(Topic ID: 314297)

Transformer modifications to System 6

By cyberfez

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6197 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 4.40.40 PM (resized).png
    detail (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I am looking to convert a candidate transformer (havent bought one yet) to a System 6 transformer for my 1979 Williams Time Warp which originally would have sported a 15B-6797 transformer but I purchased and found it was missing.

Some people's posts here on pinside I have read, stated that a 5610-10355-00 can be modified to work in a System 6 machine. I can not find any info on what I would need to do in order to do this. All I know is that I have no transformer so i cant even test ther rest of the machine.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

detail (resized).jpgdetail (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

First I think you need to get a wiring diagram of the transformer you need so we know what result you are trying to achieve otherwise you are just running blind.

Exactly what secondaries are needed to run your machine?

It's very possible you can cobble the outputs of two transformers to get the secondaries you need but with knowing exactly what you need it's hard to suggest anything at this point.

#3 1 year ago

Maybe you can find a 5610-09563-00 or -01 transformer. This is used in system 7 games and should also work in system 6 games.

15B-1697 should also work.

#4 1 year ago

You just need to "make it work"... if you don't already have the pictured transformer... I guess you would first need to purchase that or find one...

I would then connect your transformer after the line filter in your game with the FOUR (WH/RD) WIRES on the left and your other four wires on that side and connect NOTHING ELSE on the output side!) and then just test the AC and DC wires (at the plugs on the right side below) to confirm that you have the right voltages present and go from there. Make note of the transformer pole #'s on this page. Those #'s should be on the transformer but sometimes are hard to find.

Picture BLEOW is from the Time Warp SCHEM. so, confirm that the outputs match what's on this page! You will probably only need to re-pin or change a couple wires.

It looks like the trans. from Marco you pictured comes with bridges but if it does not, or you get the transformer somewhere else, just buy one of the "Inkochnito bridge boards". http://bigdaddy-enterprises.com/ProductPages/BridgeBoard.html
    --->It's way easier to just use that if you are building this part of the game from scratch.

You don't really need a 6P1/6J1 plug if you are building it from scratch, unless you want to be able to easily remove it from the cabinet in the future.

Also, an alternative source for these type of transformers is Todd Tuckey. He has some used ones from time to time.

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 4.40.40 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-04-27 at 4.40.40 PM (resized).png

test these:

IMG_6197 (resized).jpegIMG_6197 (resized).jpeg
    #5 1 year ago

Such a great and informative response. Thanks I will look up Todd and also that for the output voltages.

#6 1 year ago

Don’t forget to connect the dotted line (white-red) if you are in AUS, using 220V.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transformer-modifications-to-system-6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.