image.jpg
1416767322895.jpg
1416767238930.jpg
1416767089805.jpg
1416767045578.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic1.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Please advise, I ordered some 44 and 89 LEDS from cointaker. I was so excited to install them with a new translite for Maverick. As soon as I turned on the game, and turned off the light, I could see just about every LED bulb behind the translite.

Any ideas on how to hide the LEDS? Anyone come across this? I never had any issues installing LEDS on an original backglass with my other PIN, and you didn't see the LEDS, but of course it was the original backglass.

Please advise, help??? Thanks a lot.

#2 9 years ago

Im guessing poor print quality of an alternate translite. Its hard to diagnose without knowing what type of LEDs etc. Post a photo of the head with the translite on and removed and you will should get good advice.

#3 9 years ago

The LEDs are probably just too bright. I like dimmer, frosted LEDs behind translites for more subtle color.

#4 9 years ago

You have a couple choices.

If your bulbs are not diffused or "Frosted", you will need them.
If you are using these, then you can either use the next lower level in brightness,
or put on opaque second layer of thin sheet behind the translite, to diffuse further..
This, depending on the bulbs, and the thickness of your screen printing, could take some experimenting.

#5 9 years ago

I had a translight that did this before and the only thing I found to work was I made a new backing for the translight out of a large white piece of thin posterboard. I did this because the translight was missing the white on the back that the rest of mine were missing guessing it was a repro .

#6 9 years ago

I tried every kind of led and even regular bulbs and all them looked like crap with the translight which is y I went with a backing because it wasnt made correctly

#7 9 years ago

Thanks everyone, I bet a white poster piece may help, but from the other posts have good ideas too.

Frosted LEDS, i don't know much about them?

Bigd1979, after you used the poster, did it work and what type of LEDS did you utilize? Thanks

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Kholmes:

Thanks everyone, I bet a white poster piece may help, but from the other posts have good ideas too.
Bigd1979, after you used the poster, did it work and what type of LEDS did you utilize? Thanks

Not to sound redundant but...post some pictures and we will know what you are dealing with and be able to give the best advice; as this is really a visual perspective problem.

#9 9 years ago

I never put leds behind a translite

#10 9 years ago

This might sound dodgy but it works >>a sheet of baking paper doubled over behind the translite will diffuse the LED glare and is sure cheaper than replacing all your LED'S. Before i finally tracked down a NOS JD translite i used a piece of baking paper folded up quite a few times (about 6) to cover for a wedge of the backing that was missing (it just had the colour in that area). To diffuse some light you may not even need to double it. Crazy idea i grant you but it works

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Kholmes:

Well I tried a bunch of different combos with the thickness of the diffuser and different leds I believe I used 1 layer of poster board and comet 2 led frosted and 2 led clear where I wanted more direct light.

#12 9 years ago

Heres a link to CT's frosted led page. Basically each led has a diffuser on it.

http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc?categoryId=6

Ive read posts of people using milk jug plastic as diffuser material before. Maybe cut a circle or two and mount them if front of the bulb and see if that helps?

I like the parchment paper idea too. Worth a try.

CT has a blackfriday code for this friday to get 20% off as well.

Rick

#13 9 years ago

Here is what I've got. As you can see, just about every LED is showing. I like the brightness, but upset on how it looks. Everyone has been giving me great ideas, but now that you can see what I got, maybe someone has seen the exact same issue. Thanks a lot.

pic1.jpgpic1.jpg pic2.jpgpic2.jpg
#14 9 years ago

I have used the minis from cointaker behind translights they have a nice light spread .The issue with LEDs is they don't project light the same as incandescent bulb and there a huge volume of choices in brightness levels. Frosted bulbs will give you better light spread to the side if you bought supers they may be to bright. I tried many different LEDs behind a lethal weapon translite and they all looked worse than incandescent and I really didn't want Mel Gibsons mug and brighter so the stock bulbs were put back in

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Kholmes:

I ordered some 44 and 89 LEDS from cointaker.

Since Cointaker has around 10 - 15 kind of 44 bulbs, maybe it would help if you specified WHICH bulb it was?
SuperBright, UltraBright, Flex, Concave, Flat, Frosted, single SMD, dual SMD, Clear Dome, Minis, Wide Angle, 2 LED, 4 LED, Hi Power, Non-Ghosting, GI, OMG, LOL!

