• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pharaoh (resized).jpg
Pharaoh 1 pst (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Howdy! This has probably been posted a thousand times, but I'm search-challenged in this forum. Like so many others, I have a Pharaoh (Williams '81) machine without a backglass. BG Retro will do me an actual glass for a nearly $350 complete, but I'm seeing several people have been pleased with translites for about half the cost. From a purist point of view glass is king, but if it's not an original, does it matter? And then, if a translite gives the same appearance, again, does it really matter? I've never seen a translite on a machine that came with glass, so I don't really know how they look on them. My machine was purchased from a coin-op repair guy as a project machine. I'll get it working, enjoy it for some time, and then probably sell it. If anybody is willing to give me their two cents worth on this topic, I'd appreciate it greatly.

#2 4 years ago

I would say to a purist, it would matter and they will nit pick it. From a person who prides himself on producing nice translites, for most collectors I don't think it matters.

#3 4 years ago

I've got an original Pharaoh BG on mine, and although it is in good shape, it looks horrible, it is dark and fuzzy compared to the mirrored BGs of the other fantastic 4 machines.

Pharaoh is an odd duck machine, you'll probably find a Williams collector to sell it to, will probably want a real BG over a translight, and its probably worth the extra $150. Rm,ember there is a hard top for this, so maybe someone will want to 'restore' it.

With that said, it all depends on how good the repros look, and I haven't seen either style. It also depends on what shape your machine is in. If it's a player's player, then translight probably OK. If the machine is nice, go with the BG. Get it working an in the shape you want, then make your decision.

My BK has a Mayfair glass, looks great
JL has BG resto, looks OK, but it isn't mirrored
Solar Fire has a CPR and looks great
Pharaoh has original and looks dark

GL

#4 4 years ago

Live dangerously and go with this fun alternate. I had it on mine and loved it.

Pharaoh (resized).jpgPharaoh (resized).jpgPharaoh 1 pst (resized).jpgPharaoh 1 pst (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead0101:

Howdy! This has probably been posted a thousand times, but I'm search-challenged in this forum. Like so many others, I have a Pharaoh (Williams '81) machine without a backglass. BG Retro will do me an actual glass for a nearly $350 complete, but I'm seeing several people have been pleased with translites for about half the cost. From a purist point of view glass is king, but if it's not an original, does it matter? And then, if a translite gives the same appearance, again, does it really matter? I've never seen a translite on a machine that came with glass, so I don't really know how they look on them. My machine was purchased from a coin-op repair guy as a project machine. I'll get it working, enjoy it for some time, and then probably sell it. If anybody is willing to give me their two cents worth on this topic, I'd appreciate it greatly.

I’d verify what BG offers is a true Printed or silkscreen glass. I have a Lasercue thick trans light with taped rolled over the edge of the glass. I’m not sure if this was a special case, but disappointing.

#6 4 years ago

I'm sure you have seen translites on machines that originally had glass, but didn't know it. Unless you tapped on it with your finger.

If you're going to a nice restoration then I'd get glass. If making a nice player to enjoy go for the cheaper option.

Either way it'll look way nicer than a flaking, faded out original.

-Paul

#7 4 years ago

Thanks for the responses!

#8 4 years ago

Im in the same boat with a Firepower
BG Resto cant do the mirror
CPR just told me they have no plans to run this
Mayfair wants $56789876567889.99 for a repro from the 90s
Bout to say screw it and go the translight route
(cough cough @atari_daze cough)

#9 4 years ago

Do what, I thought I heard something?

Some mirror effect can be simulated with chrome vinyl. It is a time consuming and often tedious process but I have found the results positive thus far.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Mayfair wants $56789876567889.99 for a repro from the 90s

Wow, that's more than I expected...I think Atari_Daze can do it for you for half that.

#11 4 years ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd rather have a bad original then any so called reproduction glass/translite no matter who made it. Search for an original, there out there.

John

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI
Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 52.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/translite-vs-repro-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.