(Topic ID: 174081)

Transformers Problems

By GotAQuestion

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hello all! A transformers local to me has a couple of weird issues and I was wondering if I could get some ideas for sorting it out. Unfortunately, as I mentioned it's a location game so coming up with useful pictures will be tough. I'm in the process of meeting the business owner to figure out who owns the games themselves so I can see if THAT person even cares enough to try and fix it.

Problems:

1) I am almost certain the game has the issue described in this video: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transformers-le-problem-fourth-ball-does-not-go-in-megatron

As such, assuming the owner cares, I'll work with them to update the code and add the washers, as well as check the pitch of the playfield.

2) The game will serve 2 balls to the shooter lane fairly frequently. I have absolutely NO idea why it would be doing this. My immediate guess is that there are too many balls in the game? Additionally, it will sometimes serve no ball at all. Then it just sits and ball searches for a couple minutes and sometimes decides to eject a "new" ball. Other times it'll just count it as a drain.

Thanks for any thoughts, and I wish I could provide more complete info immediately. There's just very, very little pinball in my city and I'd like to help get one of the six machines around fixed. I feel like pinball would pick up around here, if anything didn't provide new players with bad experiences.

#2 7 years ago

I service a Pro version in a local theater. I've added the washers on this one plus replaced the ball trough opto boards. Also I've updated the code.

Usually when it spits out more than one ball, the infrared LED ball trough board has a bad LED or else the delicate foil traces are broken. Sometimes the connector on this board works loose and you just have to reseat it. Mine came loose so many times that I ended up using some wire ties to hold the connector onto the board.

#3 7 years ago

Hoping it's just a loose connector. I assume broken foil traces would require a board replacement?

#4 7 years ago

If you suspect broken foil traces, just replace that LED board. It's cheap like only $15 to buy it. It's the one closest to the coil on the trough assembly.

#5 7 years ago

Re-seat the through connectors. I've had that happen on several of my Sterns and that has fixed them all.

For Megatron. It's fed via gravity. First question, how clean is the machine and the balls? If the game is dirty and the balls need to be replaced doing both may fix the problem as it will make them less sticky. First thing they could try would be checking the pitch. If you increase the pitch it will make this worse (the megaton through goes opposite of the angle of the PF). If you go much passed the recommended 6.5 degrees that is where the washers come in to play.

#6 7 years ago

I'll definitely check the ball quality and pitch after updating the code. I'm sure that's out of date. Playfield would probably use a cleaning too...

Edit: I found the board if it needs replacement. Dual Opto Transmitter #515-0173-00.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Re-seat the through connectors. I've had that happen on several of my Sterns and that has fixed them all.
For Megatron. It's fed via gravity. First question, how clean is the machine and the balls? If the game is dirty and the balls need to be replaced doing both may fix the problem as it will make them less sticky. First thing they could try would be checking the pitch. If you increase the pitch it will make this worse (the megaton through goes opposite of the angle of the PF). If you go much passed the recommended 6.5 degrees that is where the washers come in to play.

Remember that Megatron has a ball trough.. Most of our ball issues with Transformers came from there. Dirty optos or loose connectors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transformers-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.