BTW, the term for the issue that you are having is called "Hot Spots"

This is how you will need to solve your problem:

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

If your bulbs are not diffused or "Frosted", you will need them.
If you are using these, then you can either use the next lower level in brightness,
or put on opaque second layer of thin sheet behind the translite, to diffuse further..

#16 9 years ago

Just use 1smd frosted bulbs. You can even get away with non premiums for GI and translite bulbs.

#17 9 years ago

I suspect that's a repro translite. Hard to tell without seeing it in person, but a lot of the cheaper reproductions are really thin and will let the light through much more directly like that.

When I have my translites printed they're done on backlight film, but then have a diffuser layer bonded to the back, which prevents that kind of hot spotting.

You could definitely experiment with less bright LEDs, but before you spend the money you might go ahead and try some experimenting with creating your own diffuser layer like people have suggested. You really just need something that's semi-opaque, just translucent enough to "glow" from the light but not let the individual hot spots appear.

Try some paper just taped over the bulbs in one spot, only take a moment, and then you can see if that looks like it might work with some more effort.

#18 9 years ago

Always use the DIMMEST bulb available. Bright is not what you want for a backbox because of the resulting glare on the playfield glass.

Always use FROSTED dome bulbs to defuse the light cone, and help prevent hotspotting.

-

Finally, the thing many people are still in denial about; sometimes no LED looks as good as real incandescent bulbs.

We all want to use LEDs, they are new, they are cool, they reduce the power consumption of the game, but if they wash out all of the original art (or glob in new patches of color, destroying the art), then you are better off using #47 bulbs - as the original artist intended.

#19 9 years ago

I have had luck, placing squares of black electrical tape, just slightly bigger on the tip of the l.e.d. If that is too dark, I try different colors of painters or masking tape.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Kholmes:

Here is what I've got. As you can see, just about every LED is showing. I like the brightness, but upset on how it looks. Everyone has been giving me great ideas, but now that you can see what I got, maybe someone has seen the exact same issue. Thanks a lot.

pic1.jpg 284 KB

pic2.jpg 219 KB

I like it...it looks like someone shot Mel in several places...

#21 9 years ago

Frosted will give you the look you want.

From the pics it looks like you have these in there.

I know the base might be different.

But here is the difference.

1416767045578.jpg1416767045578.jpg 1416767089805.jpg1416767089805.jpg 1416767238930.jpg1416767238930.jpg 1416767322895.jpg1416767322895.jpg
#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Kholmes:

It looks like your using clear domed bulbs, something really easy you can try is sanding the top of the plastic dome. Just take out one bulb and sand the top, basically turning it into a frosted bulb, and see if that helps.

#23 9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I agree with a lot of you that the frosted LEDS may be the way to go. I put an email out to Chris at Cointaker last night and he responded today with the same answer-frosted is the way to go. I will take a pic after I order some and see what they look like. Thanks again everyone.

#24 9 years ago

Did you try sanding a bulb a bit with some sandpaper? I have had success doing this and was able to get rid of "hotspots"

#25 9 years ago

would 2'x4' flourescent light box diffuser sheet (like false hanging ceilings use) help?
theres a couple different patterns in both clear and milky white, its not expensive stuff.
if going frosted LED's doesnt soften enough, that stuff might.

#26 9 years ago

I just had this issue with older SS BGs, I ordered Frosted cool white 44 base bulbs from Cointaker and the worked great no hot spots and they brightened up my games really well. Chris and Melissa at Cointaker will work with you to figure out which bulbs work best for your situation! and they have the Black Friday sale going on right now so it is a win win!!

Phoebe

#27 9 years ago

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate it. Butterflygirl24, I ordered the frosted cool white 44 bulbs earlier today from Cointaker. I am hoping this does the trick.

Zizzlemeplease, I have never heard of the diffuser sheet. I'm assuming you can get it at Lowes/Home Depot? Others had ideas for the white poster board as well, which may get rid of those spots. I hope it works. I work nights, so I will not be able to get back to everyone until this evening.

Spitfiren8, I didn't try to sand them. I ended up using the bulbs on the PF. Thanks though.

#28 9 years ago

I think they were suggesting you could buy a sheet of the "trim" visible plastic part of drop ceiling fluorescent light and cut it to the shape of your translight.

Similar to the coverings on the lights in this picture:

image.jpgimage.jpg

They probably sell replacement sheets of this at lowes/hd.

Basically anything that lets some of the light through and spreads out the light will help remove the hot spots around each bulb.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Always use the DIMMEST bulb available. Bright is not what you want for a backbox because of the resulting glare on the playfield glass.

