(Topic ID: 208693)

Transformer Repair?

By timab2000

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180120_085705_001 (resized).jpg
    Capture2 (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    20180127_124648 (resized).jpg
    20180127_100255 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Hey can transformer be repaired??

And if they can be repaired, does anyone know where to send one to get fix where you won't get ripped off or where it won't take a year to fix.

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

Don't think its possible, can't take'm apart without destroying it.

#3 6 years ago

What machine is it? Are you sure the transformer is bad?

#4 6 years ago

yes what machine ? no can't be repaired .

#5 6 years ago

It's my Flash Gordon. It runs the strobe. There should be 2 red wires coming out and there is only one.

20180127_100255 (resized).jpg20180127_100255 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

The antique radio guys sometimes have transformers rewound when they can no longer get an off-the-shelf replacement. Be forewarned it is very expensive though. I've seen costs around $1,000 to $1,200 to do a transformer.

#7 6 years ago

might be broken off. You can neatly slice the paper on one side to expose the windings. You might find it down in there somewhere.

#8 6 years ago

I can see a wire down inside, just not sure if I should mess with it.

20180127_124648 (resized).jpg20180127_124648 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

What voltage do the two red wires supposed to put out? If the rest is still working, it might be easier, and certainly cheaper to just add a second transformer with the proper voltage and current rating.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

might be broken off. You can neatly slice the paper on one side to expose the windings. You might find it down in there somewhere.

Its ok, you can peel the paper back and retrieve broken wire. The trick, is not to break it any further. Do you know how to braid wrap, ie the wire extension your going to add strip down 3-4 inches, then wrap that to wire you can dig out. Know wrap it like a braid, then use a heat temp tolerant " vulconizing tape" to wrap around it. Simple.
    Another idea, talk to K'sarcade, call patty, maybe they can do it for a couple hundred.
    Just saw avove post. Great idea!

#11 6 years ago

That's the missing wire. Slice vertically at the edge of the paper to open it up. You can tape it back later. There are no other insulated wires on that side, so if there is enough length, solder a wire extension to the end of the wire then insulate the repair with heat shrink tubing or electrical tape. This transformer's purpose is to reduce supply voltage from either 220 or 120 to 115V, which powers the strobe. This was put in because of the export games that were run on 220v.

#12 6 years ago

Probably easier to just replace with a 1 transformer of suitable rating.

Something like this maybe?
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CS-1166

My Flash Gordon (which was an import) was wired for 220v when I got it which is why the strobe didn't work (it does now). The fuse installed in my game is 1/2 Amp and . Schematic below shows 1 Amp fuse for 115V.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

Capture2 (resized).JPGCapture2 (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago

you kidding? That transformer would work, but fixing that wire takes only 10 minutes. Installing that transformer is a lot more work. First the mounting holes will be different, so you have to drill and tap 4 holes into the transformer plate. Then you need to solder four wires onto the transformer and crimp the pins on to those wires to fit the molex connector and make really sure you have them hooked up right. couple hours for sure.

#14 6 years ago

Ok thanks for the ideas. I have the wiring diagram, but to check the voltage at both red wires, or at least the one I can see, to see if it is even working how would I set my multimeter. I have not done volts AC before, so I'm kind of scared. I have attached pic of my meter if someone can tell me where to turn the dial and where to put the red and black probes.

20180120_085705_001 (resized).jpg20180120_085705_001 (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

Dial set to 200 ACV. Probes go to the red wires coming from the transformer. you have to have both red wires. doesn't matter which probe to which red wire.

#16 6 years ago

Are the probes in the right spot on the meter?? And then the black probe touches a red wire too, not ground?

#17 6 years ago

Probes are good. Yes red probe to one red wire, black probe to the other. No ground when testing AC.

#18 6 years ago

Ok... well you guys are awesome!!

I cut back the paper, dug the wire out and soldered a wire to it, heat shrink tube the repair, and plug it in and it works!! Even with the old original strobe. I can't freaking beleive it. Thanks for all the help.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

soldered a wire to it, heat shrink tube the repair, and plug it in and it works!!

It's a good feeling eh?

#20 6 years ago

Transformers last forever !!!

#21 6 years ago

Lesson here is don’t run out and replace transformers and boards before fixing a broken wire.

#22 6 years ago

Yeah I really happy that is working. Thanks again everyone who helped!!

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

you kidding? That transformer would work, but fixing that wire takes only 10 minutes. Installing that transformer is a lot more work. First the mounting holes will be different, so you have to drill and tap 4 holes into the transformer plate. Then you need to solder four wires onto the transformer and crimp the pins on to those wires to fit the molex connector and make really sure you have them hooked up right. couple hours for sure.

Great to hear that this got fixed I'm all for not replacing parts unless absolutely necessary I was just giving another option. An no I wasn't kidding - it really should take less than 15 minutes to replace the xformer. Only one hole to drill, use one of the existing holes and the self tapping screw off the old xformer for the other. Only four wires to solder as you can completely eliminate the larger multi-pin connector (assume hard-wired for 115). The only crimping necessary would be to replace the wire missing into the two pin connector... and you'd have to do that anyway.

#24 6 years ago

15 minutes? Not on your best day.

#25 6 years ago

And... the transformers have no self tapping screws. The hole in the plate is tapped. It’s thick steel plate. Plus the transformer has 4 screws. Yes two will hold it, but do leave the other two empty. You have to drill and tap three holes. Self tapping screws are for sheet metal.

#26 6 years ago

Nicely done. Feels good to fix these machines.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transformer-repair-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.