(Topic ID: 122955)

TPF: Great Show....Terrible Tournament(s)

By Tsskinne

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 228 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chet
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2015-04-02-00-01-57.png
    20150329_084354.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gov.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 9 years ago

I went into the festival fully expecting to play some of the tournaments, but after watching how qualifying was going on Friday and talking to people I decided not to bother. I personally think that there were just too many divisions. At $3 a pop, trying to figure out which division to enter was too tough as just playing each machine once was going to be a big chunk of change and an even bigger chunk of time. Far and away the tournament had some of the nicest games there, which is what it should, but it had a LOT of the best classic games that were ONLY available to play in the tournament area. I really love having variety in a tournament, but there were at least 6-8 games in the tournament area that I had never even seen in person before and would have loved to play them, but not at $3 a shot. I know it is a hard line to balance on, but it is already an expensive weekend as it sits. There were several prize winning machines in the tournament area that I never even got to look at as the tournament was always going on and that area was off limits to non-tournament players.

FWIW I thought last years tournament balanced this aspect really well as nearly all of the tournament games had duplicates out on the show floor for people to play. It seemed like nearly half or more of the 25+ (?) tournament games were the only of their kind at the show. (working at least)

I know Marcus is really passionate about this tournament and really works hard all year to make it happen and it sucks that it had kind of a bad showing, but I know he will only strive to make it better next year. I really do love playing in tournaments, but the time it takes at a show like this really makes it unappealing as you can't really enjoy the rest of the show or seminars if you are playing in the tourney.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

PROBLEM FOR NOOBS #2:
    Format confusion. To most noobs, their idea of a tournament is a single elimination bracket like March Madness. A noob-friendly explanation of:
    a) The concept of "qualifying"
    b) The qualification format
    c) The finals format
    should be prominently posted in a physical location. Not just on the internet, what we want is 3 gigantic posters.
    Also, if the format can't be explained adequately for noobs in a poster, it probably shouldn't be used at a show like this.
    Example: Let's say the tournament was a basic 10-game Herb with a double elim best-of-3 final taking top 8, next 8, next 8 for A B C divisions. (i know this wasn't the format used but it is similar to formats used in the past and at other events, and this is just for an example of what posters could look like)
    Poster 1 would explain that there are 2 phases to the tournament, qualifying and finals: In order to qualify, you must put up at least 1 score on each of the 10 games, the top 8 qualifiers will go to A division, the next 8 (subject to IFPA rank restriction) will go to B, the next 8 (subject to IFPA rank restriction) will go to C.
    Poster 2 would explain that your best score on each game will be ranked against all other players best scores, and that you score Herb Points for where your score places in rank, and the total Herb Points will determine whether you qualify and your seed. Call them Herb Points so players don't get them confused with the points on the game.
    Poster 3 would show a sample finals bracket and explain that you need to win 2 out of 3 games in a match to move on, sending your opponent to the losers bracket. Explain that the higher seed gets choice of game, and that the losers bracket winner must defeat the winners bracket winner in 2 MATCHES to win.
    Also have another poster that shows payouts and prizes.

Some good suggestions here. I think a great thing would be to have fewer concurrent tourneys going on. Have a standard 10 game tourney with the different divisions and then maybe have a 5 game classics. A lot less confusion and less decision making regarding having to choose what to play in. You could still have the women's, kids, split flipper as well but I think the whole thing would be more manageable and let tourney players have the opportunity to still enjoy the show instead of spending the entire weekend in the tourney area.

#160 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Lanes were completely open man...if Marcus wanted to take rubbers off the outlane posts, he could have done so. Same deal with the tilt bob. I set it as a courtesy and expect it to be changed to be tighter by tournament directors using my machines. It's my personal opinion that a solid nudge should give one warning, a shove or good shake two warnings, and any kind of slide is most likely a tilt.

Yes. This is my fault. I was aware of this prior to the tournament, and even one of the guys down in Austin took me pictures of the damn flipper alignment and I totally forgot to even try to correct it. That's on me. Congo, for whatever dumbass reason, doesn't have the alignment holes, and I can't, for the life of me, figure out how the hell to set the upper flipper to make the mystery cave shot. Personally, short of it being used for the super jackpot, that shot is WAAAAAY too lucrative IMO as it starts both a video mode which can award a crapton of points safely (GO LEFT, MAN!), but also does the 50 million per shot in Amy mode, which on some other Congo I have played is way too easy to repeat shoot from the post held release.
    I'm open on feedback how to adjust the flippers for this game, so let me know in what way you feel they need to be adjusted. I specifically removed Superbands and put on brand new red rubber for this, so it may also be that people were not having to re-acclimate themselves to shots that are at different times on superbands..
    http://pinballtourneys.com/TPF2015/machine_info.php?MName=Congo~~Texas+Tilt+Saturday
    These are not spectacular scores from a bunch of guys that I know for a fact are well acclimated with Congo.. it looks to me like if people felt the times were too long, the tilt needed to be tighter. With good play, Congo is VERY controllable and the rules provide consistent awards.
    Other than this, the only feedback I've gotten was the color changers in ZINJ someone said it was hard to tell if they were lit or not.. if it ever goes back in a tourney bank, I'll put those on a cool white or something. I don't think it's an issue, and it's a cool effect, but hey...I get it.

On mine I just used a straight edge and aligned the top edge of the flipper to be straight in line with the return lane.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gov.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tpf-great-showterrible-tournaments?tu=gov and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.