Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

p01n60z8 (resized).jpg
307099260_10225550147451978_6173375419292944569_n.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 9.54.30 PM (resized).png
5806b4f029e87d8395e0efb019debca2--funny-shit-funny-stuff (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).jpg
B74D22EA-31AC-4EA6-8465-A377BF45DF73 (resized).jpeg

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

As the title states, a customer of ours had their pin stolen off of a Fedex railcar on its way from Chicago to California. In speaking with Fedex its extremely rare for this to happen and they believe it was largely due to the star wars stickers on the box. The game was taken directly off of a rail car in transit.

Please keep your eye out for serial number 342175C and if you see it anywhere please send me a message.

Stern was great and helped us get a replacement for our customer super fast. Hopeful they can utilize their insider connected to track this unit or brick it. I made this suggestion to them and they are investigating if this is possible on their end. If so, this would be a great security feature for all of us end users and route operators. Once you go into your insider connected account and label your game as stolen if it was able to brick a game from working that would really help deter some theft. All of us who sell games on the second market from collector to collector could also benefit from similar issues with transit theft.

I'll update the thread with any new info I receive, I just wanted to get the serial number in front of as many eyes as possible.

#2 1 year ago

I didn't think train robberies had been a thing since 1893 or so, but here we are.
Hope they get the bastard theives.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I didn't think train robberies had been a thing since 1893 or so, but here we are.
Hope they get the bastard theives.

Some people say they're actually a pretty big thing these days, and the issue has become politicized. Not something to discuss on Pinside though!

#4 1 year ago

So are they thinking it was an inside job?

Wonder who holds the key to the box car, I'm guessing FedEx?

#5 1 year ago

Love to see call outs added to shout THIS MACHINE HAS BEEN REPORTED STOLEN once a minute or so.

#6 1 year ago

Cali cargo rail thefts have been in the news since last year. Sad, but it’s only getting worse and spreading.

#7 1 year ago

I doubt anyone is going to try to connect a stolen pin to the internet, but if it is pawned/sold it might end up online eventually. (Then what? Stern contacts the "pinball squad" to serve warrants to track the IP to who knows where? Stern sends out a version of code that has potential to cause damage to legit customers? - seems easier to just send another pin and forget about it.)

Also - can't rule out that FEDEX looses 1000s of shipments every day and has no idea where they are but they are sure yours was stolen off a train because the shipping label was scanned at the train depot. Maybe a forklift scraped the label off and now its just sitting in some warehouse and they will get in contact with Stern eventually. (FEDEX has found large packages that were long overdue for my company - they looked at the old labels, etc and made calls)

The last 2 stolen pins on Pinside were recovered intact so miracles do happen. Hope it turns up!

BTW - what do you mean covered with Star Wars stickers?

#8 1 year ago

The Cali train heists are done by gangs of thieves who slide open the door and push pallets out while the train is moving. This game is probably lying on the ground near the tracks in pieces.

#9 1 year ago

i'd love to see how they get a NIB pin, on the back of a horse while running along side the train.

#10 1 year ago

Props to Inhome for handling without involving or trying to offload the headache on the buyer. It's as happy an ending as one could hope for for these things. (Absent, of course, the thieves' vehicle stalling out on an approaching train crossing on the way home.)

@yeoldpinplayer: Uploaded callouts to stolen games should definitely be a thing.

Also, Firefly ep 2 "The Train Job" confirmed. (Yes, yes, Ep. 1 if you're a terrible Fox suit.)

#11 1 year ago

I hear the leader of the gang is Bad Bart.

-couldn’t help myself, it kinda sounds like a modern day Cactus Canyon

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from oldbaby:

Some people say they're actually a pretty big thing these days, and the issue has become politicized. Not something to discuss on Pinside though!

We must ignore this theft and keep our heads in the sand. Nothing to see here.

B74D22EA-31AC-4EA6-8465-A377BF45DF73 (resized).jpegB74D22EA-31AC-4EA6-8465-A377BF45DF73 (resized).jpeg
#13 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

The Cali train heists are done by gangs of thieves who slide open the door and push pallets out while the train is moving. This game is probably lying on the ground near the tracks in pieces.

#14 1 year ago

gdonovan what a fkn mess.
-Mike

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

-Mike

I stopped ordering/buying anything of importance on the west coast that might through go through the LA shipping complexes a few months back after this video surfaced.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

-Mike

Just like the train tracks

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

BTW - what do you mean covered with Star Wars stickers?

They ship from Stern with a big Star Wars logo sticker on one side of the box. Very conspicuous telltale that it's carrying valuable Star Wars merchandise.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Craiger:

Props to Inhome for handling without involving or trying to offload the headache on the buyer. It's as happy an ending as one could hope for for these things. (Absent, of course, the thieves' vehicle stalling out on an approaching train crossing on the way home.)
YeOldPinPlayer: Uploaded callouts to stolen games should definitely be a thing.
Also, Firefly ep 2 "The Train Job" confirmed. (Yes, yes, Ep. 1 if you're a terrible Fox suit.)

