image9.jpg
image1.jpg
image11.jpg
IMG_20150825_204718.jpg
IMG_20150825_204640.jpg
IMG_20150825_204810.jpg
IMG_20150825_204543.jpg
IMG_20150825_204559.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindude80.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hello All, I'm considering trading my Demo Man for either a Starship Troopers or a Hurricane. I would call my Demo Man a nice condition players game. The cabinet and backbox are decent, the guns are decent, it has a blue Xpin LED DMD in it, some of the inserts are chipped.

I am looking at SST, the cabinet is pretty rough, the left side is planked and a lot of flipper button wear the right side isn't as bad, but faded pretty bad with flipper button wear. The playfield looks decent, waiting on more pics to confirm.

I am also looking at a Hurricane that is supposed to be pretty nice.

My question is given the condition of the SST and lack of popularity of Hurricane would I be making a bad move or should cash be added from seller? I don't plan on keeping either one long term and I think they might possibly be difficult to get rid of when the time comes. What do you think?

Which one should I go for? I watched some vids of Hurricane, it seems neat and "cutesy" and I would probably like it for a little while, but not sure how long it would hold my interest. I've played SST a little before and watched some vids and it seems like it would be a good game for a while.

I have included a few pics of my DM.

IMG_20150825_204559.jpgIMG_20150825_204559.jpg

IMG_20150825_204543.jpgIMG_20150825_204543.jpg

IMG_20150825_204810.jpgIMG_20150825_204810.jpg

IMG_20150825_204640.jpgIMG_20150825_204640.jpg

IMG_20150825_204718.jpgIMG_20150825_204718.jpg

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

The DM is worth more than either. If the SST is rough there should be at least few hundred on top.

i was kind of thinking the same on value the only thing I was thinking is mine does have the chipped inserts. So you think $200-$300 to me then even with chipped inserts?

#6 8 years ago

Here's a few pics of the SST

image11.jpgimage11.jpg

image1.jpgimage1.jpg

image9.jpgimage9.jpg

image2.jpgimage2.jpg

image12.jpgimage12.jpg

#7 8 years ago

Sorry some of the pics came out sideways, they weren't like that until I uploaded them on pinside

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

I mis-read your comment. Thought you said right side of PF was planking. Hell you dont play the cabinet. I think SST is already best game of the 3.

I know and that's kind of my thought, not sure if will bug me knowing it's there, probably not after I stick it next to a wall and another game next to it. Just want to make sure I'm not trading away a game that should sell pretty easy for one that's going to be tough to sell due to condition (SST)

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

I'd say go for the Starship Troopers trade. See if you can get a couple hundred bucks thrown your way since the cab is rough on that one, and the blue LED DMD wasn't cheap. Starship Troopers is better than Demo Man in my mind, and either is worlds better than Hurricane.
I want to like the underdog games, but Hurricane boils down to one shot over and over. I like it far less than Shaq Attaq.

Yeah I think that display is about $250-$300. So maybe I'll tell him trade straight up without the display or add $200 for the display, but that then brings me to will I ever use the display in another game? I guess I could always sell it.

I too want to like Hurricane, but don't think it would hold my interest long, I wouldn't mind playing it at someone's house or location, but don't think it would be one to put in my collection even temporarily.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I'll stick with my original estimate. But that SST cabinet side will make it hard to sell. I like the game play of SST better, but condition wise your DM with the display is worth more and easier to sell.
The blue display I have mixed feelings. There are a lot of games it would look good in. But at $250-$300 when for $400 anyone can get a ColordDMD and if the game is not full colored yet set it to blue or any other color. And run Sigma mode until it colored.

I know, I don't overly care about the cabinet, but like you said will make re-sale tough. I think the gameplay on SST looks more fun that DM, but I haven't put much time on one.

I didn't put the blue display in it, the person I bought it from did. It does look great in the game and I like it, but I agree on the price being too high for it when you can get a colordmd for not much more.

#16 8 years ago

Ok, I've pretty much decided Hurricane isn't for me from your opinions and a few Youtube videos I watched.

That leaves me if I should do a trade for this particular SST and if so tittle for title condition for condition what would you think is fair? I'm thinking trade straight up without the blue DMD or $200 to me with the blue dmd? Any thoughts?

I appreciate everyone's input!

#21 8 years ago

That almost seems the way to go, but I don't play it; it's just folded up in a spare room

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Sell your DM outright and buy a much nicer SST with the funds.

I was thinking about this option also. I'm not necessarily sold on a SST, just a different game that I've never had before. Right now I would like to find a Nascar or Grand Prix, but haven't seen one close by. That is one thing nice about SST, is that it's not too far from me.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

SST is cool, although I really like DM too. Have both. SST would probably leave before DM did, by not by tons.
DM as of now straight up in similar condition I would say is worth about $200 more than SST though. If you have a blue display, that's an even crazier deal for the guy with the SST.

My gut feel is to pass on this unless he wants to throw a few bills my way and still am worried about getting rid of his SST later on down the road, but if I get enough money my way I'd be good selling it cheap later to get rid of it. The reason I made this post was to see what was going to be fair to both parties. I appreciate your input!

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I'm glad you posted those pics of sst. I've seen that cl ad several times but had no clue as to the extent of that cabinet damage. I've had DM and it is a fun pin but I didn't keep it long. I'd have to agree with most on the trade. You need some cash to boot. However, the key to DM are the plastics and ramps. Those things are almost impossible to find.
Btw I'm not that far from you if you are ever interested in doing some trading on anything. Always looking for people close lol.

No problem, I was kind of hesitant to post the pictures he sent, but I felt I needed to so people could make a fair assessment of his game. I think I'm going to pass on the deal due to the cabinet. He's had that ad up for quite a while and I'm thinking he has been having trouble trying to get rid of it due to the cabinet, which is the same situation that I would run into later on down the road.

Yeah we can keep in touch and possibly do some trading.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

No problem!
I'll add this that I forgot - while DM can be a sort of violent game, SST is incredibly violent. When I was fixing mine, it made my at the time four year old walk around saying that if you don't do your job, he'll shoot you.
If that sort of thing bothers you, and it sort of did bother me and I'm pretty "eh" with stuff like that, SST is not for you.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't have any kids or anything so that doesn't stuff doesn't bother me and kind of like pinball machines that cuss. I might actually be adding a Stern Playboy to my collection

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I have dealt with him before and he is a super good guy. The cabinet wouldn't bother me for play but I think it would hurt the resale for sure.

Yeah he seems like a good dude and really wish the cabinet was nicer. The cabinet wouldn't bother me too much, maybe a little, but it's the resale I'm worried about.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I am not personally bothered by it that much, but when my four year old son told the mailman that he better do his job right or he was going to shoot him, you get funny looks. Saying "it's in a pinball machine I was fixing, sorry" apparently gets you even stranger looks.

Oh wow, that's funny reading it, but I'm sure it wasn't funny to you at the time or something your son needed to be hearing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 18.95
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindude80.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trade-dm-for-sst-or-hurricane?tu=pindude80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.