IMG_9101 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7946 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7951 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7949 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2711 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2699 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2700 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2701 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ultimategameroom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Here is a great book on the subject by coin-op legend Richard Bueschel.
amazon.com link »[quoted image]

That’s a great book!

I have a few and this is my favorite!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Blake:

Picked up this Groetchen Tavern a couple months ago and finished restoring a few weeks ago. My first pure mechanical trade stimulator/slot. I admittedly knew very little in regards to machines of this era (and still do). Other than the fact that I wanted to own some. I love the history of coin op in general and trade stimulators are a huge part of that. Truly 1000's of machines to look for of all different styles of play. Skill stop, Allwin, Horse Racing, Poker, Slot, Plinko, exc.
This was a $100 buy in what was relayed as non-working condition. "Tavern" is a relatively rare trade stimulator that started demanding interest in the 80's-90's. As such there have been forgeries. Thankfully I did my homework before hand and now own an authentic example. Many Groetchen trade stimulators accept all denominations of American coins (1,5,10,25). "Tavern" accepts only nickels. The machine rewards a gumball or a piece of 'ball gum' as was said in the early twentieth century, upon pulling the arm and cycling the reels. This was intended to help garner the attention of customers and more importantly skirt the laws against gambling. Although missing on my machine, the 'Awards Card', mounted to the front of the machine would display winning combinations and there associated payouts. "Tavern" was unique in that its reels depicted beer steins, bottled beers, and whiskey instead of cigarettes and fruits. Upon playing a winning combination you would call over an attendant as this was a deferred payout trade stimulator/slot. They would first look for a played nickel in the coin window on the side of the machine. Verifying it was indeed 5 cents and not a washer/slug. Then check your winning combination against the 'Awards Card' and payout the type/number of drinks won. This is where the term 'Trade' in 'Trade Stimulator' plays a role. In reality many folks who were playing these machines were indeed seeking a payout of cash upon winning. Instead of just being rewarded with a free beer or whiskey the player would be offered either a drink or cash payout. There would be a monetary value associated with each winning combination as is seen with slots of the modern era. The payout was deemed a trade for the drink he/she had one. The attendant would then clear the coin window by pushing a button on the back door of the machine to insure that no future customer could claim a previous winning combination and nickel played. All this to disguise the fact that gambling was indeed taking place inside of a bar, saloon, drug store, or cigar shop.
I have since found the correct reproduction 'Awards Card'.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is very cool!
I’ve seen quite a few trade stims over the almost 30 years that I’ve collected pinball and other coin op machines but I don’t recall seeing that model. Really nice that it has the original reel strips.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ultimategameroom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trade-stimulators?tu=ultimategameroom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.