Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ZEN
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Hello Pinsiders… I have an insurance question;

I’m planning on bringing 5-6 pinballs to the Pin-A-Go-Go in Dixon, CA event this May 17th weekend, in a large 16’ enclosed trailer. The combined value of these games are well over $20,000.

I called my insurance agent at State Farm today. He said they are not covered either with my auto coverage or with my home owners insurance. He said there is no coverage for “upset or collision” on the games. He mentioned State Farm has a “Personal Article Floater Policy” for specialty items like jewelry, art, fur and probably pinballs.

I’m very concerned that in an unlikely event I lose the trailer, or I’m involved in an accident… all my games are toast.
    Do you have any feedback or input?

#2 9 years ago

$20K, I'd insure them. Somebody runs into you, you are screwed.

People here might have inexpensive insurance ideas.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

I think there is a separate rider, or whatever they are called, for cargo or towed items.

#4 9 years ago

If you rent a truck, you can add insurance.

Also, I believe the show specifically says that they want the big trucks coming from Sac, south bay and the east bay to get full coverage. Check with whomever is bringing up the east bay truck to see if they still have room.

#5 9 years ago

I have had a personal property floater rider from State Farm in the past. Fairly inexpensive on an annual basis.

Add a rider to your policy, pay it and then cancel it after you are home (if you don't want to keep it) for a pro-rated refund. 5 minutes on the phone with your agent.

#7 9 years ago

Kerry,
    Collectibles Insurance services is about the best. I have friends that insure there oil and gas collectibles.They will cover your games not only at home but also when traveling to shows and all you have to do is give them a dollar amount that you want coverage on. Reasonable rates .

Keep it at 55 mph see you at the show!

Rob

#8 9 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'm not renting a truck as I have the use of my buddies beautiful enclosed trailer with ramp & straps.

I know the East Bay pinball group has a truck. I actually brought my games there with them, last year. However, I'll have 2 NIB games, this time with me, and not sure "if" I'll bring them in the event. I was thinking maybe a large sign on the trailer "For Sale or Trade; NIB....".

I called Collectibles Ins. Co this morning. I left a message and hopefully hear back today. I post a follow up message here after I do.

Thanks!

#9 9 years ago

Last year when I was leaving I noticed a guy w/his girl and a u-haul trailer w/pins. He had forgotten to lock the back and was having a yard sale of parts fly out. I drove by him quick and told him he had forgotten to lock the back. Lucky for him no pins were damaged.
    DON'T forget to lock the back and I'm glad your bringin some of you doubles out.

#10 9 years ago

Paul,

That was my daughter and I. And thank you so much for getting my attention. Not too much lost in that incident, thanks to you! Hit me up for a beer and pins at my place any time!

#11 9 years ago

I think it all depends on your Insurance Company. When I moved a few months back my agent told me that I was covered for 10% of my personal property limit (on my homeowners policy) while in transport. In my case I had $175K in personal property insurance, so I just made sure not to load up more than $17.5K in machines/property per trailer load.-I only had about a 20 mile move so I could make multiple trips. My insurance is through Acuity for reference sake. Still probably not a bad idea to get collector's insurance through just to be on the safe side.

#12 9 years ago

Glenn,
    Glad everything was ok. I'll hit you up for that beer sometime. Thanks for bringing the pins

#13 9 years ago

Just get a rider added on your current policy and then cancel when back home. It will be prorated for the days you have it. Should be pretty cheap.

#14 9 years ago

wow that is sad to hear.... might wanna start looking for another insurance provider if the pins are a main thing for you!

#15 9 years ago

I contacted Collectibles Insurance Co. today. They have $20,000 (coverage at my home) for $112 year. That includes $20,000 for them being transported. I really don't want to pay $112 .

I'm in a bind, as I want to bring these games, but don't want to dish out huge $$$ for additional insurance. I'm going to check back with my Insurance carrier State Farm and see what they can offer.

#16 9 years ago

Please report back with what you hear from State Farm. I use them for home insurance as well, and I am curious what they have to offer. I need to make sure my coverage is sufficient.

I played around a bit with the online estimator at Collectibles insurance, and it seems to be around $50-$60 per $10,000 of coverage. I was hoping it scaled a little better than that. $30,000 is $173.

#17 9 years ago

112 is pretty fair for 20000! I mean thats coverage under 10 bucks a month!

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from rollinover:

112 is pretty fair for 20000! I mean thats coverage under 10 bucks a month!

I agree... however, my entire collection $100+k is already covered thru my home owners police with State Farm. I just loose my coverage if they leave (transported to PAGG). So, the $112 pinball insurance, is primarily to drive 100 miles round trip for the weekend.

#19 9 years ago

I'm surprise to hear that. I have All State and got into an accident towing my race car home from track...I hit a deer and I ended up bouncing off the guard rail. The damage to the car on the trailer wasn't covered because it was an 'uninsured motor vehicle' but everything else was. The trailer...4 wheeler...tools...winch...hell..they even covered the grill that got destroyed. Everything was replaced...

I was living at the parent house at the time and they had a different insurance company for their home owners..so it was all my auto insurance

I'd probably start nosing around for a different insurance company

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

So, the $112 pinball insurance, is primarily to drive 100 miles round trip for the weekend.

Will they not let you cancel afterwards and get a pro-rated refund?

#21 9 years ago

I'd ask someone else at the insurance company. I sell home insurance and know for a fact that with my company your personal property is covered at 100% while being transported. The 10% rule only applies to property at a second residence location. That said I'd probably insure them thru CollectInsure.com just because it wouldn't count as a home owners insurance claim if anything did happen.

