Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by hank527
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2011-12-16_08-03-25_324.jpg
    2011-12-16_08-03-17_899.jpg
    2011-12-16_08-02-46_642.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

I got my new mini playfield last night from Stern and installed it seems to be working much better. Stern didn't send me any instructions so I thought I'd give a little synopsis.

There are three nuts holding the mini playfield in on the underside of the playfield. I thought it should be an easy disconnect four connectors and remove nuts and your done. I was wrong!

First, I disconnected the connectors. There is one very thin ribbon cable that goes through the backboard to a mini circuit board behind the backboard and 3 molex connectors under the playfield for the 2 coils moving the playfield and the gate coil. I then unscrewed the three nuts holding the mini to the main playfield. There was a plastic underneath the mini that comes around the right side. The Plastic looks like a monkey wrench, one extremely thin arm going in front of the playfield about 6-7mm and the thicker part under the mini playfield. There are 2 screws that hold this plastic on. The problem was one was directly under the right ramp. I had to partially remove the right ramp to get to the screw. I removed 2 screws from the upper part of the ramp and loosened 2 towards the front of the upper portion. Removed the plastic and that I was clear until I released that the mini was not moving upwards.

Well, the right side ball guide rail for the bumblebee area covers over the hole where the left mini playfield coil goes through. I unscrewed the plastic that goes over the bumblebee car/ball/target. There is a cable tie that holds the plastic to the guide rail. I left it alone. I unscrewed the guide rail and was able to slide the mini out and put the new one in. Reassembled everything, plugged in connectors and everything worked. It was nice to finally see the ball actually moving around the mini.

Took about a little over an hour to do it. I didn't take any pics while I was doing it (which was actually stupid but I didn't have any left over screws). I'll take a picture of the old mini playfield assembly before I send it back to Stern and post them here.

I hope this helps anyone out that may need to shop out the pin in the future.

Tom.

#2 12 years ago

Glad you finally got the new one and it's great to hear it works better now. I can't wait to come check it out.

Sorry it ended up being such a pain to swap. Don't you love it when something looks like it will be simple and the further you dig the more you have to pull off? Gotta love pinball!

#3 12 years ago

Thanks for the update Tom! Enjoy the mini playfield finally. It's not that great yet, but I did find it a little more fun setting difficulty up to medium and lowering the special award to 25k with an extra ball for special.

#4 12 years ago

I would like to know how the dam thing works!!!! lol typical Stern not telling the player what to do.... When the ball is in the mini playfield and goes towards the top, nothing happens, no switches work... its only when the ball is towards the bottom... Any ideas???

#5 12 years ago

It has three proximity optos up the center of the playfield. What it does from there I have no idea. It has potential for some cool software magic if Stern chooses to do so.

The problem I had with mine was it was rubbing the back board behind the main playfield and was slow to move until I bent the back board a little from the mini playfield. Now it's nice and strong going back and forth.

My first issue with it was it would just trap the ball and sit there until ball search would release it. It ended up being the right ramp entrance switch arm came off the ball swing lever. It came from the factory this way.

#6 12 years ago

Does it look different than the stock one?

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

I would like to know how the dam thing works!!!! lol typical Stern not telling the player what to do.... When the ball is in the mini playfield and goes towards the top, nothing happens, no switches work... its only when the ball is towards the bottom... Any ideas???

I get the most 'hits' from the optos when I get the ball near the top then stop moving the playfield, then go back and forth again just before it gets to the bottom. It seems to register more hits when I'm not swinging the playfield. Think the most pts I got so far is 26 or 27k, except for the 50k I got once during double scoring

#8 12 years ago

Does the assembly come with Ironhide attached? Or do you have to reattach your existing figure? Just curious.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Does it look different than the stock one?

Same one.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Does the assembly come with Ironhide attached? Or do you have to reattach your existing figure? Just curious.

Came with Ironhide attached.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Totally agree. I'm still not sure whether or not mine is functioning properly. Most of the time it lays at the bottom of the "V" and I jiggle it back and forth with no apparent scoring involved. Occasionally it will wiggle upwards and pick up a few points. Megatron canon is WAY higher on the fun scale!

#12 12 years ago

Wait for the code update the mini playfeild will be alot more fun

#13 12 years ago

I have stopped using it all together.... Just a dam waste of time... Could be so much better

#14 12 years ago

I think mine works well. One thing I learned and have mentioned before your pitch has to be set well and when your in the mini PF mode I see some hitting the flippers fast on videos. I find that hitting them slow. Left right left right.. like a drum beat will get the ball going back and forth and travel forward or up. I actually think its cool.

