Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by zene10
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would an EM-only room add value to TPF, or detract?”

• It would add value 45 votes
      69%
    • It would detract 20 votes
      31%

(65 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180316_201122_resized (resized).jpg
    2877E30C-5DCC-4A5E-BC0B-7685FEDDB920 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider model237.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

TPF was great. But as an EM guy, I could hardly hear the chimes and bells above the general SS din.

I was curious if anyone else would appreciate a walled-off, EM-only area.

#7 6 years ago

19 votes; looks like an EM-only room would be *somewhat* appreciated!

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I think the real issue is that so many people crank their games up so damn loud and then it over powers everything else.

Yeah, I forgot there's a volume knob on SS machines. So we get volume escalation and Mutually Assured Hearing Destruction

This is the first year I noticed a number of people wearing earplugs.

#17 6 years ago

I've only ever been to the Texas show. Do any other shows segregate EMs?

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Reality is i just really enjoy being able to play an EM, step to the next game over and play a SS Bally classic, step to the left and play a DMD, turn around and play a new game. And by having them all in 1 room, the people that would normally only seek out the DMDs are going to say "hmm line is too long, what is this old one about?" and then "hey, that was fun!"

That's a perspective I hadn't considered.

Personally, unless it was a machine I really wanted to play, I found myself avoiding EMs sited next to loud DMD/SS machines, both for the noise and the crowds clustered around the DMDs.

So I guess it can go both ways.

I find playing a flashy DMD/SS machine puts me in a faster/louder mindset that can make an adjacent EM feel plain and boring. I need a break to change gears and go back into "retro mode", which is a big part of the draw for me.

I would enjoy an EM-only room not only for the noise isolation, but also because I could pretend I'm back in 1974, playing at the boardwalk.

Maybe TPF could give EM contributors the choice to place their machines in the EM room or in the main room?

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

EM’s, especially multiplayers, offer the most socially dynamic pinball experience, period. They belong together... but not in a way resembling isolation on a desert island.
    Think of multiplayer EM’s like other short-turn multiplayer games: Billiards, darts, cornhole, bowling, etc. One shot, one player. Next shot, next player.
    Ever notice how these games are always clustered together but still remain within the field of view of the other games? So it is with EM’s. Keep them together but still within eyesight of the others as if to say, “Hey... we’re different... but come over and give us a try!”
    That’s only the first part. Other enhancements can be made to the EM experience. I’ll be rolling out some of these design philosophies at RPM soon after I get there.

Seems to me a permanent museum and a 3-day festival have certain similarities, but many differences.

I can understand wanting to keep EMs visible to the SS/DMD crowd, but I have my doubts the young noob set would avoid an EM-only room, as DCRand attests. I suspect the noise isolation would actually enhance the appeal: "Hey, what's in THIS quieter room? Wow, a bunch of wooden bell and chime-ringing machines with cool retro graphics." For me the noise factor trumps the line of sight argument.

In a museum, you can set your SS/DMD volume knobs appropriately and then the attendance levels are nowhere near as high as a TPF, except maybe at peak hours.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider model237.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tpf-should-there-be-an-em-only-room?tu=model237 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.