#22 9 years ago

Read the policy, most have some sort of coverage for this. Likewise, many agents don't fully know the full details of many of the products they sell.

It could be that you have coverage already.

#23 9 years ago

Here's what I learned when I called my Statefarm agent:

I know it covers it if the truck is in an accident, your pin is stolen, or damaged by weather. Damage from mishandling/packing is probably something that a personal articles policy would cover...Accidental damage is covered to my knowledge. I have one on my wife's engagement and wedding ring...If anything were to happen to either for any reason (like if she dropped it down the sink), it would be covered for more than it's worth at this point.

I would definitely call your insurance. They won't know the answer, but have them look into it...Like, politely demand that they do. They'll get you answers.

So basically, if you're driving and fall asleep and hit a tree, it's your fault and NOT covered. However, if you're driving and get hit by another vehicle, it IS covered. She said that as long as another vehicle is involved, accidents are covered.

If someone breaks into your trailer and steals all of your games, it is also covered.

Accidental damage SOUNDED like it was covered - but in order to make your deductible worth it, you'd have to drop it down a flight of stairs or something, ha.

Just my 2 cents.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from sed6:

I'd ask someone else at the insurance company. I sell home insurance and know for a fact that with my company your personal property is covered at 100% while being transported. The 10% rule only applies to property at a second residence location. That said I'd probably insure them thru CollectInsure.com just because it wouldn't count as a home owners insurance claim if anything did happen.

^^ This. IMHO the State Farm guy does not want exposure like that and/or does not really know they are covered and is being defensive to cover his ass. You can check it and I would, but unless you have some oddball policy I would say "covered" during transport. You could call STate Farm 1800 help line and get more accurate answers, maybe. You could also check with another State Farm agent - being sure not to mention your actual agent.

That being said - $112 is ridiculously low for that. No reason to buy double coverage though if you find out you are good.

#25 9 years ago

Thanks for the input. I realize $112/yr is fairly low for $20k of coverage. However, with that added cost of $112, plus gas, bridge toll, plus time off work, food, lodging and all... it quickly adds up.

Good tip...I will call another State Farm agent and run it by them.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

That being said - $112 is ridiculously low for that. No reason to buy double coverage though if you find out you are good.

I agree.

For the cost of a single ramp to have all your games covered honestly sounds like fair price.

#27 9 years ago

My state farm agent says my games are covered during transit through my homeowners policy. This thread inspired me to check.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

My state farm agent says my games are covered during transit through my homeowners policy. This thread inspired me to check.

super cool of u to check and chime in! sounds like he may need to talk to another agent!!!

#29 9 years ago

My State Farm agent insists they are not covered if they leave my home. I really hate to buy additional coverage for this weekend event. I'm very frustrated. I didn't get a chance to call another State Farm company to discuss it. I'll post update tomorrow.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

How about my games when you transport them? LOL

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

How about my games when you transport them? LOL

You're on your own unless you transfer ownership to me first

#32 9 years ago

What is the deductible if you suffer a loss on this $112.00 collectibles policy? Do they cover replacement cost or do they use the old "Depreciaton scale"?

You know my line; Insurance Companies are your friend, until something goes wrong.

#33 9 years ago

keep in mind a few things:
    - ins is regulated by the states, meaning most companies have to write their general policies the same, coverages are generally the same and you can pay for coverages a la carte so to speak...in certain places....
    - Your personal property is covered anywhere in the world for the most part, but for very specific things, under your HO policy, to say its not covered if they leave your house may not be correct,There are certain perils your "things" can be covered for. example, burns up in a fire covered, someone pukes on your machine, not covered,, but pins on a vehicle probably negates both HO and auto. you will need specific coverage for such, hence the boutique firms who underwrite certain special policies as noted. If you use your pins for any type of business purpose your homeowners will not cover, you would need business ins... and so on and so on... your policy will state exactly what type of perils they are covered for(fire, theft, water, etc), it is very specific.. and all the insurers in your area likely have very similar products/coverages

#34 9 years ago

I have gone to Pin-A-Go-Go every year for the past 7-8. We (my son & I) have always brought 3-4 games. This year we are planning on bringing probably 6, maybe 8. The value of our games have gone way up. It's actually its closer to $25,000.

I have never really considered the "what if" we are involved in an accident. It could be as simple as a tire blow out, or rear ended, I crash or I swerve and the trailer goes in the ditch and rolls. If this trailer goes over... we all know the cargo is TOAST!

Ironically, this trailer I'm borrowing is beautiful! It's my good buddies go-cart trailer. He usually has $15k+ in go carts, tools, jacks, ramps, +++. I asked him the same question about "his" personal property. He didn't know and was very interested in knowing what I learned.

I'll post more tomorrow.
    Kerry

#35 9 years ago

BTW: I know there are other Pinheads who bring WAY more games, at a much higher value. My question is; what do they do or have, that I'm missing.

Please chime in.
    Thanks Kerry

#36 9 years ago

Wow this makes us think! Must of us just chance it I guess. No coverage

Rob

#37 9 years ago

Danville to Dixon isn't too far. I'd roll the dice.

#38 9 years ago

I called another State Farm agency today. She said the same thing as my agent. My home owners policy does not cover any transportation of the games. They don't even have a special coverage to offer.

#39 9 years ago

The products are all the same, doesnt change agent to agent, your best bet is with the specialized cov company..

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trailering-my-games-to-pin-a-go-go-20000-my-ins-agent-theyre-not-covered and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.