8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by SealClubber
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

R2D2.JPG
    Death_Star.JPG
    Inside_Cab.JPG
    Coin_Door.JPG
    Backbox.JPG

#1 8 years ago

For DE translites;

How do you replace the plastic translite portion in a backglass? Do you just take off the side trim, separate the two glass panes and slide out the old translite and slide in the new one?

Are Data East Translites the same size as other manufacturers like Sega, Stern, Williams, Gottleib? I'm wondering (hopeing) if I can get a backglass from another game and switch out the translte.

I want to buy a Star Wars pin but the backglass is broken. I have a line on a repro translite but will need to get glass and trim for it. I don't want to be stuck without a backglass forever or have to spend $500+ on an original.

#2 8 years ago

The Data East has a plactic insert (picture) that goes behind a single sheet of glass. To remove it you will want to remove all four of the black plastic trim pieces and remove the plastic translite. Before installing a new translite you will want to give both sides of the glass a good cleaning.

I do not know if the Data East translights are the same as other machines, hopefully they are the same or a bit smaller-if smaller you could cut down a translite from another machine to make it fit your D.E.

I will measure my Stern and Williams later...

#3 8 years ago

I know they don't have yours but I do check here for them for people:

http://www.tntamusements.com/inventory/pinball-backglasses/

You never know if they might have what you are looking for or considering to buy in a machine. Not many places carry used backglass etc. Also cheap and reasonable.

I hope somebody finds something they need there sometime. I bought a certain backglass from them I just wanted even though I didn't own the machine. I'm sure you folks who've been around awhile here know which one it was

#4 8 years ago

Well, thanks everyone but I'm not buying a translite, or anything else for it. The cabinet, backbox, trim and backglass were destroyed from sitting in a hot, leaky container in San Diego for a year. The good news is everything seemed to work and the playfield and electronics are in good shape. DMD Damn shame as this guy seemed to take great care of it. Has a box of new extra PF parts, scoops, kickers and other assemblies.

I try to save games but this one is beyond saving. I'm parting it out. Too bad I don't have another Star Wars to use the parts towards.

#5 8 years ago

Here are some pics of the bad.

Backbox.JPG Coin_Door.JPG Inside_Cab.JPG

#6 8 years ago

The good. The playfield is dirty but in pretty good shape. Some minor wear around the scoops. Wonder how much a working R2 and the Death star assembly go for?

Death_Star.JPG R2D2.JPG

#7 8 years ago

No way the cabinet can be fixed up? Are all the PCBs intact and in good shape?
    Maybe you can get the game up and going and refurb the cabinet and head later?

Love to have a Star Wars, been a few local for about 1500.

#8 8 years ago

Everything works except the DMD, drops and the trough eject. Was playing it last night. Used the DMD from my LOTR. It would cost way more to fix than it's worth, if I can get parts. Needs a new DMD, Backglass, Speaker panel, all the trim, legs, coin door. The cabinet is warped, cracked and delaminating. The wireforms are too rusty to polish. The PF has minimal wear but the surface paint is "Pebbled?" Kinda looks like hail damage on a car. Can only notice it at an angle. My guess is humidity damage. It is not bubbled though. Not sure if a good cleaning, polishing and waxing will help that.
    If I lived in the lower 48 I would keep the parts and look for a good cab with a trashed PF. But I am not paying $500 to ship a Star Wars in any condition to Alaska. If I'm going to pay that, it will be for a NIB Spiderman. I doubt there is even another SW up here. Believe me, I wish it were salvageable.

#9 8 years ago

I saw this machine for sale a week ago as part of a large lot of machines:

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4650

I did think of you when I saw it.

#10 8 years ago

North, to Alaska. Way up north, to Alaska. I go north, the rush is on.

#11 8 years ago

I guess it would be too much work to take apart the cabinet re trace it out on better plywood, cut ,and re glue & re paint.
    I did see a small company at a show selling brand new pinball machine cabinets
    looked interesting the different kinds side by side unfinished -didn't get a name or price

#12 8 years ago

Way beyond my woodworking and painting skills.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    £ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 21.00
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 11.95
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Hobbit Black Arrow Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 89.99
    $ 89.99
    $ 199.99
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside