Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by underlord
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Just was looking for opinions/thoughts on the matter.

Transformers price has just plummeted, but Attack from Mars has held a high price.

When comparing the 2 games; play, theme and price. Would people prefer to own Transformers or Attack from Mars?

Note: Transformers is my favorite pin. Where I play pinball (not my home), they have an Attack from Mars…that I play all the time.

#2 9 years ago

I like AFM... haven't play Transformers much.
AFM for the humor and gameplay.
Transformers for the flashy plastic bling.

#3 9 years ago

For me, humor and character go a long way. AFM is one of the few pins that have it. I would much prefer an AFM.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

When comparing the 2 games; play, theme and price.

There is no comparison honestly.

#5 9 years ago

I traded my TFLE for an AFM….that said, I sold my AFM after about a month.

I vote for RFM!

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I traded my TFLE for an AFM….that said, I sold my AFM after about a month.
I vote for RFM!

How did you make out price wise?

Today, it would be a blood bath with TF.

#7 9 years ago

AFM all that needs to be said !!!

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

How did you make out price wise?
Today, it would be a blood bath with TF.

Even trade. It was early in TF's life and AFM hadn't gone apeshit in price yet.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Even trade. It was early in TF's life and AFM hadn't gone apeshit in price yet.

Wow, what a great move on your part.

#10 9 years ago

Personally it's a toss up for me...AFM is pretty basic on rules while TF is "deeper". TF is more wood choppy though and that Ironhide PF, uggghhh! I don't like the art on AFM at all, but TF art is ok. AFM shoots better/smoother. For TF at $4k, much better than AFM at whatever the hell it is at now.

#11 9 years ago

Between the two, it's totally personal preference. TF is sort of a typical Gomez fan game, which if you like that sort of thing - and a lot of people do for good reason - I think it's great for what it is. There is a lot going on, and the newer rules make things at least decently obtainable. It's a little busy feeling, but the LE does really feel like stuff is going on everywhere.

AFM is a classic for a reason, but it's bill of materials had to be almost non-existent, and that turns some people off. I think it's fun, but it isn't a game that I have ever felt compelled to keep playing over and over. That said...

Me too.

#13 9 years ago

I love AFM but at the prices each go for TF might be more worthwhile. If AFM's price came down a bit I'd say it's superior for sure.

#14 9 years ago

At some point I'll buy a nice Transformers Pro. I don't think I'll ever own an AFM. So I guess that expresses my opinion. They are both good games, but one is a way better value.

#15 9 years ago

TFLE is a great game I recently rediscovered. As many TF's as you see on location and in pinhead's homes, Stern must have made a lot of them. Have never heard any reliable guesses on the quantities of each; sure would like to be in the know. It was the first time Stern offered three versions of an LE's - probably to justify slowly increasing quantities of what constitutes an LE today. I do remember them selling slowly and every distributor sat on piles of unsold LE's and pro's. Eventually the code dropped and it seems like things starting moving again with sustained demand for the title. It probably took a year but distributors sold out. Today TFLE or TF can both be found at good prices.

AFM on the other hand would be my final answer though - get your hands off me, you green martian! It plays smoothly, has good modes and many mortals have gotten to the final battle. Ruling the Universe is another matter though and can be quite righteous.

In summary - wait until you can get an AFM. Ooorrrrr... you could buy TF now, while you save up for the difference. Say this time next year, sell TF and adding to your savings, you can go out and buy that AFM you so richly deserve. win / win.

#16 9 years ago

I'd go with a slight favor to TF LE......I really enjoy the shots, the rules, the theme of that game. AFM is a game I will eventually get, but TF is really fun

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I'd go with a slight favor to TF LE......I really enjoy the shots, the rules, the theme of that game. AFM is a game I will eventually get, but TF is really fun

TFLE is awful. The ramps are ruined by the stupid mini playfields they threw In. AFM destroys TF hence the major price difference. If money is an issue buy a TF Pro. If it isn't get a AFM it's by far the better game.

#18 9 years ago

TFLE is amazing... Very very good game...

#19 9 years ago

I prefer Transformers over Attack from Mars, but Attack from Mars is still great.

#20 9 years ago

Interesting comparison. I really enjoy AFM when I play it but I don't think I would want to own one. The one at our local classic arcade is extremely nice and I get bored of it after about 20 minutes and two or three games. I have not played a ton of TF but I really like the shots and flow of it (Pro), but I don't know enough about the rules set to give it the nod.

Assuming this is bizarro world and they were both the same price I would go for AFM for the humor alone. That said I still like RfM a bit more.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

AFM is a classic for a reason, but it's bill of materials had to be almost non-existent, and that turns some people off.

I've never understood this line of thought. I can't play a BOM. If I see a great film made on a shoestring budget, it might impress me or it might not, but the film remains great. It certainly wouldn't make me enjoy the film less.

