Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Mando
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

54B5DBA4-2E48-4C5A-9B00-68CBFDCCC8F4 (resized).jpeg
    D4BAAFB5-2901-4587-AD51-E404CFDDFBF1 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    9D68239B-8E3A-4725-A518-D9B24388C626 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 3 years ago

Does the ramp work correctly mechanically? Is it showing anything weird in the switch test? If it's getting hung up or a switch is causing the coil to repeatedly fire to get it raise/lower could be the culprit.

I'd check closely the lugs of the coil make sure nothing is shorting it out

What those dudes said about diodes

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

Ramps was working perfect we had dissambled and cleaned it . No switch errors so it knew it was closed .
    Trying to figure out how to properly test diodes .

It wouldn't show a switch error if it were rapidly firing. It's worth checking it out in switch test to just to make sure. Takes 30 seconds. Always worth just ruling things out as you try to find a problem.

Switch error reports don't always tell the whole story.

1 week later
    #25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

Yes correct one will be here Tuesday . Hopefully after replacing basically every unit in this circuit will be back and running .
    I was so careful to make sure Find the hot wire then somehow I did it backwards and didn’t check lol .grrrrrrr had been too long a day I guess .

Sometimes it's best to sleep on it.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

Well the “repair guy” just replaced the tip . It went again .. I replaced the TIP , Diode and pre-driver and it went immediately. Maybe I messed something up who knows . So I put a new TIP and then tried the dioded coil . In my haste I’d being bummed it failed
    The first try I had a brain fart and torched the entire circuit !!
    So I replaced every component in the circuit and this is where we stand .
    I will say I did find one flasher that was a weirdly close to touching some metal maybe somehow this was the cause but seems that would blow the flasher transistor . Never the less I moved that

It well could be a short like that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transistor-keeps-shorting?tu=CrazyLevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.