wire (resized).jpg
Fuse_Me_Wire_Size (resized).jpg
Fuse_Me (resized).jpg
wiring (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
IMG_3622 (resized).jpg
IMG_3635 (resized).jpg
IMG_3633 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider matthew2015.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

the transformer in my flash pinball is not acting right. it seems to be running too hot and also make cracking sound and smell after a few minutes.
some people say its a short or something to do with bridge rectifier. anybody had a similar problem like this?
i cant see anything wrong except for the blue wire that's has exposed wiring in multiple places .
what's the large capacitor to the left of the transformer for?

IMG_3622 (resized).jpgIMG_3622 (resized).jpgIMG_3633 (resized).jpgIMG_3633 (resized).jpgIMG_3635 (resized).jpgIMG_3635 (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

checked 6br1 and the positive violent wire goes to the capacitor first before they go to the 3P1 plug for lamps 16 vdc ,
and the negative black wire across from that should also go to the capacitor first then hook to the connector 3p2 right ,
could not find flash pinball power schematics but i thought these are pretty much the same.
if this is wired wrong , is this what is causing the problem?

wiring (resized).jpgwiring (resized).jpg
#5 3 years ago

because that negative black is wired directly to the 3p2 plug and not to the capacitor first.

#11 3 years ago

okay , i think will replace all the wires because there are multiple exposed wires and some wire are not even the right color. like the yellow wires were added later to replace blue wires and red near the base of the transformer. and i think 6br1 bridge has a short . i tested both bridges with reading of .500 except that
that the positive and bottom wire of 6br1 had a low reading of .050 then would drop to zero. also the negative wire of 6br1 is not attached to the large capacitor first , it is directly attached to the 3p2 plug. and 6br2 negative wire has is attached to the capacitor then wired to the 3p2 plug so i think that is wired wrong .

i'm surprised that the pinball even turns with all this messed up wiring.
but i will get some new bridge rectifiers and redo all the wires and add fuses .

IMG_3637 (resized).jpgIMG_3637 (resized).jpgIMG_3641 (resized).jpgIMG_3641 (resized).jpgwire (resized).jpgwire (resized).jpg
#13 3 years ago

i guess the next thing to snice i need to rewire the transformer is take it out to have better look it it.
could i rewire new wires to the base of the transformer? is there some solder points for that?

#16 3 years ago

i did take it out it looks pretty bad.

IMG_3643 (resized).jpgIMG_3643 (resized).jpg
#19 3 years ago

i thought there would be some solder pads for the wires since there are some on the front but it looks like those wires are tucked behind that brown paper covering. i do want to know if can replace the wires at the base if there is one and what size of wire i would need .

#25 3 years ago

would 18 awg wire work for replacing the wire from the transformer ?
, i have all the correct colors to replace them with.

#27 3 years ago

okay , i will get a technician to do it but i don't know where i would get somebody that knows about that stuff.

#28 3 years ago

okay , i will get a technician to do it but i don't know where i would get somebody that knows about that stuff.
don't they make a new transformer replacement for this by now? all i could find were original units that are untested that were selling for $100.
likely a technician would cost more than that if i found one.

#30 3 years ago

this bridge rectifier work ?
its 4 pins are not exactly the same as mine.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/KBPC3504-L

#34 3 years ago

the one with the Williams FLASH PINBALL Power Block Transformer was one i was considering but it sold like 20 mins ago.

#38 3 years ago

i do know there is a 1 bad bridge rectifier and a connection that not wired correctly. i will get the parts i need then i will find someone that knows more about this than i do to put this together . so i will take a break for now .

#39 3 years ago

i am trying to as much as this by myself to learn about how all this works and how to fix it but i will get a someone that know more about to do it for me and show me how they do it. i will also look more into vid1900 guides on pinside.

i do know there is a 1 bad bridge rectifier and a connection that not wired correctly. i will get the parts i need then i will find someone that knows more about this than i do to put this together . so i will take a break for now .

2 weeks later
#40 2 years ago

still looking for someone to fix transformer .
i was wondering since the some wires would have to replaced , i know the wires need to be the same awg size but if i don't have that exact size , is it safe to replace wire a with a slightly bigger wire size or smaller wire?

4 weeks later
#41 2 years ago

i got someone to test and fix the transformer wiring .
it needed a new bridge rectifier and some wires changed that had exposed wiring.
so its all working good now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Tools
Pincoder Store

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider matthew2015.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transformer-short?tu=matthew2015 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.