(Topic ID: 125040)

"Traded" my Abra Ca Dabra for a Strange World!

By swampfire

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by presqueisle1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4163.JPG
IMG_6777.JPG
IMG_6774.JPG
IMG_6773.JPG
IMG_6772.JPG
IMG_6770.JPG
IMG_6769.JPG
pinball 2013 002.JPG

#1 4 years ago

After enjoying my very nice ACD for about a year, I decided to sell it. A new collector called me the day after I posted it. He had a T2, but his 16-year-old son really wanted an EM (cool kid!). They came and checked it out, and I delivered it to them last week. The very same day, I got the call I'd been hoping for. I told someone last year to call me if he ever sold his Strange World, and he did. We know and like each other, so it was very easy deal.

Long story short, Strange World is now sitting where ACD had been, and I have $200 in my pocket. It has a perfect backglass and NOS plastics, good cabinet and coin door. The playfield has some mild ball swirl but no paint loss. The play meter reads 52,252 (low-ish plays?).

I feel really good about trading the #1 EM for the #103 EM. I prefer the layout and game play on Strange World, and I know it should be easy to sell if it ever comes to that. For now I'm really hooked on completing that grid.

#2 4 years ago

Hey Swampfire, post some photos, when you have a chance.

#3 4 years ago

I'm not a fan of the playfield clutter on ACD so I would have done that trade too. Game rankings don't mean anything to me.

Steve

#4 4 years ago

Lucky you,i've miss one for cheap last year.Strange World is probably one of my favorite Gottlieb EM machine ever

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

playfield clutter on ACD

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but if not, explain? What clutter?

#6 4 years ago

Abra is rated higher as it has drop targets and a bit more complex rule set. I have owned/played both. Strange World is fun, but would not be a keeper in a small collection. If you have the room, it has awesome artwork-IMO. Strange World will command a higher price if you ever sell, so you did well.

#7 4 years ago

Anything in the way of DT's is clutter to me. Sorry, should have said pop bumper locations, they appear to be just thrown on there. You can't do any back flipping on that playfield to knock down the DT's. Eh, different taste in games I think.

Steve

Quoted from Aurich:

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but if not, explain? What clutter?

#8 4 years ago

I liked ACD a lot, but I got tired of the ball heading SDTM so often after making the 1 and 4 top rollovers. I'll post pics of SW tomorrow. I think it'll make a great Pin Golf hole: "Complete 1-2-3-4 of any color", or "light any 6 numbers in the grid".

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I liked ACD a lot, but I got tired of the ball heading SDTM so often after making the 1 and 4 top rollovers.

Nudge nudge nudge!

Strange World is one of the coolest looking EMs ever made though.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I told someone last year to call me if he ever sold his Strange World

Hey, PM me if you ever decide to sell your Strange World...

#11 4 years ago

These Two.
pinball 2013 002.JPG

#12 4 years ago

lucky you!
post some pics

#13 4 years ago

Congrats on the pickup! I've never owned an EM, but this one has been on my radar along with a few others. (Atlantis, Abra Ca Dabra)

Quoted from swampfire:

I know it should be easy to sell if it ever comes to that.

I'd be very happy to buy this when you're finished with it.

#14 4 years ago

When I finish my "EM row", it will be Jumping Jack, Strange World and Centigrade 37. I think that will hold for a while. I need to finish touching up the playfield on C37...I keep hoping Wade Krause will announce a repro.

#15 4 years ago

Still bummed about the ACD, should'da been mine long ago I'll never get that game...

On a happier note, congrats on the new game. I'll look forward to playing it in a few weeks

#16 4 years ago

Pics as requested. I'll post much better pics once the game is out of my home theater and cleaned up a bit.

IMG_6769.JPG IMG_6770.JPG IMG_6772.JPG IMG_6773.JPG IMG_6774.JPG IMG_6777.JPG
#17 4 years ago

It looks great.
Be careful with that upper ball arch, when cleaning and waxing the playfield. On my pin there was a burred area just inches away from the rebound rubber. The ball can smack the arch from a shot from the right flipper. After nicking my finger, I removed the arch and removed the peened/burred metal.

#18 4 years ago

That's a nice example!

#19 4 years ago

Who did the artwork on Strange World? It is amazing!

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Who did the artwork on Strange World? It is amazing!

"For The Win", Who was Gordon Morison?

Gordon Morison did the Art work. John Osborne did the Design.

#22 4 years ago

Looks very nice swampfire

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Anything in the way of DT's is clutter to me.

