Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Mudflaps
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

has anyone ever traded a pin for a set time? i.e.. trade this guy on pinside my WPT for his BSD,but for 6 months. come july we trade back (or not if we both agree). realize the risk, just wondering if anyone has done it with success? (i.e. got their pin back in same shape as when you traded!)

#2 10 years ago

I know some people do that but with friends. Never really heard of strangers doing this.
    Due to the risk I assume.

#3 10 years ago

Yeah, it would depend on who, and how far away. Are we talking local or actually shipping? There are certainly people I know that I would be open to that idea if it came up, but someone only tangentially on pinside I would hesitate, but maybe that's just me.

#4 10 years ago

Temp trades are scary and I won't do them, even with friends. My buddy did one and got his TF LE back with rusty ramp flaps. Another time he took a HS2 in on trade and it developed a nasty problem. Then he felt obligated to fix it since it wasn't doing it when he got it.

#5 10 years ago

I wouldn't do temporary trades at all.

#6 10 years ago

I loan and trade games all the time. But only with people I know and trust. If you have to come here and ask, you shouldn't do the trade.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I loan and trade games all the time. But only with people I know and trust.

Same ! Having third parties knowing about the deal is not a bad idea.
    I am currently hosting a pin which is not mine : Embryon... love it.
    I also made sure my family knows this pin belongs to someone else... just in case. Accidents happen.

#8 10 years ago

I've swapped games with a buddy. We trust each other though....and we will swap them back after a few months

#9 10 years ago

oh, I did not even think about how trading or loaning a pin could be advantageous. I have my friends Funhouse on loan. When I got it, it was non working. I did a full playfield teardown, replaced ramp, reconditioned Rudys head, figured out a ball lock issue, fixed a switch column issue and now its working and I get to enjoy it for a while. He payed for all parts, and I charged nothing for labor since I enjoy doing that. Worked out well for all involved.

#10 10 years ago

I love the idea, however, I would be very cautious. DTA!!!!!!

#11 10 years ago

i think its a great idea actually, but its the old- the road to hell is paved with good intentions. sometimes some people dont treat there own stuff very well, and some times some people have a rental car mentality. its just the human factor involved. but in theory it an awsome to exp a new game.

#12 10 years ago

I'm really interested in this thread. A friend of mine and I are big pinheads and we love to go to each others home and play the pins. Only problem is we live 2.5 hours from each other. You can't just stop by after work and play a few games. It's more like go for a day or two. Plus, living in Iowa is nice, but pins are few and far between. That being said, I think it might be nice to be able to swap games with somebody for 6 months or so. You would be able to play it enough to know whether you would like to own it or not, and it would give you variety and spice up your lineup without forking over the cash to do it. I understand that there are risks involved but at least it's an option. Any thoughts???? Anyone????

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from BigB:

I'm really interested in this thread. A friend of mine and I are big pinheads and we love to go to each others home and play the pins. Only problem is we live 2.5 hours from each other. You can't just stop by after work and play a few games. It's more like go for a day or two. Plus, living in Iowa is nice, but pins are few and far between. That being said, I think it might be nice to be able to swap games with somebody for 6 months or so. You would be able to play it enough to know whether you would like to own it or not, and it would give you variety and spice up your lineup without forking over the cash to do it. I understand that there are risks involved but at least it's an option. Any thoughts???? Anyone????

ya i think for you being that far apart its a great idea, also you dont have to do 6 months maybe 1 or 2 might be be good- and it you have machines setting around you know you wont play too much anyways why not give it a try

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from BigB:

A good friend you have known for a long time? Why not. If you are both hesitant establish some rules. Anything breaks while pin is at said persons house, they need to fix it. Establish values of each pin you both agree on in case of some horrible unforeseen accident. Only swap pins near each others value rather than trade your Gilligans island for his Attack From Mars. Maybe something breaks while you have it, but there is ALWAYS that risk with any pin, the pin you traded out could have broken in some way if you kept it at home. If you are good friends, know each other well, and establish clear guidelines I say why not.

#15 10 years ago

I have done this.
    I traded my Cyclone for a WPT for one year with a good friend of mine.
    I would do it again

It is a nice way to enjoy a new machine,without having to purchase it.

In the end we traded back,and later he ended up purchasing my Cyclone

#16 10 years ago

I'm out of town for several months and let my buddy have one of my games while I'm gone. Never thought twice about it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trading-pins-for-a-certain-time-period and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.