(Topic ID: 122955)

TPF: Great Show....Terrible Tournament(s)

By Tsskinne

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 228 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chet
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2015-04-02-00-01-57.png
    20150329_084354.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#133 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I think some people really don't comprehend how games end up in a tournament, instead of out on the free-play floor. This decision isn't made by the show staff, or even the Tournament Director. It's made by the person bringing the game . The TD has an almost impossible job. He must ask the entire community for games, and hope that the ones that are being donated are working 100%. If they end up short, they have to commit their own games to the tournament (if they haven't already).
    So...criticizing Marcus for bringing (at least) 3 excellent games for his own tournament is either mean-spirited or intellectually lazy. If you flew to Texas and decided that it wasn't worth $2.50 to play those games, I just feel sorry for you. I kept pumping money into Dragonfist even after I got my qualifying score on it. And there was almost never a wait to play it, which was awesome. I'm not made of money, but I think it's pretty churlish to complain about the nicer games being in the tournaments - you're basically bitching at the people who brought those nice games. And I'm really surprised to see one of the show's organizers piling on. The Texas Retro tournament is the main reason I plan to come back next year - and I know it will be even better.

Yeah, you basically have to beg, borrow and steal. Often you have to deal with paranoid owners who don't want to give you the keys. Maybe 1 in 5 games is actually working 100%, so hours of tech to get them ready.

One guy offered to let me use his game, but if it sold, he would have to pull it at any time with no notice. He was surprised when I turned him down.

A funny thing happens psychologically when you put a game in the tournament area. Suddenly EVERYONE just has to play it. "Can I just play one game?" And then the complaints on the message boards about how the tournament takes all the "good" games.

When I ran PPE 2011, and I made our "tournament game only" signs, I put in the fine print: "There are 16 games in the tournament room and over 400 in the main room. No, you cannot play these games if you are not in the tournament. Please enjoy one of the other 400 games. Thank You."

#175 9 years ago
    Quoted from Sc1f1:

I agree Zaxxis.
    Run the tournament for fun not work it to make more WPPRs.
    I'm just going to run my events they way I want and let the WPPRs fall where they may.

Everyone I've spoken with lately who runs tournaments is talking about maximizing wpprs under the new rules. I think it's partly a perception issue: a combination of the removal of the base value as well as no longer being able to combine main and side wppr points. Tournaments seem to be "worth less" so every effort is made to squeeze the max points out.

I think the situation will mellow out in time as people get used to the new normal. The fact that some tourneys will now be too grindy for some peoples' taste is a small problem compared to the problems of the old system.

I agree, though, run the tournaments the way you want and let the wppr chips fall where they may. For all but a small number of players it's about the fun and social aspects of competition.

#184 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

It addresses one of the concerns in my previous posts

The idea is that we don't have noobs buying a single ticket and playing 1 game thinking they they have a chance to qualify based on that one ticket. Noobs should understand what they are getting into, and that they need to play every game to even have a shot.

I suggested the starter pack idea to Bowen a few years ago at CAX for exactly the same reasons. I think it sort of worked, not sure. Maybe he can comment.

For all tournaments where the TD expects to be too busy to explain the rules a million times, or where an orientation isn't really practical (too loud, no set start time for all players, etc), the full rules should be posted somewhere in the tourney area.

I also suggest a one page simple explanation of how the tournament works. It should include:

1)The basic format
    2)The schedule (even if approximate, i.e. Finals will start 6 PM or ASAP after Qualifying ends)
    3)Link to online standings web site
    4)Link to online full rules, and/or make players aware that full rules are posted in the tournament area.
    5)How to get help.

This last part I always phrase like this:

"If you have questions, remember, there is only one of me and a lot of you. Please:

1) Read the posted rules
    2) Ask another player
    3) Ask a score keeper

If your question is still not answered, feel free to ask me."

Another idea I had for PAGG (but got lazy) was making a short "How the tournament works" video and posting it here on pinside. I think it would serve the dual purpose of informing some participants directly but also enabling them to knowledgeably answer other players' questions at the event itself.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tpf-great-showterrible-tournaments?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.