You can hit all the drops, the bumpers aren't in the way. I do like how you have to come razor close though to hit the bottom drop target. If you could hit all drops with both flippers, including back flipper shots...then that WOULD be a wide open pf. I think most like those lower bumpers. Gives a unique play.

#24 4 years ago

Oh, and beautiful looking Strange World. Groovy!

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

I think most like those lower bumpers. Gives a unique play.

The 2 Pop Bumpers on Abra Ca Dabra can be your friend. Now, those 2 red translucent lane guides just above the flippers are not friendly.
Here are the major tricks to Abra Ca Dabra. Hitting the lit centre Bulls Eye with out creating a SDTM drain. Hitting the ball in motion if it is range of the flippers. If you wait for a rebound off of those red lane guides the ball will most likely drain down the centre.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

That's a nice example!

Thanks. I'd like to retouch the white in the grid eventually, but I'm pretty happy with it for now. It's a real change of pace from the "Italian bottom" most pins have.

#27 4 years ago

The two pop bumpers and kicker location were my friend. I hate the 1 and 4 lane ball drain as well. With the proper setup you can have less house balls. But it's also on how you slightly nudge and get your skill shot off on. I have never played Strange World so I cannot comment on it. I burned myself out on ACD because it was the only pin I had for a long while. It got old after about 6-8 months. I love the artwork though.

#28 4 years ago

I'm nice sure why Gordon put that big ugly grid in the middle of his masterpiece. Seems like the instruction card could have helped there!

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Thanks. I'd like to retouch the white in the grid eventually, but I'm pretty happy with it for now. It's a real change of pace from the "Italian bottom" most pins have.

One of the nicest original games I have seen. Grid is very good compared to most examples I have seen.

Personally it is only original once and if you ever think of selling it, leaving it original probably best.

Just keep it nicely waxed

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Hitting the ball in motion if it is range of the flippers. If you wait for a rebound off of those red lane guides the ball will most likely drain down the centre.

Yes, yes, yes. I've really learned on Abra Ca Dabra that you can't play it patiently, you need to keep that ball in motion. You're not going to get that awesome dead flipper bounce pass, it's going to drain and you're going to feel stupid for not flipping when you had a chance.

I was tempted to pick up the local Strange World to go next to my Abra Ca Dabra, that shot above of the pair of them looks so sweet.

#31 4 years ago

That is one hell of a trade, Strange World can command up to 2k!

#32 4 years ago

I already kinda regret selling ACD, but you can't keep them all. I'm trying to focus mostly on early SS, especially Bally and Stern. I need more room!

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I already kinda regret selling ACD, but you can't keep them all. I'm trying to focus mostly on early SS, especially Bally and Stern. I need more room!

I heard that. My Abra Ca Dabra is staying, but I'd give up my Sky Jump to fit an early SS Bally.

#34 4 years ago

The story for my wife (and rationalization to myself) was that I was replacing ACD with Mata Hari. Similar drop target layout, but very very different games. Both have some of the best art in pinball.

#35 4 years ago

So weird...I have a T2 and a 16 year old son who is into EM's and just picked up an ACD from a super nice local collector who was getting a Strange World.

We are loving the ACD.

IMG_4163.JPG
#36 4 years ago

I'm really glad it went to a good home. So cool to see teenagers who love EMs (my son likes them too).

#37 4 years ago

Very true...out of all the video games and pins in the gameroom, my nephews bar-none favorite game was Abra Ca Dabra.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Strange World will command a higher price if you ever sell, so you did well.

With only 675 Strange World games made, does make it rare.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

That Gordon Morison, who did 53 games!

More like 147 give or take a few.

http://ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=advanced&ppl=Gordon%20Morison

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

With only 675 Strange World games made, does make it rare.

<cough cough, ahem>

Team One / 650 units, an Abcd with extra 'hidden' targets!

#41 4 years ago

Yeah, but the art and theme kinda sucks, especially compared to Abra Ca Dabra, and I'm not a fan of add a balls, makes the game drag. So Abra Ca Dabra is the winner for me!

#42 4 years ago

Yeah, well chics like Team One better, so there.

The theme worked for me. I had just been to Portugal while the World Cup was going on. My 10 year old boy bought two Christian Ronaldo jerseys and played soccer on the beaches for a week. We got caught up in the Portuguese pride and started appreciating soccer a little more, not enough to join a team, but enough to buy a soccer ball and soccer themed pinball!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 110.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pin Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside