Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Homepin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TIPABC (resized).jpg
    IMG_9667 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9666 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9665 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9660 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9659 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9658 (resized).JPG
    fdgsdg (resized).png
    2018-12-03_09h22_39 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jethrop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I am looking to replace Q2 in a Gottlieb System 1 power supply. The parts list calls out MJE340K. I am trying to find out what the K suffix means. I have found lots of info on transistor coding, but nothing regarding the suffixes. I have access to an MJE340G but not sure if that is an acceptable replacement. I have also read the TIP85 is an acceptable substitute. But my question is....what does the suffix designate?

#4 5 years ago

Thank you for the explanation!!

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from noflip95:

Hello,
    Regarding the above answers about the suffix, I agree ... but on the other hand, on an original power supply for Gottlieb SYSTEM-1:
    Q2 is not a MJE340 but a TIP31C
    and if the package is similar (TO-220/TO-225), the characteristics are very differents.
    [quoted image]
    Check your board : if it's really an original power SYSTEM-1 from Gottlieb, Q2 can't be a MJE340.

Not only do I believe I have an original System-1 power supply from Gottlieb, but the service manual I have and the drawings and parts list (attached) show Q2 to be a MJE340K.

So you are saying I shouldn't use what my drawing shows?

Also, my mistake....I meant NTE85 not TIP85. Can I substitute TIP85 for 2N3416. All this electronics stuff has me rattled! Thanks for the help.

IMG_9658 (resized).JPGIMG_9658 (resized).JPGIMG_9659 (resized).JPGIMG_9659 (resized).JPGIMG_9660 (resized).JPGIMG_9660 (resized).JPG
    #8 5 years ago

Here is my board. CR10 is currently missing because I am replacing it.

IMG_9665 (resized).JPGIMG_9665 (resized).JPGIMG_9666 (resized).JPGIMG_9666 (resized).JPG

#10 5 years ago

Here is schematic showing the rest of the circuit. I see other resistors are different than other schematic versions (R16, R17). Now I have even more questions about substitutions. Are Q2 parts interchangeable....MJE340k vs TIP31c? Should I change resistors? Are there any other substitutions for Q3, 2N3416?

IMG_9667 (resized).JPGIMG_9667 (resized).JPG
    #12 5 years ago

I replaced Q2 with TIP31C and now have all correct nominal voltages! Thank you!!! So I will be powering up the rest of the game for the first time shortly.

#13 5 years ago

So I've connected the power supply to the CPU board and am following Clay's guide regarding powering up the game for the first time. I'm going to create a new topic about the problem I am now experiencing, and hope you can help me along there too. I think this thread is solved.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jethrop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transistor-coding-question?tu=jethrop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.