(Topic ID: 162885)

Transformers LE combo or Ghostbusters pro?

By Hollywoodbone

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160626_144004_resized_(resized).jpg
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago

It took Ghostbusters to give Transformers the love it finally deserves.

#52 7 years ago

I haven't played TFLE but I owned the pro for some time.
The kids and I enjoyed it while we had it and wouldn't mind another one down the track at the right price.
We have also spent many hours playing GB pro on location and we had heaps of fun playing it, so much so we have a prem on order.

#53 7 years ago

Whats the deal with the megatron drop? seems like its always down and rarely comes up...

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Whats the deal with the megatron drop? seems like its always down and rarely comes up...

If I remember correctly, it's more interactive on the second time thru of locking balls or if you make the settle harder.

#55 7 years ago

As for TFLE, I will never own one again. The ironhide pf is the worse thing ever created...and I like pinball! The star scream is cool, really cool actually; but rules integration for it fell short, very short. I'd go TF pro over TFLE and I've never even played the pro.

As for GB PRO; I only have a handful of games on it and I wasn't impressed. But what spoiled it for me the most was slimer registering only 25% of the time, rejected left ramp shots, and air balls that launched to the outlanes. So I'll hold final judgment til I play a better, more well tuned GB.

#56 7 years ago

because most of us have it turned off.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It took Ghostbusters to give Transformers the love it finally deserves.

That's funny. I was just thinking that.

Truely though TF is a great game that is so under appreciated. I get the issues with Iron Hide and some feeling the rules are long rather than deep, but the shots are so rewarding on the game and sound package they put together on this rivals everything.

The game looks great and the theme is well intigrated. TF was a winner of a pin that was under appreciated at launch (similar to Iron Man).

#58 7 years ago

I was not impressed with TF when I first played it. That was when I first got into pinball and since then my opinions have greatly changed. Need to give it another shot. If you can get them really cheap then that will make up for some short comings.

GB pro was the opposite. I loved it at first but then not so much after playing more games. Parts of the pro just don't work well at all. I love all the ingredients but it needs more time to cook. Maybe the premium will be better and Stern will fix issues like Slimer mech. I am going to wait and see. No rush.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I was not impressed with TF when I first played it. That was when I first got into pinball and since then my opinions have greatly changed. Need to give it another shot. If you can get them really cheap then that will make up for some short comings.
GB pro was the opposite. I loved it at first but then not so much after playing more games. Parts of the pro just don't work well at all. I love all the ingredients but it needs more time to cook. Maybe the premium will be better and Stern will fix issues like Slimer mech. I am going to wait and see. No rush.

I think gb sits on such a pedestal now because of that damn song...it's just so uplifting

I remember years ago with that guy who made the ghostbusters retheme and all the youtube comments were folks offering to buy it.

#60 7 years ago

The sound package and quality in TF is one of sterns best.

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The sound package and quality in TF is one of sterns best.

Like the speckled powder coated armor also. I have the combo TF is the Autobots and Decepticons the same?

#63 7 years ago

Automated still has some TFLE's NIB $5900-$6500 shipped. Less to a lot less than a Prem NIB. Interesting.

http://pinballstore.tripod.com/Transformers.html

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Automated still has some TFLE's NIB $5900-$6500 shipped. Less to a lot less than a Prem NIB. Interesting.

Yea, they had a blow out sale in early 2015 of combos for $5,400 shipped. Was a phenomenal deal and didn't last long.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The ironhide pf is the worse thing ever created...and I like pinball!

It REALLY is...it so totally is. The funny thing is when that bullshit starts going, I just stop playing...I just wait for it to be over. This is the last feature in a game I remember being like this until the "vid mode" in GB...It's so awful.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

But what spoiled it for me the most was slimer registering only 25% of the time,

Lest we not forget Optimus Prime...the original shitty Slimer

#66 7 years ago

Are you guys punking the OP or something? There's a reason why you can still get a TFLE NIB. It's a dog. Hit the same shot over and over and over to start a mode that has you hitting that same shot some more. It has possibly, no definitely, the worst mini-playfield in pinball, and Optimus Prime is clunky piece of garbage. The game almost works, but the rules are awful and it has some insanely long ball times. I hate when that game comes up in league nights, because it causes such a massive backlog behind it.

The layout is a bit half-baked, but there are some decent shots on the game. Better code could have helped, but as it is, it's the very definition of chopping wood.

