64%
  • It depends 11 votes
    12%

(95 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PF-to-Plastics-Nude-Compare2 (resized).jpg
38kdp3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twenty84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Didn't someone do a test on the delay of the signal from the flippers to the board or something when the remakes first came out?
It wasn't much, but people noticed. SOME people noticed, I should say.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

there was no delay, the guy measured it wrong. The v2.0 chip was to fix a different issue.

As the person who did these measurements I feel like I need to chime in to correct this. I did this in response to some comments on a podcast where they felt the remakes had a longer flipper delay than the originals. When I initially did the measurements there was a grounding issue on the original which made it look like it had no delay at all but this wasn't the case. This was corrected in the first page of that thread. Here is what was found:

On original WPC95 games like AFM, MM, MB there is a variable 2-5 ms delay between when the switch on the flipper is closed and the flipper is energized.

On remakes there is the same amount of variation as the originals with an additional delay of about 1.5 ms. This additional delay is likely not perceptible but this its unknown as I don't know if anyone has ever looked at this in a rigorous way.

The engineers at CGC said on future versions of the remakes they would introduce code that allowed the delay to be reduced or eliminated. Perhaps even eliminating the variation that was present in the originals so people could decide if this made a difference or not. As far as I know such changes have not yet been introduced.

I personally preferred the play of the originals to the remakes but skill can't put my finger on why. The games are different at many levels and the differences between them can been seen from across the room so impressions of the games may be shaped by many factors. There are people who cannot detect any difference in gameplay and some people on both sides are very passionate about their opinion on this. In short preference for an original vs remake is an individual choice that you should make for yourself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twenty84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trade-afm-original-for-remake?tu=twenty84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.