A fun game is a fun game. I don't feel slighted if the manufacturer was able to pull it off cheaply.

#22 9 years ago

Oh, and to answer the OP's question, AFM by a mile. This is like Muhammad Ali vs. Steve Urkel.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I've never understood this line of thought. I can't play a BOM. If I see a great film made on a shoestring budget, it might impresses me or it might not, but the film remains great. It certainly wouldn't make me enjoy the film less.
A fun game is a fun game. I don't feel slighted if the manufacturer was able to pull it off cheaply.

Clerks

#24 9 years ago

I don't feel like this is even a valid comparison....

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Oh, and to answer the OP's question, AFM by a mile. This is like Muhammad Ali vs. Steve Urkel.

Urkel would win.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I prefer Transformers over Attack from Mars, but Attack from Mars is still great.

Ok why the poll then? Just go buy a TF Pro and save yourself a few grand.

#27 9 years ago

I already have transformers.

Just looking for other opinions.

#28 9 years ago

TFLE all the way!

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I already have Transformers.
Just looking for other opinions.

Pinside rankings:

AFM #3 over 1100 people rated.

TFLE #59 200+ people rated.

Seems pretty obvious

#30 9 years ago

Xformers is one of the clunkier of the new Sterns. AFM is miles better in pretty much every way.

Except it doesn't have transformers on it, which I guess is only a problem if you really like transformers.

#31 9 years ago

Clunky is not how I would describe my transformers. Mod the all spark with foam to deaden the shot and remove the gate from ironhide if you want. I prefer the gate those to slow multi balls some.

#32 9 years ago

Hands down....AMF..............Joey

#33 9 years ago

AFM > TF. And I love TF. When your maxing out both games, they are very comparable. TFLE at its very best, in the moment, is as good as anything. But for me, TF had just enough imperfections to put me off long term. AFM has none that come to mind. Difference between good and classic.

#35 9 years ago

I'm shocked Amazon hasn't lowered their price yet.

#36 9 years ago

I prefer TFLE over AFM for the cost. If they were the same price or within $1K of each other I would lean towards AFM due to the humor.

Can we all stop saying "take a bath on TFLE"? The loss people would take on TFLE is less than it would be for all newer LE Sterns than Tron LE and AC/DC LE. I got my TFLE brand spanking new for $5400 shipped, so that's basically $5K for the machine. I'm sure I could sell it between $4k and $4.5K if I didn't need it sold in a day. That's basically at most a $1.4K loss over 2 years of ownership if you include shipping in that cost which is about the same $$$ you see people taking a hit on for nearly all other pins. When you see one sell for low $4k you have to remember nobody paid $7K plus for their TFLE.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

TFLE still hasn't sold out
amazon.com link »

None of the recent LEs have. Except maybe Tron and ACDC...but I'll bet ere are distros that have them too. Automated has a stack of MET, and probably every other LE out there.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

None of the recent LEs have. Except maybe Tron and ACDC...but I'll bet ere are distros that have them too. Automated has a stack of MET, and probably every other LE out there.

ACDC, Tron and Metallica are the only recent LE's that sell for more then what you could get them for new. Even people that moved their MetLE's still should have come out ahead.

#39 9 years ago

It looks like the Star Trek LEs are getting closer to being sold out. I see automated is out of them. If they truly are the largest supplier in the country, then that is saying something.

#40 9 years ago

AFM all day. Price is not the issue between these titles.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

ACDC, Tron and Metallica are the only recent LE's that sell for more then what you could get them for new. Even people that moved their MetLE's still should have come out ahead.

I don't see this with MET LE at all. Even modded, HUO is selling for same as nib?

#42 9 years ago

Transformers is a total turd. I played a dozen games on it when it was on route locally, and I had no desire to play more. AFM? Can't get enough. I'd love to own one.

#43 9 years ago

Afm is one of my 3 favorite games but dollar for dollar, there is more game to be had with TF. I would go pro over LE, though. Iron Hide mini PF is no fun.

2 weeks later
#44 9 years ago

I prefer my TF LE over any game. For some reason it is my fav machine to play. Maybe becuase the theme brings back memories but it would be the last machine to leave my house.

#45 9 years ago

I just wish I could complete more of the modes in a single game. Maybe its time I take it off default settings and look for some cheap wins.

#46 9 years ago

I have an AFM and TF pro
I play my TF pro more than my AFM

#47 9 years ago

AFM is the less risky financially. TF will probably to continue to go down for the next few years. AFM will probably go down if they do a remake *and* if the remakes live up the feel of the originals.

#48 9 years ago

I think TF bottomed out but what do I know Doesn't matter to me cause I'm not selling. It's my wife's favorite and I thoroughly enjoy it.

#49 9 years ago

Comparing a Ferrari to a Yugo here.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

Comparing a Ferrari to a Yugo here.

Not nice saying something like that about AFM

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

16,500 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 37.50
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transformers-vs-attack-from-mars/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.