(Topic ID: 151673)

Trading out a classic...how to decide?

By VolunteerPin

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

#1 8 years ago

I have a pretty nice WMS IJ and I find that for me the game play doesn't get my blood pumping like my other modern day pins. No doubt it is fun but just in a different way I guess. Part of that equation is probably that I stink at pinball and struggle with the tight shots and just don't have very many good games on it.

When I read about some other blood-pumping newer games like GOT or TWD (have played a pro TWD on location and never a GOT) it makes me wonder if I am somehow 'missing out'.

If you look at my history I have traded/sold some other classics and out of them I think the only one I would have back is MM. At this point with the playfield insert issues on MMR and the fact that a buddy has one that I can play I don't think I'd go for it again. I love all the other pins in my collection if that tells you anything about my tastes.

Just curious to know how some of you others decide to trade stuff out.

#2 8 years ago

I'd keep them all if I could.

Some factors for me:
-Lack of pin funds so trading or selling is often necessary to get another pin.
-Trade can be more attractive to the person who has a pin I want.
-The most "stale" (least played pin) in the collection is often up for consideration to sell or trade off. This is often one that has been owned for some time, therefore it has been played and had my time with it and so becomes time for something fresh.

#3 8 years ago

I just know its time, and once that thought enters my mind its only a matter of weeks before I sell it, usually based on having finished the wizard mode or with the older stuff I've just played it out and ready to move on. I think I'm finally kinda settled with the "keepers" I want and now I'm going to have 1 or 2 games that I buy regardless of cosmetics as long as she's solid and plays well and flip and trade. Ofcourse I wish I had unlimited space and funds and then I would keep everything, selling pins, its a process.

#4 8 years ago

I had the same experience with IJ, I tend to like more open playfields. I traded it and I've never looked back with regret.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Just curious to know how some of you others decide to trade stuff out.

I tend to burn through machines quickly. Part of it is how much I have in it vs what it is worth. Another part is how difficult it would be to replace with one in the same condition. How much play does it receive compared to other games in my collection?

I just finished shopping my potc last week. Need to fix a few issues, but already debating trading it. Had this thing since November and just now getting to play it, but it isn't doing it for me. STTNG on the other hand has been playable for over a month. I debate trading it, but go back and forth because it is in nice shape and would be tough to replace with a similar one.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I tend to burn through machines quickly. Part of it is how much I have in it vs what it is worth. Another part is how difficult it would be to replace with one in the same condition. How much play does it receive compared to other games in my collection?
I just finished shopping my potc last week. Need to fix a few issues, but already debating trading it. Had this thing since November and just now getting to play it, but it isn't doing it for me. STTNG on the other hand has been playable for over a month. I debate trading it, but go back and forth because it is in nice shape and would be tough to replace with a similar one.

looking for a potc, just saying

In reference to the post, i run through games quickly. Sometimes i end up having games 3 and 4 times. I think everyone is different and alot of it just depends on how much room you have and what your pin budget is (as well as how diverse your lineup is) Do you have enough games to play others long enough to miss playing another etc. . I never hang on to games thinking i will miss them because 99% of the time you can get them again fairly easily. However i have finally found at least one keeper in gotle. I

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from happilymarried05:

Will probably try and trade it. Bigger problem is figuring out what I'd want to trade it for in return. Another aspect of letting a game go in a small collection is figuring out the appropriate replacement. Some games are great, but suck when paired with other games. Right now TSPP or SM would be good, because my other two games are short. Flipside I don't think I'd want IM because only LOTR would be long.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from happilymarried05:

In reference to the post, i run through games quickly. Sometimes i end up having games 3 and 4 times. I think everyone is different and alot of it just depends on how much room you have and what your pin budget is (as well as how diverse your lineup is) Do you have enough games to play others long enough to miss playing another etc. . I never hang on to games thinking i will miss them because 99% of the time you can get them again fairly easily. However i have finally found at least one keeper in gotle. I

Hearing so many good things about GOT and TWDLE is part of what prompted this thread. If I could trade out for a premium/LE in either of those titles I'd be hard pressed not to do it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Glendale, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 26.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 85.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trading-out-a-classichow-to-decide and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.