(Topic ID: 153726)

Tracking down a closed 100 pt switch - please check my assumptions!

By alb0711

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by alb0711
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 8 years ago

I've got a closed 100 point switch somewhere on my Captain Fantastic. I'm working through the issue with the schematics and my trusty ohm meter.

Assumption 1 - When I ohm out any of my playfield 100 point switches they all read as closed. I'm assuming this is normal because one of the switches is closed and they are connected in parallel.

After going through every playfield switch and the 9 point switch on each of the 10 point score reels, I still haven't found the issue.

Assumption 2 - When I disconnect the playfield from the head, My switches still all ohm out as being closed. I'm assuming this means the closed switch is not in the back box.

Assumption 3 - When I disconnect the playfield from the cabinet, they switches are now all reading as open. I'm assuming this means the closed switch is somewhere in the cabinet relays or score motor.

Good assumptions or..... am missing something?

TIA!
Allen

#2 8 years ago

The playfield plugs into the head? I thought it plugged into the bottom mech board, and that plugged into the head. Memory may be failing...

Are you troubleshooting a stuck/buzzing score reel?

#3 8 years ago

Sorry the head plugs into the bottom mech board - I first disconnected the head from the mech board and still had closed 100 pt switches on playfield I then disconnected playfield from mech board and no longer had closed 100 pt switches. I "think" this points to an issue on the mech board with a relay or score motor switch stack.

Issue is a stuck 100 pt relay causing stuck 100 pt chime solenoid and then advancing through all 5 balls and creating end of game.

Thx!

#4 8 years ago

Is the 100 point relay on the playfield or mech board? You might want to check score motor switch 2C and the the 500 point relay switch with the green/red wire and blue wire...

#5 8 years ago

removing all the playfield plastics makes finding a closed switch easier.

#6 8 years ago

Hi Allen
I do not like meters to measure "continuity" I have one - but I seldom use it. The problem in an EM-Pin is: Therea are many wires and You can measure "continuity" BUT there is NO continuity - you may have a loooong connection all the way around through the (wires in the) transformer. To be 100% sure when measuring: You should (must) unsolder one side of "what You want to check for continuity" - and as I am lazy - I do not want to unsolder -> I do not use my meter.

Your description is not clear - did the pin run - and all of a sudden you have the strange problems ? OR DID YOU BUY A NON-RUNNING PIN ?

You have a "stuck 100-point-Relay (and therefore stuck chime)" - what about the 100-point-Score-Reel ? (Player-1)?

At what moment does the 100-point-Relay start "faulty-pulling" ?
The Main Power-Cord is unplugged - Relay is not pulling.
You plug-in the Main Power-cord - Relay ?
You toggle the main power switch - Relay ?
You push the "Credit-Button / Replay-Button" -> the pin starts-up - Relay ? -> the pin does the Reset - Relay ? -> the pin kicks the ball to the shooter-alley - Relay ?

I believe You have more than one problem - You mention: The pin then advances through the balls to "Game Over". This problem is usually not caused by a stuck 100-point-Relay - but lets see.

Please write about the 100-point-Relay "start-pulling".
One reason the pin can advance through the balls - After the Reset is done: The "Ball-Index-Relay" is faulty-pulling - or a switch on that relay is faulty-ALWAYS-closed.
Look at the Ball-Index-Relay - does it pull after Reset of the score-Reels is done ?
It well can be: The pulling 100-point-Relay does activate the chime AND does activate the Ball-Index-Relay.
When resetting and after reset: The Ball-Index-Relay MUST be "NON-Pulling".

Maybe we are lucky - You have a "faulty-always-closed (Self-Hold) Switch on the 100-point-Relay". Look at this relay - a short wire runs from one side of the coil to a switch mounted (on the relay) - have a look at this switch -> is this witch SECURELY OPEN when the relay is not pulling ?
Greetings Rolf

#7 8 years ago

I followed Rolf's "watch the relays" advice and noticed that the bonus advance relay was pulling at startup. I traced this down to a stuck rollover switch. Once I adjusted the switch game started working normally. Thanks all!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tracking-down-a-closed-100-pt-switch-please-check-my-assumptions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.