Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by goatdan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I know TF has not been holding its value well, and I know that's it's likely not going to be one of Stern's highly regarded titles. To that end, what should one expect to pay for a used one? Routed is fine as long as it is complete and not completely beat to sh**.

The reason I ask, is my 7 year old is a TF fanatic. He watches TF Prime, plays TF on the Xbox and DS, collects transformer action figures, etc. I have a few games I'm going to sell (TFTC, MSF and GL) and I thought about putting the funds from those three into a TF.

#2 9 years ago

We talking pro or LE? Oddly enough, I think Iv seen twice as many LEs for sale as Pros. Id say $4800-5100 for an LE, $3900 or so for a pro. But thats just an educated guess. Iv seen 1 or 2 LEs go here for around $4500 if I remember right.

But it may still be a little early before the dust settles. Also, I could be completely wrong.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

I think Iv seen....But thats just an educated guess....if I remember right....But it may still be a little early....Also, I could be completely wrong.

Way to commit

#4 9 years ago

It seems like the combo LE is the most desirable, and deals can be had on the Autobot/Decepticon dedicated machines. I haven't seen any prices lower than $4500 on an LE, so I think that is a good price. I have only put in a few games on TF, are the issues people have with it something that could be fixed by a software update?

#5 9 years ago

you caught what I was trying to do there! Honestly prices are all over the place with this one. I do know of a couple LEs that sold around the $4500 mark a few months back. But thats anecdotal and I can't confirm it as a solid price point

#6 9 years ago

I think $4500 sounds right for the LE's as I've seen several at that price. Oddly enough I haven't seen a pro for sale in a while but I think the $3900 to $4000 sounds about right for one in real nice shape.
I'm one of the few lovers of the game so am also probally the only one that is hoping they cont to fall a bit so that i can afford one this coming year. I'm saving my pennies for now. Good luck with your search.

Also, maybe ping the guy looking to trade his NIB TF. He may sell...

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Jake:

It seems like the combo LE is the most desirable, and deals can be had on the Autobot/Decepticon dedicated machines. I haven't seen any prices lower than $4500 on an LE, so I think that is a good price. I have only put in a few games on TF, are the issues people have with it something that could be fixed by a software update?

Why is the combo LE more desired? The backglass looks cluttered and there were 500 made compared to 125 of either of the others.

#8 9 years ago

Most people seem to like the artwork on the combo better than the dedicated version. Not my opinion, just what I hear.

#9 9 years ago

Actually really suprised we are agreeing on pricing so far on this. Im waiting for some TF owners to stumble in here and give us their opinion (Im sure its higher)

#10 9 years ago

buying a HUO with about 150 plays and some cointaker LEDs for 3800..pro

#11 9 years ago

A few TF LE have sold for 4200 - 4400. I cant imagine a pro for much more than 3500. There are QUITE a few LE for sale. Take your time and you can find a 4k LE out there. Sorry LE owners, you can thank Gorge Gomez for this masterpiece. One of the only titles in this white hot pinball market consistently going down.

#12 9 years ago

Yup. THANK GOD I sold my TF-LE for big money while I could (like 6k). I saw the writing on the wall....

It just was not 6k worth of fun at all in my opinion....

Now when you hand me a TF-LE for 4k, then we can talk because I believe they're worth about that.

#13 9 years ago

You are all on crack. The lowest price on an LE that I've seen has been $5100 and up. Anyone that is selling them for less is throwing money away or desperate for cash.

#14 9 years ago

Its impressive how low they have really gotten. All the early buyers dumping them because it was not what they expected is really killing the resale. Its a good, tough game, but yes needs a little more polish.

Now is a great time to be a TF buyer; I think the low price with distributors still sitting on inventory may put extra pressure on Stern to revisit the code to help sell some more.

Has anyone seen any distributor selling below cost yet? With low play HUO machines going for $4.5-5k, what's a NIB worth?

#15 9 years ago

Looks like Avatar LE actually approaching TF LE on price. or the other way around...

#16 9 years ago

TF-LE is miles above AVATURD!!! no comparison!!! I agree with many of the viewers here....It is a very difficult player and thus most average players get turned off due to the difficulty of completing modes. Your shots have to be most accurate and oh, those timed modes are challenging to complete.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

TF-LE is miles above AVATURD!!!

I have no opinion on the game, but every time I see the name Avaturd I chuckle.
That's funny right there...

I also like the prices on TF recently

#18 9 years ago

TF is a plowfest and priced to reflect that.

#19 9 years ago

Where is an LE for 4200? 5100 to 5300 all over the place but that is the best I ever saw.

#20 9 years ago

I still like TF. I may have one again someday.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I still like TF. I may have one again someday.

