• Latest reply 1 year ago by chopr1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5296 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Hi guys. I purchased a new 'Pool Sharks' translite' and glass to install on my machine (the old one was garbage). Now when I put the translite on the glass (with new moldings) it appears to have air pockets in different places, not large, but not the prestige look I was looking for. My wife says its air pockets. Glass is prestine clean, did not wipe off translite as didn't want to screw it up! What am I missing or what is the trick of the trade. Thanks for any knowledge. Tuff being a newbie! Gary

#2 1 year ago

Is it a brand new translite, or a nice used one?

If it's actually brand new, it might still have a protective film on it.

If you're not sure, don't pick at it just yet. Post a photo here.

#3 1 year ago

Being 'old' it is hard for me to post pictures. BUT, yes is is brand new, and yes it had a protective film on it which I removed before installing. Careful not to touch and parts of of the glass or translite with our hands as to put finger prints or transmit oil to the surface. Those (air pockets 'not large, some button size some larger) it just looks like the 'crazing of the paint' on the old glass which I wanted to correct. The rest of the machine in perfect. I just wanted the back glass to match. Thank you. Note the translated was in perfect condition and looks nice!!

#4 1 year ago

Wasn’t pool sharks a real backglass? Not a clear tempered glass with translite behind.

If this is the case, this would not be a NOS translite. And, I have seen some poor made fake translites out there.

#5 1 year ago

Clean the glass. Then dust it with talcum powder or baby powder. Blow it all off.

Then the translite won't glue to the glass.

LTG : )

#6 1 year ago

Yes the old back glass was tempered and the design is painted on. It is (appears to be original) the paint was just in bad shape, crazing and such. Doesn't appear to have been altered, try to cover up bad spots and such, black tape added here and there but just old in general. The new translite is very nice, not a seconds crap, I just thought I was missing something installing it. Amazed (as a newbie would be) that it isn't put on with an adhesive (I KNOW THATS NOT THE CASE) just saying. If the talcum powder is maybe recommended to do I'll try it. Thank you guys so much for the info. As I know this is a trivial thing for you!!!!

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from chopr1:

If the talcum powder is maybe recommended to do I'll try it.

I've done that through the years, where you get spots like moisture between the glass and translite.

Doesn't hurt anything. You can't see it. Works great.

#8 1 year ago

LGT That's it "I can see it". It's like a ding on a car, we see but no one else does!!!! Thanks guys, much appreciated.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

you get spots like moisture between the glass and translite.

I might point out that this is usually static cling. You can get it often on real shiny translites.

#10 1 year ago

You can avoid some of the static by rubbing it with a bounce dryer sheet.

Just my 2 cents.

#11 1 year ago

Thanks again

#12 1 year ago

The back glass turned out great, thanks to your help and tips. Peeling off the film left it a little sticky which when applied to the glass would leave some air bubbles.

IMG_5296 (resized).jpegIMG_5296 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
PinSound

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/translite-to-glass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.