a little bigger than original post, but you can hide wires and colourise the post. Also just while posting realised that the visible groove where you can see the post could be rotated to the next flat so then you the player are not looking at the exposed groove and then post can be flipped 180 degrees as then depending on what ever side you can just see the nice post.

If happy can tweak the design and send you the stl

wire chute 1.pngwire chute 1.png wire chute 2.pngwire chute 2.png wire chute 3.pngwire chute 3.png wire chute 4.pngwire chute 4.png
    #54 9 years ago

quickly did the slot on the next flat and now if you assembled this on say the rhs sling it would hide the wires as well as you not see the slot. Then to achieve the same on the other side flip the chute post 180 degrees to achieve the say result.

wire chute post v2.pngwire chute post v2.png
    #55 9 years ago

I would prefer it to not be very bulky. The smaller the profile the better.

#56 9 years ago

I think we are missing the point of what these are. These can be lite as they are but it will take a diy'er. Any way you shake it a guy will need some know how to make these work as you are still twisting these onto the pf. These are perfect as they are and have the biggest market as they are.

They are a fantastic product, i have used them.

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

I think we are missing the point of what these are. These can be lite as they are but it will take a diy'er. Any way you shake it a guy will need some know how to make these work as you are still twisting these onto the pf. These are perfect as they are and have the biggest market as they are.
    They are a fantastic product, i have used them.

?
    They are trying to figure out a way to hide and contain the wires. I don't think a product like that is available yet.

#58 9 years ago

Nope you are correct a product like that is not available yet. I am sure they will figure out a nice solution.

#59 8 years ago

I tried to use round posts and found they just don't print as well as a hex shape. The round one was to have two interlocking round shapes. The center post has to be pretty much the same size of the hex post for strength.

Swinks, If you want to send me the .stl I can tweak it to its minimal size and we can see what it looks like. Metallica has real small wires, my RFM and SWT has thicker wires. Up these will make good tests.

#60 8 years ago

Why do you need the opening on them (Swinks design)? Would take just a tad more time to install but those could slide over the existing post and be solid all the way around. You could then have a smaller profile for the wires and still maintain the strength.

#61 8 years ago

Yeah, I probably will make just a larger full hex post with a slot for the wires to hide in.

#62 8 years ago

if it is a enclosed design then you need to do soldering and remove wires from lamps and then install and re-install when the blue and yellow design allows no mucking around. The yellow and blue posts are approx 3/8" wide x 5/8" long by the height.

I will tweak the design to make 1mm walls as it is not load being and send it your way to do a print & fit test.

#63 8 years ago

How about this mod of Swinks design? The black line represents an opening that would need to be big enough to slide the wires into the channel. This would not require any soldering and should hold the wires inside.

post_mod.JPGpost_mod.JPG

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

How about this mod of Swinks design? The black line represents an opening that would need to be big enough to slide the wires into the channel. This would not require any soldering and should hold the wires inside.
    post_mod.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

yeah I will do a quick change to that file and can send to Tim along with the other one.

#65 8 years ago

A lot of great ideas here, but I still want to see them shaped like something cool. Badass flames or boulders or a pile of skulls or my prenup or something. WORK HARDER GUYS *cough* (being sarcastic, forgot this was pinside for a second)

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from callmesteam:

A lot of great ideas here, but I still want to see them shaped like something cool. Badass flames or boulders or a pile of skulls or my prenup or something. WORK HARDER GUYS *cough* (being sarcastic, forgot this was pinside for a second)

Baby steps, baby steps. Sometimes the best ideas start off simple and small. Your ideas could be next and game specific.

#67 8 years ago

Give me a couple games to think about, Donny.

#68 8 years ago

If this product turns out nice and affordable, I am excited to try them on my WOZ and SM.

#69 8 years ago

here is the red post (now green to differentiate between the design changes) with one sort of z slot with the hex incorporated. I made the radii in the slot a little bigger to help Tim print better. The slot is 1.8mm wide to cater for the thick wires.

v4 post with wire chute.pngv4 post with wire chute.png
    v4 wire chute 2.pngv4 wire chute 2.png
    v4 wire chute 3.pngv4 wire chute 3.png

#70 8 years ago

Nice work. It would definitely be better than exposed zip ties and 100% exposed wires.

#71 8 years ago

What size hole did you use? I found 3.8 mm works the best.

#72 8 years ago

I think a little smaller but will change it to 3.8mm

#73 8 years ago

here is a image of the last one with a slightly bigger hole for the thread and the slot changed a little with an angled slot in the centre which looks better visually (your idea DCFAN)

chute post.pngchute post.png

#74 8 years ago

Tim,
    I'm relatively new to pins. For those of us who don't know who you are, what is your web site? I think these would look cool on just about any of my games....