Why can't the choice here be like GoT Pro vs. GB Pro? I would take TFLE off the board and replace it with a better option. Before looking at TFLE, I would run through Metallica, Mustang, Iron Man, Game of Thrones, Star Trek, or The Walking Dead pros if you're looking for a Stern. If you're open to older games, the price of the TFLE buys you a lot of better games.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Why can't the choice here be like GoT Pro vs. GB Pro?

Because that's what the OP is asking. He didn't ask you aboot other games, so changing HIS question to what YOU want to talk aboot it a little bit of a dick move. Of course, I understand what you're trying to do; basically give him an intervention from this totally crappy game

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Because that's what the OP is asking. He didn't ask you aboot other games, so changing HIS question to what YOU want to talk aboot it a little bit of a dick move. Of course, I understand what you're trying to do; basically give him an intervention from this totally crappy game

I only asked because people were mentioning cost so often that I thought he was considering TFLE because of the ability to get it in that $4500-$5500 range. So if cost was a big part of things, I'd say go pro on a better game for the same cost.

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'd say go pro on a better game for the same cost.

but what about the signed certificate of authority, powder coated armor, signed playfield & limited production you would be missing out on?

#70 7 years ago

The mirrored backglass of the TFLE combo looks superb. It's also a real backglass unlike the more recent sterns that just used mirrored paint on a translight...

#71 7 years ago

but what about the signed certificate of authority, powder coated armor, signed playfield & limited production you would be missing out on?

Quoted from TigerLaw:

The mirrored backglass of the TFLE combo looks superb. It's also a real backglass unlike the more recent sterns that just used mirrored paint on a translight...

Lipstick on a pig

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

You must be thinking of another game, TFLE had a translite. Poorly printed and blurry, it was one of the things I disliked the most about my TFLE combo.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

You must be thinking of another game, TFLE had a translite. Poorly printed and blurry, it was one of the things I disliked the most about my TFLE combo.

Yeah, it's an ugly mess.

rd

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah, it's an ugly mess.
rd

Not to mention those QR codes in the corners on the translite that were supposed to unlock parts of the game. So many broken promises and outright lies from Stern on that title.

It wasn't a bad player if you like hitting the same shots over and over. The mini playfield was such a bad design idea. It is completely disconnected from the rest of the gameplay. Most atrocious of all was the fake Optimus Prime voice actor. All together a horrible game if you are a fan of the franchise it is based off of.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

All together a horrible game if you are a fan of the franchise it is based off of.

Ah yes the universally loved Transformers movies.

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Lipstick on a pig

Quoted from metahugh:

Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah, it's an ugly mess.
rd

Decepticons are winning.....

Autobots, roll out!

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I know the artwork used on Megatron was blurry and not high res, but I thought the rest was good. I thought every game before Metallica used the real backglass in the LE, I had no idea that was a translight. Thanks for clarifying, that's interesting.

#78 7 years ago

The mini-play field has a specific use. Super spinner, super pops, and special are all activated by the Iron Hide mini-playfield. The Starscream hurry up is for an extra ball.

Maybe Transformers LE and Ghostbusters Pro is not a good comparison. Maybe Transformers LE vs Attack from Mars. Me personally, would take the $4,500 TFLE over the $8,000 Attack from Mars any day.

My collection includes: Star Trek LE, Iron Man VE, Spidey VE, Thrones LE, and Transformers LE. None of my non-pinhead friends dislike Transformers over the other games. They pretty much like them all equally, with Star Trek LE getting the slight edge over the others, and Iron Man being the slightly least liked due to the difficulty, but not by much. My pinhead friends like Star Trek LE the most.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I know the artwork used on Megatron was blurry and not high res, but I thought the rest was good. I thought every game before Metallica used the real backglass in the LE, I had no idea that was a translight. Thanks for clarifying, that's interesting.

Advertised as a backglass. Also advertised that all Autobot, Decepticon, and the first 125 Combo LEs playfields would be signed by Gomez. I have #410 and it's signed by Gomez...not that I'm complaining.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Maybe Transformers LE and Ghostbusters Pro is not a good comparison. Maybe Transformers LE vs Attack from Mars.

What?

#81 7 years ago

Transformers and Ghostbusters play vastly different from one another. Transformers and Attack From Mars play similar to one another.

#82 7 years ago

How about Walking Dead vs Ghostbusters Pro?

TWD owns GB in every which way. That's the better comparison here. Finished code, better gameplay, and no dumb flipper gap meant to piss you off.