Thanks! If I was unable to get another one from Stern i was going to shop around for him with another dealer. It's really no ones fault it got stolen but we believe in doing the best we can for the customer so we took care of the claim and finding a replacement rather than just say its their problem to deal with.

Quoted from vikingerik:

They ship from Stern with a big Star Wars logo sticker on one side of the box. Very conspicuous telltale that it's carrying valuable Star Wars merchandise.

Exactly. Fedex basically asked why I did that. Like I should have expected someone to steal it because it said star wars.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

[quoted image]

I just meant don't discuss the political angle too much.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

Thanks! If I was unable to get another one from Stern i was going to shop around for him with another dealer. It's really no ones fault it got stolen but we believe in doing the best we can for the customer so we took care of the claim and finding a replacement rather than just say its their problem to deal with.

Exactly. Fedex basically asked why I did that. Like I should have expected someone to steal it because it said star wars.

Your box may have had extra stickers but all of them are clearly labeled.Thieves gonna thieve no matter what precautions pretty much.

#21 1 year ago

No comment!

#22 1 year ago

I knew this thread would go off the rails. Just can’t train you guys to behave. Let’s get it back on track mods!

#23 1 year ago

Hopeful they can utilize their insider connected to track this unit or brick it.

I hate thieves and want to see them caught, but I sure hope they don't start bricking games at distributor's request.

#24 1 year ago

lol, Star Wars sticker or not, the thieves had already broken in so it looks like everything is unloaded no matter the label if FEDEX is claiming it was just punks cleaning out random stopped rail cars.

They do make shrouded type padlocks that are uncuttable. Seems like a problem that could be solved if someone wanted to.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from DeeGor:I hate thieves and want to see them caught, but I sure hope they don't start bricking games at distributor's request.

Even if they get caught, what will happen then?

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

They'll be hung at dawn. That is what train robbers get.

LTG : )

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

If only that were actually the case. I will refrain from any other comments because someone may get butthurt and call it political.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

No they won't.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

Likely nothing. Maybe the machine gets recovered.

Criminals get a free pass these days.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

is that the way they used to do it back in the day?

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

I hate thieves and want to see them caught, but I sure hope they don't start bricking games at distributor's request.

It would be at an owners request and not a distributor/dealer, I am still the owner as the person making the request. When an item like this is stolen from anyone, it would be nice to see the option to brick your machine if you had a registered in your insider connected account with a police report being provided.

As an operator, it would be great to see an option where your machine can be turned off if you have a tech alert for a major failure. For instance, you have a node board go down or a flipper that is not working, you receive a tech alert and then you can put your game into an "out of order"(displayed on main display) state remotely. That way your game doesn't have money put into it with a disappointed customer or played broken until you can arrive and fix your game.

There are plenty of positives available for remote control of these games, not sure what a negative would be.

#32 1 year ago

This is insane. A pinball stolen off a moving train. I have to say it again, this is insane. Who would have thought that would be possible?

#33 1 year ago

There are plenty of positives available for remote control of these games, not sure what a negative would be.

You are not thinking like a bad actor.
Turn off a working game.
Turn up the volume to annoy everyone in the venue.
Change pricing.
Pull audits, offer them to anyone who cares to see them.
Ransomware

It's just a matter of time before criminals adapt their methodology to internet connected pinball machines. If there is money to be made it will happen.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

You are not thinking like a bad actor.
Turn off a working game.
Turn up the volume to annoy everyone in the venue.
Change pricing.
Pull audits, offer them to anyone who cares to see them.
Ransomware
It's just a matter of time before criminals adapt their methodology to internet connected pinball machines. If there is money to be made it will happen.

Possible, sure. Extremely unlikely. It’s pretty tin hat to think people are hacking them. Quite honestly all that info/ability is available to a hacker right now if the game is connected to the internet.

#35 1 year ago

It’s pretty tin hat to think people are hacking them.

haha! Vulnerability testing today is as automated as many other computer programs. Your adversaries are well funded organized crime gangs, not a kid goofing around in her basement.

In one post you said

It's almost like you don't understand that having remote control available to YOU also means the machine is connected to the internet and available to every automated test from https://www.shodan.io

If you're asking for a feature you should be aware of both the risks and the rewards so you can make an informed decision.

#36 1 year ago

haha! Vulnerability testing today is as automated as many other computer programs. Your adversaries are well funded organized crime gangs, not a kid goofing around in her basement.
In one post you said

It's almost like you don't understand that having remote control available to YOU also means the machine is connected to the internet and available to every automated test from https://www.shodan.io
If you're asking for a feature you should be aware of both the risks and the rewards so you can make an informed decision.

