Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Snailman
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

profit.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from zsciaeount:

Things I wish I would have known before my first Pinburgh:
    1) Get comfortable with EMs and early solid state games. Modern DMD games aren't as prevalent as you think at Pinburgh. You will be playing on an EM and probably 2 older solid state games each round, and likely just one DMD per round.

This x1000

I had my ass handed to me by EM's and somewhat by early solidstate machines my first Pinburgh.

They play much slower so you would think they are easier... that is not at all the case. Get time on EM's and early SS games, and don't be fooled into thinking there is nothing but luck on how to play these machines - there is skill and it is subtle beyond belief. The bonus is the skills form an EM translate all the way to a DMD; the reverse is not so much true - DMD skills do not translate terribly well to EM's in my experience.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Is Pinburgh a friendly style of competition or just intense and cut-throat?
    i.e. do groups tend to share strategies and help each other out with rules or is the competition so still that everyone has their game face on the whole time?

It's overall very friendly. Some take it too seriously imo - it really is a silly tournament in reality. You play dozens of machines for the first time ever, and you get 3 balls on each (5 on EMs) and some people expect nothing but perfect games. It's just not gonna happen. It's like a race car driver showing up to drive an unknown vehicle around an unknown course for 3 laps and expecting a world record.

As for sharing strategies, coaching during play is not allowed at all. Outside of that, I won't share strategies with my immediate competitors in a 4 man group; not so much so I can win but out of respect for the other players in the group of 4 who may have studied up on the game or put in the practice time. After a round or outside a round, I will discuss any machine, all day, even if I might be competing with that player a day or so later.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

check your emotions at the door it can be nerve racking playing in competition and you really have to have to be even keel and that will get you through but if you are unable to and nerves or angry get the better of you it will be a long tourney

Agreed.

The faster you can get past looking foolish or having a bad game/ball, the sooner you will have fun.

You will have house balls, you will make the wrong shots, you will not know the vast majority of games you play, and you will have fun

#32 9 years ago

Also, avoid getting angry if/when rulings or malfunctions don't go your way or possibly even go against you. Random things happen in pinball that might benefit or hurt each player so feel free to get rulings when necessary, but be polite and thankful regardless of whether the outcome is for or against yourself or other players. Regardless of how or why you place first or dead last, you won't become the president of the world*, so keep it fun!

* depending on the size of 'your' world naturally

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Talking to other players between balls to discuss strategy is allowed, correct?
    I assume you play 4 player games and not 4 single player games in a row?

Some games (EMs and some games with certain gameplay features) are played 1 or 2 at a time instead of 4 player.

Talking between balls is for sure allowed - again out of respect for the other competitors I usually don't dump strategies on players during the round (I don't care if I lose, but I don't think it's right to cause other players a loss) but there's no rule against it IIRC... if the player isn't currently playing I don't THINK strategy discussion is coaching? I could be 100% wrong on that.

My conversation is usually geared toward observations of the specific machine ('man brutal kickout hey?'), or complementing gameplay ('nice save'), or asking about the individuals themselves. I generally try to avoid the "Oh just shoot left orbit all day" conversation on ToM for example. Again - I lose all the time, but if I tell player A about that, then he beats players B and C, I just acted as spoiler for the group and potentially manipulated the points outcome, regardless of whether I placed #1 or #4

#41 9 years ago

I've never played with headphones. I might be amazing if I do. Or not...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/training-for-pinburgh?tu=purpledrilmonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.