Says the guy that had 2 pass through his hands. I'll be in the market for a LE after Xmen (way after when the fund is back up) and would love to pick one up for 4-4.5K if that range holds on.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Why is the combo LE more desired? The backglass looks cluttered and there were 500 made compared to 125 of either of the others.

Put the flipper fidelty led kit in the back box & the translite looks awsome

#23 9 years ago

I play Iron man way more than TF:LE Dec number 69 of 125 I got a good deal on mine but shipping from West coast drove my cost up, I coul sell it for 5300 or trade for something else. I just find I play others more, even Avatar LE. If you super picky I sell a new in box (NIB) Avatar number 9 or 10 just cant remember for 5500 and a Transformers combo for 5900 still new in box. I also have the underrated Big Buck Hunter pro out of the box for 3600 and one new in box 4100. This game does great in my area. Still on vacation but could sell a few to get a nice expensive pin I been eyeing.

Buddy

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

TF-LE is miles above AVATURD!!! no comparison!!!

Disagree. Avatar LE is smoother, faster, more fun, and the objectives are simpler yet more satisfying and don't feel like work. It has a robot that ACTUALLY MOVES....lol. Custom voice is a real actor.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

It's based on the movies...it will look cluttered no matter what, lol. I liked the Combo the best because it reflected the concept of the game the best. Decepticons/Purple on the left, Autobots/Red on the right. Combo reflected that perfectly with different cabinet art on each side, different metal color on each side, and different robots on each side of the translite. Even the LE plaque was divided with purple/red. I feel like you actually got LESS for more money with the Autobot only or Decepticon only versions.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Disagree. Avatar LE is smoother, faster, more fun, and the objectives are simpler yet more satisfying and don't feel like work.

TF-LE is way better than Avatar LE any day and I like Avatar LE. TF-LE is an extremely fun game to play it's just not what they promised at pre-order and you have to take off the Ironhide gate. Also if they would fix some of the rules like they should and ad multi-ball progression it would be an awesome game. The dots aren't the best but who watches the DMD most of the time anyways.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from britrex1:

TF-LE is way better than Avatar LE any day and I like Avatar LE. TF-LE is an extremely fun game to play it's just not what they promised at pre-order and you have to take off the Ironhide gate. Also if they would fix some of the rules like they should and ad multi-ball progression it would be an awesome game. The dots aren't the best but who watches the DMD most of the time anyways.

Hey, it's cool...we all don't have to like the same stuff. I put over 1500 games on my TFLE before I got rid of it...it just wasn't fun anymore. I've probably got 2000 plays on my Avatar LE at this point and could still play and enjoy it. TFLE is a clunkier version of Monster Bash with rules that feel like work. I have MB so I didn't need TFLE any more especially after they refused to add an OPTION for Multiball progression to balance the gameplay. There are a million difficulty options...the stubbornness to not include that one thing was infuriating, especially after the broken promises & QC issues. Honestly I'm amazed I ordered X-Men after my TFLE experience...lol.

#28 9 years ago

I do not know why people bash this game,
I love my TFLE Combo. Only needs a small tweak in the software and all will be well.
Just the same as SM and BDK was before it actually was updated to the complete code it is now.
But back then look at all who jumped ship

This will be a sleeper until Lonnie Ropp wakes the sleeping dead

#29 9 years ago

It mostly gets bashed because of what Gomez said it was going to be and didn't deliver. But also because of the multi-balls being almost impossible to beat and not having the progression memory. It gets old fast when you keep getting stuck in the game with nothing to do except the multi-balls over and over until you finally drain out. Also Lonnie doesn't care about the machines he works on so he will never go back and fix it like it should be like Lyman does.

#30 9 years ago

Then if Gomez was so bad with TF, why would anyone want to get Avengers then?
Well hopefully then the distributors will place pressure on Stern to fix the code up some more so that they can move these along (as mentioned above).
Can only hope

#31 9 years ago

Transformers is a blast to play, but I am a junkie for the theme, I am sure that helps. Prices will go back up once all of these find a new home. I find everyone is pumping up and preordering the new sterns (This stern will be the best ever!). Just to find its just another game.

Thank God, because then people are selling off an "A" title to me so they can go get AC/DC. Woohoo, finally able to get some titles I have been longing for

#32 9 years ago

TF LE DEC OR AUTO are definately more desirable due their lower numbers
The problem with the combo is they made too many at 500 + 250 If they made only 500 in total it would be different story today

Tron Le 400
Acdc 300+ 250
TF LE 500 + 250

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from britrex1:

It mostly gets bashed because of what Gomez said it was going to be and didn't deliver. But also because of the multi-balls being almost impossible to beat and not having the progression memory. It gets old fast when you keep getting stuck in the game with nothing to do except the multi-balls over and over until you finally drain out. Also Lonnie doesn't care about the machines he works on so he will never go back and fix it like it should be like Lyman does.

