Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by _litz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Is there a substitute for an sgs122 transistor on my Data East CPU board? Can I use a tip122?

#2 9 years ago

Which specific transistor (the Q number on the board) and you replacing?

Marc

#3 9 years ago

Q45
This is for a Tales from the Crypt.

#4 9 years ago

According to the schematic in the manual, Q45 is a TIP122. If you don't have a TIP122 handy, replace that with a TIP102.

Marc

#5 9 years ago

I have both of those. I'll give it a try. Thanks! Can you tell me on which page in the manual you found that?

#6 9 years ago

Page 71. Top right side is a bank of driver transistors.

I assume you're replacing a shorter transistor?

Marc

#7 9 years ago

I thought I was. But it didn't help. My ball release coil won't fire. With the game on, even when I ground the transistor, I get nothing. I don't even get a spark, so I don't know whether to go upstream or down. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

#8 9 years ago

Did you check to see if the transistor was bad first?

#9 9 years ago

I checked it while it was on the board and it seemed to be ok. However, grounding it didn't fire the coil. I took it off to test it off of the board and while doing to, on of the legs broke. I replaced it with a tip122 and the coil still doesn't work.

#10 9 years ago

Grounding the tab gives a direct path to ground. If the coil does not fire there is a wiring/connector issue or the coil isnt hot.

#11 9 years ago

There is continuity from the transistor to the coil. This is a machine I picked up that needs a lot of work. I had to replace the same coil because it was locked on and went bad. After replacing it and working on some other things, they coil worked fine until last night. I assume there is something bad before the transistor. Any ideas on where I should look first?

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

There is continuity from the transistor to the coil. This is a machine I picked up that needs a lot of work. I had to replace the same coil because it was locked on and went bad. After replacing it and working on some other things, they coil worked fine until last night. I assume there is something bad before the transistor. Any ideas on where I should look first?

Then the coil is not hot or it is open. Measure for DC voltage at both lugs of the coil. If DC is only on one lug of the solenoid, than your solenoid is OPEN (winding broke likely at the solder lug).

#13 9 years ago

I get 41.2 volts on each lug.

#14 9 years ago

Something is not adding up. Is your backbox and cab grounds at different potentials?

How about ground right at the solenoid lug using a known good ground, like the ground braid in the cab.

#15 9 years ago

This is fixed. Thanks for all of your input. There were some bad connection on the PPB board.

But now there's a new problem. When some of the flasher solenoids fire, they fire solenoids too. From what I've read, this may be a bad relay. Any thoughts?

#16 9 years ago

That's the overlay relay (on WMS sys11 games, it's the "A/C Select", DE has a similar function relay).

Basically, you take a bunch of solenoid outputs, and you either energize a solenoid power line, or a flasher power line.

Therefore, you can fire the driver output, and depending on the relay settings, it fires either solenoid or flasher.

When you get solenoids firing when flashers should be, it means the relay isn't engaging and switching over to flashlamps enabled.

Check that it's working, reflow the solder points to it, et al.

#17 9 years ago

Thanks. I've reflowed all of the solder points. How can I "check that it's working"?

#18 9 years ago

There should be a selection for the relay in the solenoid test. It should click when that driver fires.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

There were some bad connection on the PPB board.

Did you not connect something

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Did you not connect something

Ha! No. The solder joints were really bad.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from _litz:

There should be a selection for the relay in the solenoid test. It should click when that driver fires.

I don't see one. There's a test for the GI relay.

#22 9 years ago

Hmm ... well, backtrace the wiring ... should be listed in the manual.

#23 9 years ago

I tested the relay by grounding Q29 while the power was on. The relay behaved as it should. So the relay is good and now I'm suspecting that it's the 4401 transistor ahead of Q29 or maybe the IC before that. Any thoughts?

#24 9 years ago

You can hit it with a logic probe and see that signal ...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 64.00
$ 18.95
$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transistor-substitute and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.