• Latest reply 12 years ago by Skyemont
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Fishtales_Playfield.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Alright guys. Need alot of help here. I love my IJ. I responded to a guy who had a pin for sale on CL about a week ago. We started talking and he asked what i had in my collection. I told him i had a IJ (not for sale). He told me he has wanted one for a long time and would be willing to give me his FishTales and $3,600 cash. Why am i thinking about this. This should be a NO right? Need some feedback.. Thanks guys..

#2 12 years ago

Don't do it. It seems like you'd be coming out ahead money wise about $1K, but then you have all the effort of the trade, and then all the patience of finding the IJ and then selling the FT.

Unless you need the money, you obviously love the IJ, keep the IJ.

#3 12 years ago

I would def do it! well worth it and fish tales is a good game. But if you absolutely love the IJ keep it. They are a bit tough to get sometimes so you may have to wait for another to come up or pay premium prices for another one.

#4 12 years ago

That's a fat deal for you.

Take it, sell the Fish tales. Now you have $5,600 to buy a much nicer pin.

#5 12 years ago

You normally can't get $2K for FT unless it's unfaded and no insert wear.

#6 12 years ago

ft and 3600! that sounds like a screaming deal to me, (but i am not a huge IJ fan)

#7 12 years ago

So he's offering to pay you approximately fair value for your IJ, and then throw in a $1500ish pin in the deal? I honestly do not understand what there is to think about.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

So he's offering to pay you approximately fair value for your IJ, and then throw in a $1500ish pin in the deal? I honestly do not understand what there is to think about.

+1!!

#9 12 years ago

I would go for it. Fish tales flows so well. The only complaint is it's too easy to get multiball, but getting super jackpot is a mission.

#10 12 years ago

It really depends on the condition of each machine. I'm not a huge fan of IJ but like FT its a fun pin. It seems like a good deal for you given the info you provided. This really depends on you. How attached to the IJ are you and how much do you like FT? If you think you are ready to switch it up and wont miss IJ too much then this deal seems like a pretty good way to move on.

#11 12 years ago

I'd trade my IJ if offered that and wouldn't think twice (if I didn't already have FT). Great deal for you.

#12 12 years ago

It's not just a question of whether it is a good deal from a monetary standpoint. If you still love your IJ and don't want to sell, don't! Especially if FT isn't something you are interested in. Then you are just dealing with the hassle of having to sell it, and trying to find something else to replaced your beloved IJ.

If you are getting tired of IJ and see yourself selling in a month or two, it might make sense to sell it now while you have a good offer.

#13 12 years ago

Thanks everyone. Great advice. I do love IJ but thats the only I have. As you all know, having one pic sucks. Don't need the money but just thought i could have $3,600 cash to get something else which i probably could find a nice pin for $3,600 and the fishtales would be just like having a freebee...If i had 3-4 more pins in my collection i would not do it. NO WAY!.. This is very hard for me. A friend told me if i do it i will regret it big time. I hate this. Why can't i just have MM, CC, TOM, IJ, TOTAN, MB, CV and AFM and be done w/ it. This is my thoughts and tell me what you guys think. Hold the guy off for another week. I am going to the NC auction next week. If i find a killer title that i want in my collection, i could just get it and then make the deal w/ this guy. That way when he gives me the $3,600 that will pay for the title i just got and he will give me the fishtales as well.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

You normally can't get $2K for FT unless it's unfaded and no insert wear.

Not where I come from. A 2K FT wouldn't last the night if put up for sale. The middle of Canada is starved silly for pinball machines. If you air drop a pin in the middle of Saskatchewan, you'd be beating off the pinheads from neighbouring provinces with a stick.

Quoted from Skyemont:

Why can't i just have MM, CC, TOM, IJ, TOTAN, MB, CV and AFM and be done w/ it.

Don't get hung up on the "A" list.

#15 12 years ago

I wouldn't do it, as I love IJ and don't think much of FT, but the value is a good deal.