Although I have a GB LE on the way if I was comparing Pro models, TWD Pro over GB Pro hands down. I will be selling a machine soon to buy a TWD Prem or LE soon, its such a great game.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Transformers and Ghostbusters play vastly different from one another. Transformers and Attack From Mars play similar to one another.

Quoted from PerfectFlaw:

How about Walking Dead vs Ghostbusters Pro?

Not what the OP is asking...but whatever...I guess this thread is already a shit show

#84 7 years ago

Naw I'm not set on one or the other. There in the price range I'm looking at and both are availible from a guy I buy from and trust. Don't like to travel too far for my pins and scared to have any shipped! Into movie themes as well so both of these met that criteria as well

#85 7 years ago

But I do thank you TheLaw for keeping it rangled in

#86 7 years ago

I'm in the same predicament right now. There's a TF LE Combo up for sale right now and I'm in on a Gb Pro but these ridiculous waiting times (ordered first week of may). I would get a TF Pro in a heartbeat but there are none for sale. I'm considering getting the TFLE and then get GB Pro down the line HUO and save a few more bucks that way. Patience might actually benefit me in the long run. My only problem with TFLe is the ironhide thing-a-ma-jig....will it really destroy my love for the game or actually give me more time to control the balls in MB?

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I'm in the same predicament right now. There's a TF LE Combo up for sale right now and I'm in on a Gb Pro but these ridiculous waiting times (ordered first week of may). I would get a TF Pro in a heartbeat but there are none for sale. I'm considering getting the TFLE and then get GB Pro down the line HUO and save a few more bucks that way. Patience might actually benefit me in the long run. My only problem with TFLe is the ironhide thing-a-ma-jig....will it really destroy my love for the game or actually give me more time to control the balls in MB?

The back and forth iron hide rubber slings mode doesn't kick in too often. It is not like an unfun upper playfield where the ball gets stuck up there for 20 seconds all the time. It slows the ball slightly from getting back down to the right flipper though.

It may just depend on your cost of the local TF. I think TF has bottomed out in pricing with TAV and Xmen LEs getting $500-$1000 more in pricing. Not wanting to start a TF is better battle, but just comparing LE's. I know our friends from Canada get hit hard on pricing up there for NIB. I don't know the HUO market up there. GB Pro is a hard game playwise. It will be tougher than the GB Prem / LE when I played them all. I know some players will say it is not bad, but size up those folks to see how good of a player they are. My guess is the toughness of GB Pro will make some folks want to swap it out down the road for sure. If TF is reasonable then buy that and play your friend's GB for a little and see where you are at.

Also a bigger lcd screen is likely to be added to the next Stern and that may take some wind out of GB sales and HUO sales with speculation that SW is coming at the end of this year or next year. But I don't and no one really knows this. Just something to think about.

#88 7 years ago

If I was in your situation and you like TFLE get it used and wait on the GB. The uncertainty as to the final quality of a GB is too much of a risk.

#89 7 years ago

Having played both games a lot, do not make that mistake. Stick it out with GB and you'll be much happier. TFLE is not a good game. The price reflects that.

#90 7 years ago

Tfle is loaded mech wise...seems like it was a high cost game to build for stern, more so than stle for instance and definitely gb pro.
GB pro just felt like nothing was going on beyond Slimer on a crane like an air conditioner.

#91 7 years ago

Also, if you don't like TF, good luck selling it. There are tons available NIB at cheaper than original prices, so you'll have to discount it and take a loss. If you don't like GB, recouping the cost should be easier, as well as making for a faster sale. TFLE is just a bigger risk. Unless you can play both a lot and feel really good about the decision, don't make it yet.

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

TFLE is just a bigger risk

All depends on what you get it for. I don't think whoever bought the nicely modded TFLE at $4500 is taking much of a risk.

I think there is more risk in paying NIB prices for any newly released machine.

#93 7 years ago

Yeah I like TF pro so that's why I'm debating. TFLE is not a far stretch from the pro and GB is currently plagued with delays. And a new in box GB pro in Canada retails at $7K + taxes. In my case 13% so msrp after taxes is $7910 for a pro.

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Also, if you don't like TF, good luck selling it. There are tons available NIB at cheaper than original prices, so you'll have to discount it and take a loss. If you don't like GB, recouping the cost should be easier, as well as making for a faster sale. TFLE is just a bigger risk. Unless you can play both a lot and feel really good about the decision, don't make it yet.

If you buy a nib TF for $6000 yes. $4500 or under not too much risk of taking a huge hit there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 49.95
6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 103.00
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transformers-le-combo-or-ghostbusters-pro/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.