20230411_194930 (resized).jpg
IMG_0343 (resized).JPG
IMG_0342 (resized).JPG
IMG_0341 (resized).JPG
IMG_0335 (resized).JPG
IMG_0333 (resized).JPG
IMG_0237 (resized).JPG
IMG_0235 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FiatsRUs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 5 years ago

Still no insight into schematics and board layout? Has anyone ever contacted Stern to see if they have any to share? They have to exist somewhere. I am picking up a non-working Transformers The Pin today and I can't find anything on the internet in the way of help to troubleshoot issues.

#21 5 years ago

I got The Pin working so it plays great (bad Cat 5 cable connection from the MPU to the node board resulting in an "I/O Error" message at boot-up), but I had no GI lights. That was due to no 6 vdc at the node board (there is only one on this machine). As nearly as I can tell, it is very difficult, if not impossible, for an enthusiast to repair the boards as there are no available schematics and the components are surface-mounted. From what I can gather, the Spike system power supply transforms and rectifies 120 vac into 48 vdc which is then sent to the mpu and the node board(s) to be further transformed and regulated to the necessary dc voltages (24, 12 and 6, I believe). With my node board, the 6 vdc for the GI didn't work.

I checked Marco, Pinballlife and Stern. Nobody has the board I need (520-5321-00 Rev C). Stern said they have committed orders from distributors which I take to mean they may or may not have more made. It seems that they really want the whole "The Pin Thing" to go away. Stern also told me that they have no schematics for the node boards (Bullshot! How did they design the boards to subsequently have them produced by a third party?).

In the end, I did a hack for the GI (which is completely on one circuit) wherein I wired a PC power supply to the on/off switch, modified it to start when the a/c voltage was present, and connected the 5 vdc output to the GI circuit. I mounted and firmly attached the ps box to the wooden crossmember at the bottom center on the inside of the cabinet. If you didn't know about the hack, you wouldn't know the game isn't functioning as it should from the factory. It boots normally, the GI lights immediately and it plays great. All will be good until the node board eventually shoots craps completely after which time The Pin will be a 150 lb paperweight due to a lack of a replacement board. What a shame.

BTW, the game is actually very fun. I have had 50 or so other commercial machines, and this one certainly plays better than the early SS games and many of the late 80s games. It doesn't have any ramps or habitrails, but instead has a variety of lanes to shoot and a 3-ball multi-ball. Not a bad pin if you can pick one up for $1500 or less, with the wild assumption that you will be able to keep it running! In my opinion, it was a good idea killed by a bad retail price point, poor execution and a total lack of support.

P.S. The game can be serviced from underneath by removing six screws and a piece of hardboard to gain access. The PF doesn't lift to allow access while standing (presumably, it was to be so reliable that it would never need service?). The whole process is akin to lying underneath a car while alternatively swearing and drinking beer; and occasionally turning a wrench.

(The green painter's tape in the pics is to hold the translite in place until the on-order tempered glass is done. It was broken by the previous owner.)

IMG_0235 (resized).JPGIMG_0235 (resized).JPG
IMG_0237 (resized).JPGIMG_0237 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#22 5 years ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

In the end, I did a hack for the GI..... The green painter's tape in the pics is to hold the translite in place until the on-order tempered glass is done. It was broken by the previous owner.

A fellow Pinsider sold me a spare node board that he had. I installed it and everything works perfectly. All hacks have been removed and the translite now has a new piece of tempered glass holding it in place. It plays great and is a fun game. Top 100? Clearly not, but still an entertaining pin and a very unique addition to a collection.

I am going to redo some of the factory lighting as there is way too much red. The center area near the pop bumpers should be purple along with the two lights on either side of Megatron. Also, Megatron would be cool with a purple spotlight to highlight it and the lower PF could use a couple of spotlights for additional illumination. A very neat bargain game (purchased used, not new!).

IMG_0333 (resized).JPGIMG_0333 (resized).JPG

IMG_0335 (resized).JPGIMG_0335 (resized).JPG

#23 5 years ago

I added a cabinet speaker to my Transformers The Pin. I used an 8 inch speaker from my X-Men (I put in a woofer with a crossover in that one) and wired it to the right channel on the MPU in the backbox. I placed connectors in both the head unit (to allow for future removal) and in the cabinet (to allow for removal of the access panel for servicing). Note that the left and right channel connections on the mpu had output, but there was none for the center channel. I think a next step would be an L-pad on the back-box speaker to better balance the sound (more is needed in the cabinet). Additionally, a crossover on the 8-incher might be a nice addition to get it to really rumble.

To service these pins, you have to tip it up on its back and remove a one-piece hardboard panel to get at the underside of the playfield. I cut the panel in half to allow for easier removal and I replaced the wood screws used at the center mounting location (there is a wood crossmember in center of the cabinet) and replaced them with #6 machine screws and t-nuts.

IMG_0341 (resized).JPGIMG_0341 (resized).JPG

IMG_0342 (resized).JPGIMG_0342 (resized).JPG

IMG_0343 (resized).JPGIMG_0343 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FiatsRUs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transformers-the-pin?tu=FiatsRUs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.