3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Playdium
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bally transformer (resized).jpg
    IMG_9528 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9525 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Thought I would ask again if anyone recognizes this transformer. I have no idea what the input/outputs are. I do show the following ohms readings.
    Pos 1+2=1 ohm
    Pos 1+4=.9 ohm
    Pos 5+6=.7 ohm
    Pos 7+9= .1 ohm
    Pos 9+10= .1 ohm

It may have come from a bingo or bowler machine.

IMG_9525 (resized).jpgIMG_9525 (resized).jpgIMG_9528 (resized).jpgIMG_9528 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

It looks more like a Bally transformer to me than Gottlieb or Williams. Fortunately Bally often includes some transformer details in their schematics like this one:
    Bally transformer (resized).jpgBally transformer (resized).jpg
    You might browse through some of the Bally schematics on IPDB.org to see if there are patterns or common configurations.

Your resistance measurements tell you something about the relative number of windings between the various pairs of terminals since more resistance would indicate more windings.

If you're comfortable working with electricity and are aware of the dangers and safety procedures you could also apply a small AC voltage from a wall wart or variac to the various terminal pairs and measure the AC voltage at the other terminal pairs to confirm the relative number of windings.

As an example imagine that the transformer has a primary winding intended for a 120 volt AC input and a secondary winding intended for 50 volt AC output. If you apply just 6 volts AC to the primary winding you should see 2.5 volts AC at the secondary winding because the ratio from input voltage to output voltage will stay the same (120/50 = 6/2.5).

Even though you're using small voltages though you still need to be careful. If you instead apply 6 volts AC to the terminals intended to supply 6 volts to the lights, you'll probably get 50 volts AC and 120 volts AC at the other terminals. (see https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-test-your-light-sockets-with-the-machine-disassembled#post-5976888 for details.)

/Mark

#3 3 years ago

I have a made up lamp cord with an inline 10amp fuse. I may apply this to Pos 1 and Pos 2, then carefully take AC readings.

#4 3 years ago

This is what I found to be the voltages on this transformer.
    Pos 1 + 2 = 110 volts in
    Pos 1 + 4 = 9 volts
    Pos 5 + 6 =54 volts
    Pos 7 + 9 = .5 volts
    Pos 9 + 10 = 7.9 volts

I'll have to look up some old Bally bingo machines to see what those voltages were.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

This is what I found to be the voltages on this transformer.
    Pos 1 + 2 = 110 volts in
    Pos 1 + 4 = 9 volts
    Pos 5 + 6 =54 volts
    Pos 7 + 9 = .5 volts
    Pos 9 + 10 = 7.9 volts
    I'll have to look up some old Bally bingo machines to see what those voltages were.

After looking at several Bally and United bingo schematics, I see the normal operating voltage is 50 volts. I am also not too sure that Pos 1 and Pos 2 would be the main input. Just looks odd as others are usually Pos 1 and Pos 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transformer-identification and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.