Remote access to a pinball machine is not a high value target.

Personal information for identity theft and credit cards, or access to systems that contain that data are the things that malicious hackers are most interested in. That, or something that has strategic value in some way.

Additionally, most security breaches these days are typically caused by phishing and trickery, or poor password practices, not necessarily exploiting security vulnerabilities.

#37 1 year ago

In one post you said

So a well funded hacking ring decides to start hacking pinball machines for what purpose? I am having a hard time imagining this scenario in any real life situation.

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

So a well funded hacking ring decides to start hacking pinball machines for what purpose? I am having a hard time imagining this scenario in any real life situation.

The thing is that most hacking done is automated, like a robot trying out what its got on a huge number of different IP-adresses. Thats how most stuff is compromised, not because of targeted attack.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

They do make shrouded type padlocks that are uncuttable. Seems like a problem that could be solved if someone wanted to.

Extremely skeptical of “uncuttable” padlocks

This sounds analogous to “Unhackable network” claims - have you seen the advancement in battery powered cutting tools?

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

They do make shrouded type padlocks that are uncuttable.

Freeze it, tap it with a hammer. Breaks like glass.

Anything you can do only keeps an honest person honest. A crook can get through anything you can think up or make. They do that for a living. You only do it once.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

a well funded hacking ring decides to start hacking pinball machines for what purpose?

Substitute the phrase “internet connected device” for “pinball machine” and it will be more clear.

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

The first hack was done as a prank.

Might have malicious intent. Might be as simple to see if it can be done.

#43 1 year ago

A padlock recessed deep inside a 6" pipe casing would cause most to look for greener pastures IMHO.

#44 1 year ago

Substitute the phrase “internet connected device” for “pinball machine” and it will be more clear.

So how does hacking it benefit the hackers? Not disagreeing with you, just trying to understand.

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

A padlock recessed deep inside a 6" pipe casing would cause most to look for greener pastures IMHO.

That is the key. Make it hard enough so they go elsewhere. Or what ever you are protecting isn't worth their time. The average home owner won't attract a safe cracker.

Quoted from Tomass:

So how does hacking it benefit the hackers? Not disagreeing with you, just trying to understand.

No idea what they can come up with. If they try. Who ever thought hackers would plant bugs in thousands of computers and use them like a super computer.

And again. Some might try it just to see if it can be done. Or for fun. Or they may have figured a use we don't know about yet.

Watch Youtube videos of the hacker convention in Las Vegas. I don't believe any system is 100% safe.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

So how does hacking it benefit the hackers?

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from oldbaby:

I just meant don't discuss the political angle too much.

You actually mean, do not discuss, the cause of 96.85% of the degradation of civilization.

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

how does hacking it benefit the hackers?

Every connected device is part of the IoT- Internet of Things. There are literally tens of millions of these devices all over the world. The commonality of being connected means they are accessible, and not always to only the 'proper' entity.

If you're a bad actor and notice your automated scan shows a few thousand machines connected to Stern Pinball Inc your next move is see if you can gain access. If you can, you sell that access to the highest bidder.

That bidder will then try to monetize that access. Maybe the machines join a botnet that gets rented out to help with DDoS attacks. Maybe they brick the machines for ransom. Maybe crypto-coin mining. It depends what the vulnerability is and what's available for the platform.

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

[quoted image]

That one happened because Union Pacific cut their spending on security. Notably:

"But legislators, law enforcement and former Union Pacific employees contend that the company does not provide enough officers, fencing and other protections to prevent crimes around its 275 miles of rail tracks in L.A. County."

"Unfortunately, Union Pacific Railroad does little to secure or lock those trains,” said LAPD Deputy Chief Al Labrada, who oversees Central Bureau and worked as a Hollenbeck captain."

Union Pacific have since backtracked and now say "“We’ve got our arms around it,” he said. “We’ve cleaned up the area, and we’re going to be enhancing security.”

A bit late but it is what it is. If you cut security to save money then you increase the chances of an incident, that's how it works with criminals and high value targets be it an airport, a bank, or cargo. They took a chance, cut security and paid the price.

Quoted from Methos:

Since it crosses state lines I wonder if it becomes a federal matter. Then again it probably has to be a seriously substantial theft for federal law enforcement to care.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Freeze it, tap it with a hammer. Breaks like glass.
Anything you can do only keeps an honest person honest. A crook can get through anything you can think up or make. They do that for a living. You only do it once.

I can make short work of any lock with a gas powered chop saw or a battery operated cut off wheel.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
Armor and blades
€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/train-heist-stolen-star-wars-premium-serial-342175c and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.