I second not getting hung up on the A list.

#16 12 years ago

DON'T DO IT.You are just restless right now.Your IJ is about as nice as you will ever find with LED's.You can find a FT in your sleep.If you let IJ go you will never find another in this condition.Set back and take a deep breath.IJ is a notch in your belt that you can be proud of.Be patient and wait for the next big boy to come.Build your collection around IJ.

#17 12 years ago

Unless the condition of the FT is horrible, you take that deal in a flash. If you sale that FT because your not a fan, you would easily have enough cash to replace that IJ (with an equivalent pin) and play money left over.
Only way I wouldn't do it, is if the IJ was your first pin. The first is always the hardest to part with. So basically you have everyone telling you something different.

Goodluck!!!!
The Honch

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from brz:

DON'T DO IT.You are just restless right now.Your IJ is about as nice as you will ever find with LED's.You can find a FT in your sleep.If you let IJ go you will never find another in this condition.Set back and take a deep breath.IJ is a notch in your belt that you can be proud of.Be patient and wait for the next big boy to come.Build your collection around IJ.

+1

#19 12 years ago

That is a heck of a deal, I would take that trade for my IJ, but mine has some fade and some wear.

#20 12 years ago

Thanks guys. This really helps out alot. I just played the IJ for two hours and with all the LED's I installed it just looks too good. The deal is a sweet one but to replace it w/ the same condition IJ i just don't think i will be able to find one as nice. Now if the trade for $3,600 and a NGG or Whitewater i would do it..

#21 12 years ago

Good choice. A nice IJ is hard to find, and for a C pin like fish tales you made a good choice. Finding a nice IJ is tough, they don't turn over like AF or TZ or STTNG.

We all have our price, and yah, $3,600 will buy you a nice pin. But will it buy you're nice IJ back? Probably not. Plus, lot's of FT got played, you didn't state the condition.

Quoted from Skyemont:

Thanks guys. This really helps out alot. I just played the IJ for two hours and with all the LED's I installed it just looks too good. The deal is a sweet one but to replace it w/ the same condition IJ i just don't think i will be able to find one as nice. Now if the trade for $3,600 and a NGG or Whitewater i would do it..

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Good choice. A nice IJ is hard to find, and for a C pin like Fish Tales you made a good choice.

With both IPDB and Pinside ranking it in the top 25, I don't think I can agree with you calling FT a "C".

#23 12 years ago

Thats a good deal. you could pick up another IJ for $4000 and have both.

#24 12 years ago

As long as FT wasn't beat that sounds like a steal of a deal IMHO.

#25 12 years ago

Eh. B game, C game, everyone has their opinions.

Quoted from Firebaall:

With both IPDB and Pinside ranking it in the top 25, I don't think I can agree with you calling FT a "C".

It was a good deal, but I agree with the OP. If the game was a better title than fish tales it might be worth the effort. But is sounds like he would have sold the FT, had no pins for a while while he searched for his next IJ.

#26 12 years ago

totally depends on the FT shape, and your IJ shape. Does sound like a strong offer...seen many IJ go for the 3800 to 4300 range...can't find a FT for less that 1500....IMO you are coming out ahead...but it's just that,my opinion

#27 12 years ago

I am still working w/ the guy. Just spoke w/ him today by email. He wants my IJ real bad. The fishtales in the pics look to be real nice. Of course i will go to his house first to see it. I am 100% positive but based on my emails w/ him, i think I can get him to go up to $4,500 and fishtales. Now guys, i don't think i can pass this up. My IJ is in real good shape. Playfield looks real nice, all LED, lockdown, siderails and coin door in great shape. I would say the fading on my IJ is a 2 out of 5. 5 being really faded. So not too bad. Here is a pic of the playfield of the Fishtales..

Fishtales_Playfield.jpgFishtales_Playfield.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trade-ij-for-ft-cash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.