Keith

#75 8 years ago
    Quoted from boneman91:

Tim,
    I'm relatively new to pins. For those of us who don't know who you are, what is your web site? I think these would look cool on just about any of my games....
    Keith

http://mezelmods.com/

Got some cool parts at a good price. These being one of the coolest (hopeless plug ) http://mezelmods.com/collections/under20/products/stern-target-splints

#76 8 years ago

Cool site! Thanks. Will place an order soon.

#77 8 years ago

Here we go. Bottom line, these light posts are ugly as everyone knows and I think this is the best we can do for a mod. At first, I was thinking it was more of a PITA to get them aligned and was not impressed at first. The more I look at them, the more I think it's much better. The wires on MET are small diameter, I need to check the fit for thicker wires.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#78 8 years ago

I will print these in any color you want to match the playfield. Yes sir.

2 weeks later
    #79 8 years ago

So are these available on your site? I am about to place an order and I wanted a bunch for my IM

2 weeks later
    #80 8 years ago

I want to sincerely thank Swinks for the hidden wire design. I work with him on where this will be offered.

1 year later
    #81 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tmezel:

I want to sincerely thank Swinks for the hidden wire design. I work with him on where this will be offered.

Just happened upon this thread...did these ever materialize? Can't find them on the MM site.
    thanks

#82 7 years ago

Yes I wanted to buy some too but I not sure they ever were made

#83 7 years ago

Tim made me some. I swear they were on the site at one point. I dig them!!

#84 7 years ago

I should say the regular posts. But the wire channel version

#85 7 years ago

We just don't have enough time to do these at this point.

#86 7 years ago

Well that's a good problem to have

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tmezel:

We just don't have enough time to do these at this point.

Would you be willing to release the STL file so that those with access to a printer could make their own?

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Would you be willing to release the STL file so that those with access to a printer could make their own?

I did the design (with the concealed wire channel) and gave it to Mezelmods to help the cause a while back, but unfortunately I must have deleted it so Mezelmods has the design. Just putting it out there that I am cool to make it publically available if Tim wants to go that direction.

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Swinks gave the okay, so I will do that.

#90 7 years ago

Anodized aluminum would also be really nice. For example look at these Anodized aluminum tubes. Just buy a few feet of tubes and slide them over the hex. However you would need to leave enough gap to get a thin wrench to have access to the hex. The point of the tube was to hide the wires if needed.

tube_(resized).jpgtube_(resized).jpg

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Just putting it out there that I am cool to make it publically available if Tim wants to go that direction.

Quoted from Tmezel:

Swinks gave the okay, so I will do that.

Very cool of you guys.

#93 7 years ago

I'd love the .stl file. I could use this on Spaceballs.

If you guys don't have any intention of selling these, I could make it a customizable object on thingiverse to let people make whatever length they wanted.

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

If you guys don't have any intention of selling these, I could make it a customizable object on thingiverse to let people make whatever length they wanted.

That's what I was thinking as well. If you're not planning to sell them (or maybe even if you are), posting it on Thingiverse would be a good way to share it rather than having to continuously email the file to people.

#95 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'd love the .stl file. I could use this on Spaceballs.

I am cool with this, bummer that I lost the file. I only designed the initial design as 1" long but totally cool for you to customise it and add to thingiverse for all those that want to use it.

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I am cool with this, bummer that I lost the file. I only designed the initial design as 1" long but totally cool for you to customise it and add to thingiverse for all those that want to use it.

Cool. TMezel, if you decide you guys aren't going to sell these, let me know and I'll be happy to create a SCAD script from it so people can customize them on thingiverse. You and swinks are welcome to take all the credit.

#97 7 years ago

that or I can redesign over the next few nights and add to my shapeways store so people can buy if they don't have a printer but I will also make the stl file free to download via the links - can do in a 1", 1 1/2" and 2" version.

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

that or I can redesign over the next few nights and add to my shapeways store so people can buy if they don't have a printer but I will also make the stl file free to download via the links - can do in a 1", 1 1/2" and 2" version.

That would be sweet.

#99 7 years ago

Spacers would also be a good idea. They are usually an ugly grey. I'm new to 3d printing and modeling, but spacers seem easy enough.

EDIT: Yup. Even I can make a spacer in Autocad 123D

#100 7 years ago

To anyone interested, here is an 123D design file with a 1" spacer, 3/16" inner diameter and 3/8" outer diameter. This appears to be a standard pinball spacer. Just scale / size and print in whatever color / length you want:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12894/spacer.123dx

spacer_(resized).JPGspacer_(resized).JPG

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/translucent-and-solid-color-hex-posts-by-mezelmods/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.