#15 12 years ago

Yeah but when it gets half way up or above, none of the switches work and the ball is going side to side and scoring nothing.....

#16 12 years ago

You kind of wonder what the inspiration was for this thing - it's like a test of your rythm (I guess) more than anything - an unusual skill set to draw from for pinball. Hopefully, it really is a work in progress...

#17 12 years ago

I agree that it needs some code work. But, if you set the difficulty to medium or hard and lower the point value of the special to 25-30k and award an extra ball for special you will appreciate it more. With these settings you actually have something to work for. the default settings makes it a complete waste of space.

As for scoring, it's pretty much like coasterguy said, don't flail on the flippers. Also, I seem to get the most points when I stop beating on the flipper buttons for a split second when the ball is high.

#18 12 years ago

I only took a couple of pics. I had a busy day yesterday.

Tom.

2011-12-16_08-02-46_642.jpg2011-12-16_08-02-46_642.jpg 2011-12-16_08-03-17_899.jpg2011-12-16_08-03-17_899.jpg 2011-12-16_08-03-25_324.jpg2011-12-16_08-03-25_324.jpg

#19 12 years ago

For those who think mini play field is weak... Try changing the rubbers. I switched the weak, slinky Stern rubbers with some black Harp slingshot rubbers and what a difference.

#20 12 years ago

Hi TF-Friends I hope you can help me.
    Yesterday I got my Transformers LE. Awesome machine but my miniplayfield in game is totally without power. I don't think it has to do with the rubbers because the coils seems not to work correctly in the game. In the coil test modus the coils seems to work much stronger but in the game not 20% from the test power.
    Tom, I did not notice what was wrong on your mini-playfield - the same problem?
    Do anyone of you have a tip for me? Thank you so much!!!

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinball-fan2002:

Hi TF-Friends I hope you can help me.
    Yesterday I got my Transformers LE. Awesome machine but my miniplayfield in game is totally without power. I don't think it has to do with the rubbers because the coils seems not to work correctly in the game. In the coil test modus the coils seems to work much stronger but in the game not 20% from the test power.
    Tom, I did not notice what was wrong on your mini-playfield - the same problem?
    Do anyone of you have a tip for me? Thank you so much!!!

My orginal problem was that the left flipper button would move the playfield but very sluggish with the right. Coils seemed ok in test mode. After emailing Stern about the problem and some video footage, they sent me a new one. I was also having problems where the ball would hit the underside of the mini. I think it might have been set too low or maybe not manufactored correctly. Not quite sure. It seems to be working right with the new mini in the game.

#22 12 years ago

Glad it is better Tom. What a cool machine this is right?

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

Glad it is better Tom. What a cool machine this is right?

It's a great game IMHO.

#24 12 years ago

Hi Tom, thank you so much for your quick answer.
    Exactly that is my problem. It's totally sluggish in the game but in the right and left direction.
    In the test mode the coils are ok.
    So it seems I need a new one too.
    I hope Stern will answer me quickly!

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinball-fan2002:

Hi Tom, thank you so much for your quick answer.
    Exactly that is my problem. It's totally sluggish in the game but in the right and left direction.
    In the test mode the coils are ok.
    So it seems I need a new one too.
    I hope Stern will answer me quickly!

That was the exact same issue I was having until I noticed it was ever so slightly rubbing the main playfield back board. I bent the back board slightly away from Ironhide (about 2/16") and it works great now.

#26 12 years ago

Hi Tekman, thank you so much for your tip.
    I checked the back board and there is no contact between it and the miniplayfield.
    The coils seems totally without power - like the coil only would try with 20% power.

#27 12 years ago

I think it's really great that you have to tear apart a NIB game because they didn't iron out the kinks beforehand. *sarcasm off*

#28 12 years ago

I did contact Stern but no answer until now. Did anyone else?
    I think it would be good to show them that there is more than one machine with this problem.

4 months later
    #29 11 years ago

I just got my Premium and coils are fine in test mode and weak during game play. On occasion the ball hits the bottom of it from the plunger. It seems it hits the plastic under it so slightly and does have a very slight rub against the back. I am shocked that the solution is an entire play field swap. If it works in test mode you would think it should work during the game or that Stern would send new coils and not an entire play field.

If they send the whole play field it must be a faulty board issue. Whats sad is they think our time to swap things out is not worth anything. I problematic part like this should be much easier to remove.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transformers-mini-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.