4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Playdium
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bally_1972_Fireball_Transformer_Connections.pdf (PDF preview)
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6257 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6256 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Looking to establish the input and output settings on this unknown transformer.
    It has 2,4,6,8,10 on top.
    And 1,5,7,9 on bottom.
    No other markings seen.

IMG_6256 (resized).jpgIMG_6256 (resized).jpgIMG_6257 (resized).jpgIMG_6257 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

The numbers are the same as Bally transformers. This from the Fireball schematic.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #3 4 years ago

Thanks I'll try that with rubber sole shoes.

#4 4 years ago

What's the resistance between terminals 1 & 5

#5 4 years ago

This may help make sense of that split primary winding - the 115V wiring diagram from the same schematic. Although there is no "3" tab on your transformer, possibly an internal connection? If internal, you should also see some resistance between terminals 1 and 7.
    Bally_1972_Fireball_Transformer_Connections.pdfBally_1972_Fireball_Transformer_Connections.pdf

#6 4 years ago

I measured the resistance of the lugs as follows.
    1-5, 1-7, 1-9 are all open.
    1-2, 1-4 are shorted.
    1-6, 1-8, 1-10 are all open.

5-7, 5-9, 5-2, 5-4 are all open.
    5-6 is shorted.
    5-8, 5-10 are open.

7-9, 7-2, 7-4, 7-6 are all open.
    7-8 is shorted.
    7-10 is open.

9-2, 9-4, 9-6, 9-8 are all open.
    9-10 is shorted.

By looking at the schematic from DaMoib, shouldn't I see a short between 1+5/7?

#7 4 years ago

I don't think the image applies to this transformer due to the fact that 5 and 7 are not linked.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from HowardR:

What's the resistance between terminals 1 & 5

open

#9 4 years ago

When you say "short", you are reading 0.0 ohms?

The schematic I included states that the *operator* needs to short the 1,3 and 5,7 terminals for 115V operation, 220V operation requires an entirely different wiring arrangement - shorting 3,5.

The fact that there is no terminal 3 on this transformer... you're right, this is looking like it is not the Bally transformer we are attempting to match it to.

The hunt goes on! Where did the transformer in question come from? Definitely a pinball machine?

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

When you say "short", you are reading 0.0 ohms?
    The schematic I included states that the *operator* needs to short the 1,3 and 5,7 terminals for 115V operation, 220V operation requires an entirely different wiring arrangement - shorting 3,5.
    The fact that there is no terminal 3 on this transformer... you're right, this is looking like it is not the Bally transformer we are attempting to match it to.
    The hunt goes on! Where did the transformer in question come from? Definitely a pinball machine?

Yes, short equals 0 ohms. This could be an early arcade machine, not necessarily a pinball machine. Unknown application...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transformer-id-and-voltage-inputs?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.