Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Da-Shaker
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    312242BF-FD61-4D61-BBB8-DBB84B744DA7 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Hello,
    I feel like this is a dumb question, but I need help. I purchased a HUO 2004 Stern Simpsons Pinball Party and can't remove the translite. I've removed many in the past, but this one won't budge. The 2004 Simpsons has never had it's translite removed before and seems to be stuck. I'm wondering if there is any suggestions on how to remove it without damaging the translite or wood perimeter. It seems to be jammed in there and won't lift up. Yes, it's unlocked. Also, I need to get to the AA's out ASAP.

Thank you

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Hello,
    I feel like this is a dumb question, but I need help. I purchased a HUO 2004 Stern Simpsons Pinball Party and can't remove the translite. I've removed many in the past, but this one won't budge. The 2004 Simpsons has never had it's translite removed before and seems to be stuck. I'm wondering if there is any suggestions on how to remove it without damaging the translite or wood perimeter. It seems to be jammed in there and won't lift up. Yes, it's unlocked. Also, I need to get to the AA's out ASAP.
    Thank you

I’ve found sometimes pushing in with moderate force at the bottom near the channel seems to free up games. It’s also possible that it got badly wedged at the top during transit. You can try wiggling it at the top to see if it got hung up on the latch despite being unlocked.

#3 2 years ago

I can jiggle the top, but the middle to bottom won’t move. The bottom lip of the translite is starting to warp from me lifting and I feel like the back plastic might crack. I’ll try pushing in the bottom with moderate force. I was also thinking of removing the upper lock. I’m not sure if that’ll help or not. I can send a better photo a little later if needed.

312242BF-FD61-4D61-BBB8-DBB84B744DA7 (resized).jpeg312242BF-FD61-4D61-BBB8-DBB84B744DA7 (resized).jpeg
    #4 2 years ago

Here’s what removing the lock will do. It should allow you to remove the translite,glass, speaker panel and all. Then you can separate the fused parts.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Here’s what removing the lock will do. It should allow you to remove the translite,glass, speaker panel and all. Then you can separate the fused parts.

I don't think that matters on the older wooden head Sterns. There is still a wood channel on top when you remove the lock.

The glass is 'fused' to the channels on the sides an bottom of the head, sometimes to foam/ or other vibration dampening stuff.

Put both palms on the glass, apply enough inward pressure to keep a good grip on the glass and push up with as much force as you can. It's the only way I've gotten them off. I've had this on several machines and haven't broken the glass. Spread the hand pressure out, don't try to pry it out, that's what breaks them.

#6 2 years ago

this happens to my T3 all the time, i have to gently punch all around the edges to free it up haha. must be the weather striping or something i never really looked into it

#7 2 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I will try these techniques and report back.

#8 2 years ago

It still won’t move. Freaking stuck!

#9 2 years ago
    image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #10 2 years ago

I can move the speaker box left and right. Seems like there’s separation. Additionally, from the back side through screen I can see it’s unlocked.

#11 2 years ago

Almost got it. Something on the right side is holding. I’m trying to push up with both palms and shake left and right. It seemed to free up the left side

#12 2 years ago

Holly freak crap. That was a Bit**. Seemed to be glued to the foam. Thx for the help. Just in time the AA are doing their thing

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Holly freak crap. That was a Bit**. Seemed to be glued to the foam. Thx for the help. Just in time the AA are doing their thing
    [quoted image]

Glad you got it, what a pain in the ass. I hate when something simple is a million times more difficult than it should be.

#14 2 years ago

I keep one of these with me when I pick up a pin project-
    https://www.harborfreight.com/4-23-in-dual-suction-cup-lifter-125-lb-57501.html

It is great for playfield glass and for lifting out back glasses where the channel is broken.

Glad you got it out!

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

[quoted image]

Looks like they already did their thing!
    Make sure to neutralize that stuff!

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I keep one of these with me when I pick up a pin project-
    https://www.harborfreight.com/4-23-in-dual-suction-cup-lifter-125-lb-57501.html
    It is great for playfield glass and for lifting out back glasses where the channel is broken.
    Glad you got it out!

I could have used that for sure

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Looks like they already did their thing!
    Make sure to neutralize that stuff!

Already done, thank you

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/translite-never-removed-and-stuck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.