3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinstyle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Does the primary on a transformer matter as far as hot and neutral orientation? If I wire the line cord according to the side that is switched I end up with the hot wire landing on the primary common lug. It looks to me like the neutral side is fused which seems odd. Then I got to thinking, with a standard old school two prong non-polarized lamp cord, it wouldn't have made a difference since you would then have a 50/50 chance of plugging the cord in so that hot actually went to the 115v lug.

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

Does the primary on a transformer matter as far as hot and neutral orientation? If I wire the line cord according to the side that is switched I end up with the hot wire landing on the primary common lug. It looks to me like the neutral side is fused which seems odd. Then I got to thinking, with a standard old school two prong non-polarized lamp cord, it wouldn't have made a difference since you would then have a 50/50 chance of plugging the cord in so that hot actually went to the 115v lug.

You are quite right. In fact, many household outlets are poled wrong. Shouldn’t be, but they are!

#3 3 years ago

hot should be switched/fused. transformer is bi-directional though. either primary lug is fine for hot/neutral. center taps are a different animal.

#4 3 years ago

I followed the brass lug in the service outlet to the switch for my hot. I am guess this would have been the "hot" side. This is an older Williams EM Epsilon puck bowler. I added in a fuse on the hot side, there is a fuse on the 110v run but it looks to me like it is on the neutral side. I had this thing apart for a while so it is possible there was another line fuse located maybe near the coin box but I don't recall seeing one. I am thinking a 15amp fuse for the primary since there is a 110v coil tied to it and I have a feeling that coil is going to suck some amps..

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transformer-polarity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.