(Topic ID: 236726)

Translite lighting options for Bally 6803 games?

By Oldschool77

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wdennie
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190312_200153 (resized).jpg
20190312_200123_HDR (resized).jpg
20190310_203906 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldschool77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Has anyone attempted alternative lighting options for Bally 6803 games with the single bulb backbox? I have a D&D on its way (being shipped) and that's the first thing that HAS TO GO for me. So i purchased 30 FT of 12VDC 5050 warm white strips off eBay and a dimmer (to get the brightness perfect). I've had great luck in the past with these in arcade marquees but the only catch is how to mount them in thsi game since there's no board like more modern games. I’m planning on making an "insert" board like System 11 has out of 1/4" plywood and piano hinges, but I think the fuse board on the left is gonna get in the way of mounting the hinged (can i slide it back an inch or so?).

Anyone else have a write up or pics of what you have done?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

I’ve done this very thing with my D&D, simply too. I found off Amazon a ring of leds that attach to a bulb fixture. Screwed it in, works swimmingly.
I’ve got my machines put away otherwise I’d send a pic, but it was super easy.

Good idea, did it light the whole translite evenly, or did it still have a "hot spot" but just bigger?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

It did it very evenly. I pushed it back as far as it would go. Looked amazing with my translite as well as my back glass

That's a great idea! I should of asked this question before I bought the strips and writing etc. The big thing I'm trying to avoid is having to make an "insert" and it sounds like you have the right idea!

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

I'm in the middle of moving, but if I can get to my machine I'll try to get a pic of what I have. Very easy and nice.

Great, thank you! I'm surprise there aren't more posts about this issue.

2 weeks later
#9 5 years ago

Figured I’d share this with you guys.... I didn’t take a pic with the backglass off, but i will tonight and update this. So basically I used the cheap warm white LED eBay waterproof strips that i strung top to bottom about 9 times with about 3 inches of spacing between each line (so there's no striping or spotting on the translite). Using stickyback clips I attached them to wood strips i cut to width (it'll make more sense when i get pics up with the glass off) on the top and bottom of the backbox. I also got an inline dimmer and plugged everything into a socket adapter that screwed into the existing lamp socket in the backbox. I'm VERY happy with how it came out. Total output was about $30. WELL WELL worth it!! And it’s completely reversible if someone wants to go back to stock.

20190310_203906 (resized).jpg20190310_203906 (resized).jpg
#10 5 years ago

Here's a couple pics with the BG off. if you have any questions feel free to ask!

20190312_200123_HDR (resized).jpg20190312_200123_HDR (resized).jpg20190312_200153 (resized).jpg20190312_200153 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
2,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldschool77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/translite-lighting-options-for-bally-6803-games?tu=Oldschool77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.