Do not do this. The dimmest ones, ie the concave and some other not bright lenses can nearly result in no light behind some translites at all.

I have taken them out of two games where it nearly appeared like the GI was out.

I have even found frosted to be "spotlighty". This is more apparent when you are further away from the machine. It appears more light is concentrated out of the tip in a beam then elsewhere.

I have found supers to be the best, and they diffuse on an cone more evenly, and are far enough away to not cast a hotspot.

#30 9 years ago

yep, thats the stuff.. diffuser sheets for fluorescent lights in typical overhead boxes. the patterned milky white might do wonders with VERY bright LED's if you want it lit really bright without hotspots (like maybe the frosted dome doubles). downside going that kind of bright might be reflection-glare off the pf glass? good hardware-home stores have it, fairly easy to trim to size with box-cutter razor and straightedge, score it deep and pop it on a hard counter edge like you'd do with glass is one way.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Do not do this. The dimmest ones, ie the concave and some other not bright lenses can nearly result in no light behind some translites at all.

I have taken them out of two games where it nearly appeared like the GI was out.

I have even found frosted to be "spotlighty". This is more apparent when you are further away from the machine. It appears more light is concentrated out of the tip in a beam then elsewhere.

Must have been some garbage LEDs you had.

Even the .26 cent frosted single from Pinball Life put out a plenty of light. No mistaking those for being out, lol.

abl_bayonet_frosted.jpgabl_bayonet_frosted.jpg

8MM-LED-2T.jpg8MM-LED-2T.jpg
#32 9 years ago

+1 frosted should sure help

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Kholmes:

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate it. Butterflygirl24, I ordered the frosted cool white 44 bulbs earlier today from Cointaker. I am hoping this does the trick.
Zizzlemeplease, I have never heard of the diffuser sheet. I'm assuming you can get it at Lowes/Home Depot? Others had ideas for the white poster board as well, which may get rid of those spots. I hope it works. I work nights, so I will not be able to get back to everyone until this evening.
Spitfiren8, I didn't try to sand them. I ended up using the bulbs on the PF. Thanks though.

*Cool* white is a mistake here. The translite colors have a lot of brown/orange in them. Cool LEDs are *blue-white*. That will kill the colors. You need really *warm* LEDs to bring out the colors and not make it look 'off.' (Another related example: LOTR has warm/earthy colors on the translite--the stock 'cool' fluorescent bulb kills the color scheme, but an orange-film 'warming' filter over the bulb makes it look 100% nicer.)

#34 9 years ago

I dont think the issue is the leds I think a bad remake of the translight which I just delt with also . If you can post a pic of the back of the translight from farther away that be great ? Thax

#35 9 years ago

Ok, when I get home I will do that. I even put a piece of white paper behind it to try and diffuse the light, which helped slightly. I believe tomorrow I should have the frosted bulbs, we shall see if that helps too. Thanks.

#36 9 years ago

Thanks for the help everyone, I placed a white thicker sheet of paper behind the translite, and just got my frosted LEDS from Cointaker. Issue has been resolved, it's amazing with some help everyone and their ideas. I appreciate it. Game looks great. I will post a pic if anyone cares to see it. Thanks again.

#37 9 years ago

frosted ones for sure are the best way to go on translites. yes post a picture for everyone.

#38 9 years ago

If those are clear domed bulbs ya can pull the caps off too. The normal supers look pretty good on translights.. Hard to say what ya got without seeing the bulb though

#39 9 years ago

I put some Pinball Life Ablaze LEDs in my Getaway translight and at first they looked great, now I can see a slight flicker through the translight. Is it just the type of lamp I used that is making this flicker? Put the same type in my JD translight and no flicker. Guess I should change to frosted but what a waste of money.

#40 9 years ago

Yuriijos, go with the frosted LEDS. It makes a huge difference. Trust me, as you can see from the above posts, it's amazing. There are no more circles from behind the translite, and it looks normal. I will post a pic tomorrow am.

#41 9 years ago

Here it is, I put the Cointaker frosted LEDS and a thick sheet of white paper behind the translate. It came out awesome. I even used the cool white frosted LEDS. Take a look.pic 1.jpgpic 1.jpgpic 2.jpgpic 2.jpg

#42 9 years ago

Looks great
flip.gifflip.gif

#43 9 years ago

Thank you, I love it now. Makes the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/translite-installed-leds-and-you-see-every-led and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.