(Topic ID: 122955)

TPF: Great Show....Terrible Tournament(s)

By Tsskinne

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 228 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chet
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2015-04-02-00-01-57.png
    20150329_084354.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ruger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#187 9 years ago

Thanks Marcus, Ken, Robert, Ed and all the volunteers. Running a massive set of tournaments at a large show is a big task. I've finally gotten around to reading all the comments. Good constructive feedback. But another set of thanks from me to all those that busted their asses running it.

For those that might not have been there, or were there and haven't played in many other tournaments, the game selection and quality at TPF this year was far above and beyond all other tournaments, with few exceptions. Finding the number of high quality games, despite some of the mechanical issues encountered, is a rarity in the world of tournament pinball. When I walked in I was amazed, and I had been to TPF before and plenty of tournaments around the country. Not even the games at the National Championship / Pinmasters were as nice as TPF's this weekend. So grats on that.

Regarding the issues that were encountered, that happens. It's Murphy's law. It happened to the Fairfax Pinball Open last year that was a PAPA Circuit event. As executive director of FPO, I've never been so stressed. But the overall player base had patience and we worked it out. But it was tough, as was what you guys experienced during this year's TPF.

I'll make some pointers to Marcus directly as I have some things I can help bring to the table from other tournaments, etc. Many of the same points other posters have mentioned, and a few more. TPF as a show, and the unending efforts that everyone involved go through to make these tournaments happen really make me want TPF to be an even bigger success. Yes, many tournament players may pan TPF tournaments based on their own experience or previous issues. And yes, I took my own medicine on accidentally continuing in A division when I should have dropped to B after a loss, winning a few matches in A, then dropping to B where I was out because the other player had lost a match. So be it, shit happens. And do I want to spend that much money on tournaments? Well, I do plan to spend money on big tournaments and spent my budgeted $200, but easily could have spent $300 if I really wanted to do well in all 5.

Having said that, it's still a fun experience, minus the waiting around all night Saturday night - but that is easily fixed and I plan on helping out in those areas next year as much as Marcus and company want me to. TPF is such an awesome show and really such a good time that all of the issues encountered this year can be smoothed out. There are lots of players such as myself that have learned a LOT of lessons through running a variety of tournaments, that we can...maybe even are somewhat obligated...to assist others in making their tournaments a bigger success.

I look forward to next year, the incredible games that will be in the tournament, and a much smoother experience. Regardless of what did happen, it was an awesome time hanging out with everyone, grinding for position and getting to know more and more pinball enthusiasts.

Give TPF tournaments another chance and don't forget to enjoy the show. I did this time around and had a great time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ruger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tpf-great-showterrible-tournaments?tu=Ruger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.