I can only agree with you on most parts. But for me it's only the OP MB that's a pain in the butt to complete. Megatron i completed lot's of time so far.

#34 9 years ago

I never got the idea of Auto or Dec, As the movie is always one against the other,
reason why I still feel that the Combo not only looks better, but in the end will be the one to get.
Oww and I have a Combo

#35 9 years ago

Any one find a for sale at $4200 yet?

#36 9 years ago

I'm still in wonder of the people that bought LEs just to keep in box and wait to sell for a killing.
TBD in a few years if that happens...

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from britrex1:

You are all on crack. The lowest price on an LE that I've seen has been $5100 and up. Anyone that is selling them for less is throwing money away or desperate for cash.

Uh.....ok?

NIB Decepticon: $5000.00 from a well known distributor sold in the last week.

I just bought one...a Decepticon.....for less than that and I'm picking it up later today.

Free market at work. Prices on TF LE's are down. Probably close to the bottom of the market right now (there are a TON of them for sale), so the timing was right for me to buy one.

Quoted from jasonpaulbauer:

Now is a great time to be a TF buyer; I think the low price with distributors still sitting on inventory may put extra pressure on Stern to revisit the code to help sell some more.

Has anyone seen any distributor selling below cost yet? With low play HUO machines going for $4.5-5k, what's a NIB worth?

See above.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from britrex1:

It mostly gets bashed because of what Gomez said it was going to be and didn't deliver. But also because of the multi-balls being almost impossible to beat and not having the progression memory.

I think that sums it up quite well. It really does come down to those two things.

TF LE made such a good first impression on me that I decided to buy one while prices were ridiculously low. The guy I'm buying from is taking a $1700.00 hit.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I'm still in wonder of the people that bought LEs just to keep in box and wait to sell for a killing.
TBD in a few years if that happens...

I am sure there are people who did that. Ever since BSM skyrocketed people have purchased the LE's with hopes it would become the next one. Tron LE followed the same path while others have not. I know people who ordered multiple XMEN LE's just for that purpose, but only time will tell if that becomes the next Tron or the next Avatar. I know the game is far from perfect and would never say it was one of Stern's best, but I really enjoy it and think it's one of the better Stern's and not a piece of crap like everyone is making it out to be.

#40 9 years ago

Lest anyone think that Rarehero is nothing but a basher of TF LE, he isn't. He has plenty to compliment about TF LE too, as shown by his pretty in depth initial review of it here:

http://rgparchive.com/rgpforum/showthread.php?t=396247

I look forward to you doing a quality review like that on XM LE when you get it Greg.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Uh.....ok?
NIB Decepticon: $5000.00 from a well known distributor sold in the last week.
I just bought one...a Decepticon.....for less than that and I'm picking it up later today.
Free market at work. Prices on TF LE's are down. Probably close to the bottom of the market right now (there are a TON of them for sale), so the timing was right for me to buy one.
See above.

Add to that, the fact that Stern hasn't even finished building the TF LE combos. I believe they have about 150 left to build, but the demand is gone and distributors are sitting on stock. If they ever happen to be on close out like happened with WOF, I'll have to jump on one.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Lest anyone think that Rarehero is nothing but a basher of TF LE, he isn't. He has plenty to compliment about TF LE too, as shown by his pretty in depth initial review of it here:
http://rgparchive.com/rgpforum/showthread.php?t=396247
I look forward to you doing a quality review like that on XM LE when you get it Greg.

Greg is the master of reviews, not to mention hes a great guy, and far from a basher of any title..

he is just honest and edgucated....

#43 9 years ago

Not too long ago, I was offered a TFLE through a distributor for less than $5k. I have seen two listed for $4500 online, and heard of another one that was sold for $4300.

The Pro on the other hand I have not seen take much of a hit at all. In fact, the same distributor that offered me the TFLE for less than $5k offered me a Pro for just a couple hundred less.

From what I understand, TF Pro does pretty well on route and a lot of the issues with things getting stuck and whatnot that people have with the LE aren't there, which has actually kept the Pro in high demand. It seems like they also didn't make very many Pros, so that is keeping that price up at least for now.

Will the market for TF recover? Personally, I doubt it. There are some people that do really like this machine, but the issue is that the initial sales go to the biggest fans of the theme and speculators. If the speculators are cutting their losses now, they don't think that the price will rebound any time soon. And, if the biggest fans are dumping the game, then there is another huge issue.

Having said that, the price drop really isn't horribly drastic. Compared to what a "normal" arcade game loses out of the box when someone buys it to stick it on route or whatever, that's a pretty normal hit. It's unrealistic expectations about how NIB pinball machines should always increase that have people as jaded as they are on it.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside