(Topic ID: 136460)

Trading non-pin related items for machines?

By Capinball

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Slim64
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Driver.jpg
    20150813_194002.jpg
    20150808_180613.jpg
    20150808_180623.jpg
    20150808_180635.jpg
    20150811_180202.jpg
    20150808_180656.jpg
    20150808_180711.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Has anyone on these boards ever traded/bartered for a machine with non-pinball items? If so, just wondering what you traded for what machine. Obviously, legally questionable items need not be revealed. I've got an '01 Odyssey with bad transmission, Cowboys season tickets and discontinued Lego sets(Haunted House, Hogwarts Castle, etc) and I'm just wondering if there's really much movement in the trade world outside of cash for machines or machine(s) for machine(s). Obviously, I could sell my items, get the cash and buy with the money but I've enjoyed reading some other threads but they mainly encompass pin for pin trades.

#2 8 years ago

I've never traded games and I've never traded non-pinball related items for a pinball machine. In my opinion, the subset of people that would be willing to trade their pinball machine for non-pin related items is pretty small. You'd do much better just selling your stuff and then buying a pinball machine.

Obviously, there's always someone out there that's willing to trade their pinball machine for stuff like Cowboys' season tickets but getting those two people to meet so such a trade could happen is going to be very difficult.

Dave

#3 8 years ago

I've traded pins for pins, but never for non-pinball related items. When I've listed games on CL, I've gotten offers to trade one of my pins for jet skis, a chainsaw, furniture and even a boat. It's crazy the types of items some people propose.

I agree with egyptrus. There might be someone out there to trade for non-pin related items, but that subset of the pin community would be very small and targeted. Your chance of finding someone, and within range, is very slim at best. I also think you would be better off selling your non-pin items outright, then buying a pin.

#4 8 years ago

Kudos to egyptrus for being a fellow BSD owner also!!

#5 8 years ago

Keep seeing a lot of people with BSD in their collections on pinside. In all of my time in and out of arcades I don't recall ever seeing one to play. I definitely need to check one out since it's one of the few games I see that seems to be more appreciated as time has passed vs dropping out of relevancy.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Kudos to egyptrus for being a fellow BSD owner also!!

I knew there was something I liked about this guy!

#7 8 years ago

The only time I've seen something like this work was on TV in a reality show. They turned a screwdriver into a house through up-trading over and over. It looked like total bullcrap to me.

Crossing hobby boundaries is hard enough, and you have to find a willing partner in the deal. Although I've traded pins before, I usually sell them and buy the one I want.

Money is the item that is easiest to trade for stuff.

#8 8 years ago

Ive had some very strange trade offers when listing a game on CL but never pulled the trigger on any of them.

#9 8 years ago

Traded a broken Ariens snowblower for a 1971 Hi-Score Pool (worth about $300). Two weeks ago traded Hi-Score Pool for a 2008 Honda Trx 250ex ATV worth $2500. Trading up is very fun and will be either selling the ATV after my daughter is done with it or seeing what I can trade it for.

#10 8 years ago

Have also trade two MAME arcade machines for DMD pins worth way more than I paid for the arcade machines.

#11 8 years ago

So I guess it is feasible...for some people. I considered the chainsaw proposal for one of my EM's, so I could have it on hand in case a potential CL buyer for other games showed up and was unruly.

The chance of someone up-trading from a screwdriver to the Playboy Mansion....nil. From an EM to a DMD game at some point...possible.

And Capinball, you definitely have to check out BSD. The game has become popular, and it is quite difficult compared to other pins with easy shots. Some people like it, some don't. It's definitely popping up in a lot more collections. It is challenging, and who doesn't want blood dripping from their DMD while they play? Awesome freaky audio also, and the pops have cool sounds too. It's just a nice game. I would prefer an actual plunger though.

#12 8 years ago

I've also traded an SS pin for DMD, Party Animal for Lethal Weapon 3.

#13 8 years ago

I just watched the movie again a few months ago on Amazon Instant Video when I was on a Gary Oldman fix for the weekend with The Professional and The Fifth Element. Trade wise, I never seem to end up doing well because I get to emotionally attached to stuff and can't let go. My biggest regret of a failed transaction was when I was in daycare and someone wanted to trade me their mint condition 1961 Roger Maris Topps card for all of the '92 Donruss Diamond King special insert cards I had pulled from the box I had just bought at a show. Yeah, that was a big miss. This was well before his record had been broken too.

PoMC nice trading with DMD cabinets. I saw the one my friend just made with a piece of junk computer and was shocked by the small amount of money it cost him to make it. Did you trade those on Craigslist or on here?

#14 8 years ago

I've gone the other way....traded a Space Jam for a Yamaha 4-wheeler.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from Capinball:

PoMC nice trading with DMD cabinets. I saw the one my friend just made with a piece of junk computer and was shocked by the small amount of money it cost him to make it. Did you trade those on Craigslist or on here?

I traded them on CL, but did offer them here...at least one I did. I've always built MAME machines, but these I bought off CL and one was an X-Arcade cabinet run off an original Xbox, modded and MAME installed. The other was a sweet Ultimate Arcade 2 that is JAMMA and can swap in any of those 512-2000 all-in-one JAMMA boards.

I have a MAME machine I put together that I'll be listing soon too.

#16 8 years ago

Dream Arcade 32 inch, comes with 100s of games. Looking to sell or trade for pin.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/23120

#17 8 years ago

I have a reef savvy reef tank with tunze pumps and ghl lighting and control to trade

#18 8 years ago

I have a 2008 Honda TRX 250EX ATV for sale or trade.

20150808_180711.jpg20150808_180711.jpg
    20150808_180656.jpg20150808_180656.jpg
    20150811_180202.jpg20150811_180202.jpg
    20150808_180635.jpg20150808_180635.jpg
    20150808_180623.jpg20150808_180623.jpg
    20150808_180613.jpg20150808_180613.jpg
    20150813_194002.jpg20150813_194002.jpg

#19 8 years ago

I have a large collection of man toys that go boom. I'd trade some for a nice MB.

#20 8 years ago

I had an x-files on CL and got an offer to trade for guns. Thought no don't need your junk. But reading further he owned a gun store and I asked if everything on his website was available for trade. He also gave full asking price for the pin in trade. I now have a colt 380 AR.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from Imeh:

I have a large collection of man toys that go boom. I'd trade some for a nice MB.

Same here but Twilight Zone for me please.

#22 8 years ago

I traded Pins for a 1998 Corvette, then later traded the corvette for Pins!!

Driver.jpgDriver.jpg

#23 8 years ago

Traded a pin for a C4 corvette. Traded lethal man toys for a pinball.

#24 8 years ago

I've tried trading watches for pins. It has never worked out.

#25 8 years ago

I've seen on cl where they list what they'd trade pin for or partial trade I missed out on partial trade of pool table (which wife wants gone) and cash for pin

#26 8 years ago

I traded a PC with celeron 300 CPU for Johnny Mnemonic pinball back in 2002.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinsOnly:

I traded Pins for a 1998 Corvette, then later traded the Corvette for Pins!!

Driver.jpg

The best color!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trading-non-pin-related-items-for-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.